- 8Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200Mhz@3200Mgz

- Samsung 960 Evo

- PicoPSU but have tried full ATX also

- Windows 10 b1803

- Andrenaline 18.5 (at present), display driver 24.20.11016.4

- no O/C anywhere yet

- system & CPU temps never cross 40°C

- Monitor is a 4K+HDR television.

I've recently built this machine (brand new) but am having constant crashes anytime I try to do anything graphics-related. I get a number of different blue-screen reports:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

KERNEL_something-something-I-forget-exactly

and there was another one which I forget also.

And depending on the case I have had two registers called out also:

atikmdag.sys

dxgmm2.sys

So it -seems- to point to something Radeon-driver-related.

I am currently using BIOS L4.51D; I had the 4.60 on before but changed it as I thought I was getting system shutdowns randomly; appears it's just the OS shutting off the CPU fan when sleeping - seemed odd to me but ok.

I was using a 17.x Radeon driver, upgraded to the 18.5.1 but that hasn't helped.

- Playing Youtube in 4K it will sometimes last a fair while, an hour or so or sometimes only a few minutes; then the Chrome tab may crash or the video might start going blocky or distorted, sometimes one then the other.

- Playing HEVC 265 video in VLC crashes the computer within a few minutes. Playing on MPC-HC lasted a bit longer, got up to 30mins or so.

I have tried with multiple memory sticks (have some 2666 modules here, also tried running the 3200 at only 2133) and multiple PSUs. No tangible differences in behaviour there.

I don't have anything happening on this machine at present; it's to be the HTPC so only a couple of media players installed, and nothing heavy yet.

Another thing - if I enable the HDR + WCG setting in windows, the CPU grinds to almost a halt when playing a 4K HDR video in Youtube. Weird..

Some 'progress' I have made:

I removed all AMD drivers using the AMD Cleanup Utility. Then I re-installed the graphics drivers -only- and manually using Device Manager and not the packaged installation. Full disclosure, the driver package I used for this was the amd-chipset-drivers18.10.0418 which I guess I downloaded in April; Radeon driver version actually lists the same as when installed by the new Adrenaline package release yesterday (24.20.11016.4) so that's a bit odd. Well it also says 'Driver date 16/05/2018 so I'm not entirely sure how that happened But in any case the install was done manually through DM and not the package installer.

With this driver installed and none of the other AMD bits (other than Ryzen Master) I am able to watch any 4K Youtube or HEVC media without suffering the crashes - EXCEPT when I turn the HDR + WCG mode on. With that mode enabled I see the same crashes as before.

Any ideas? Bad CPU/board/driver install?

I'm going to try another full removal of the drivers, and run the packager from scratch in the meantime.

0 Likes
8 Replies
a13antichrist
Newcomer

Status update.

After first running AMD Clean util, I rebooted into Safe Mode. Before running Guru process, when switching user from dummy to admin, system crashed & rebooted again. OK :/ This in Safe Mode still.

Ok finally after booting back to safe mode, ran the Guru cleaner and back to Windows.

installed "Chipset Drivers" labelled 18.10.0418. I noted that the items being installed were:

AMD PSP

AMD SMBus

AMD GPIO

AMD Graphics Driver 24.x

Balanced Power Plan 2.0.0

A note on these 'chipset drivers' - when installing, it says I'm using 18.10, but that there's a newer recommended version 18.5 (the adrenaline). Bit curious..

Allowed to install. Rebooted - Windows failed to start after two atttempts. So I stripped off all the drivers again. This time I skipped the "chipset drivers" and went straight to the new Adrenaline 18.5.1. After install I checked that all the previous components were there & with the same or better driver versions - they were. So either the driver removal didn't touch them or the Adrenaline 18.5 installs them also.

Eventually I got the system back into its correct state. I like to tempt fate, so I went straight for HDR mode. Both Chrome & Edge crash on any YouTube video within seconds. Chrome just kills the tab; Edge actually crashes the system (although to be fair, I only tried Edge once).

Playing videos while in HDR has given me a number of different BSODs (all in the last 2 hours):

- SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

- SYSTEM_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED: atikmdag.sys

- DRIVER_IRQL_etc_etc: dxgmm2.sys

- VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE: atikmdag.sys

When not doing anything video-related, i.e. just streaming an internet radio station through Chrome, system doesn't seem to be complaining. Been running about an hour now no complaints, this is still with HDR on.

One thing I did note: the "PTC" in the Ryzen Master is running at 95°C. Gotta look into that..

Now I will try raw 4K with no HDR before diving into any memory & voltage changes.

0 Likes
k1ng4rthur
Adept I

have u tried with WIN 10 1709?, i have been issues with 1803 when sleepping too.

my system only is stable in DEFAULT BIOS SETTING in Windows 1709 but the clock of CPU is max 2.8 -3.0Ghz so weird, if I choose the optimized config i got random crashes (OC mode by ASUS, CPU 3.8Ghz).

ASUS B350M-A PRIME & ryzen 3 2200g.

0 Likes

I was on 1709 before and stilll had the crashes, 1803 got forced on me during one of the crashes when I wasn't paying attention. I'm now playing with RAM voltages & HDR settings and so far the only one I've found with no issues over a couple of hours is disabling the XMP profile and setting the memory voltage to +.05 (so 1.4V). At this setting the RAM runs at 2133 which of course is far from ideal.....

0 Likes
kyotwo
Adept I

R3 2200G here too.....now i am worried as I am downloading the 18.5.1 ... The previous Q2 2018 Update was working fine as i just exported some video files mins ago using Adobe Premiere.

i am using stock cooler with no OC - MSI B350M Gaming Pro mobo and one 8 gig 2400 Corsair Value ram

0 Likes
plumboby
Miniboss

Have you disabled fast boot. Fast boot is a known issue with windows 10 & AMD drivers. Have had experience in it myself with using SSDs.

0 Likes

I've tried it today and it is working fine with me nothing positive or negative so fsr ... Tried it with a 10 min video render and some fortnite and dark souls nothing out of norm ... Even installed AMD Relive externally and it's working fine

0 Likes

But are you using the HDR mode in windows Display Settings, "HDR + WCG"? This is when I get my crashes. I left lots of x265 videos playing overnight last night and everything was fine. But if I turn on the HDR mode and/or change any configuration in the Radeon Settings under 'Pixel depth' & 'Colour Depth' (certain of these activate/deactivate the HDR mode) then I will get crashes of either the player or the whole system without 15-30minutes, sometimes much faster.

0 Likes
a13antichrist
Newcomer

Sooo it might be my ram. Turns out my modules aren't --officially-- supported, at least not that I could find.. I threw in some different sticks (that definitely --are-- on all the lists [AMD + mobo] and at least at 2133 it's running stable. I don't wanna say it, but.. Core chips never had this problem... :/

0 Likes