cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

Stutters after updating to 17.12.1 (and all new Adrenalin drivers) in games and general browsing on RX560

Jump to solution

Stutters appear in lots of different games and in a browser like firefox while simply using it. Note, that some games run fine with new drivers, but overall experience using new driver is just awful, so i have to install older 17.11.4 version which runs perfectly fine without lags anywhere. Using RX 560 and WIndows 10 1709. Tried to do clean install trough AMD installer too.
P.S Clean installing windows didn't help, DDU didn't help either and if it works fine on older driver then it's a new driver issue confirmed.
Just so you know
CPU: AMD A10 5800k 
RAM: 4gb DDR3
Motherboard: Asus F2A55 M-LE
GPU: Radeon RX560 (obv)
Only one monitor connected via DVI-D.
Also system uses only the external GPU and prebuilt one in APU doesn't work at all.

And no, i don't blame AMD or my cards vendor (gigabyte). I just want the issue to be fixed, because it really stops me from using all the new goods from adrenalin driver.

Just a small note there where i want to explain what i've noticed from using it:

In most cases new drivers seem to try to use lower frequencies overall, for both memory and core. This leads to situations in some easy games/apps (i tried osu! with all graphics crap disabled because it annoys during gameplay itself) and when i was playing, the frequencies were jumping like crazy (used afterburner to look at them), creating lots of drops in frame time which leads to terrible gameplay.

However, when i tested the same thing on the old (17.11.4) driver and the same game, frequencies were stuck at their maximal value and the gameplay was really smooth, since the frame time wasn't jumping like crazy.
And i did try uninstalling all the overlay software (afterburner) and other hw thing like HWINFO64, they aren't causing this issue.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

Re: Stutters after updating to 17.12.1 (and all new Adrenalin drivers) in games and general browsing on RX560

Jump to solution

Situation has improved for me with 18.4.1, now desktop performance is again comparable to pre Adrenalin drivers. At least.

However, that's still not perfect. The mouse cursor can still stutter and Firefox scroll lock is problematic too. AMD driver on Linux doesn't show any stuttering, and Nvidia's and Intel's Windows drivers hardly ever either. So, further improvements would be welcome.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
64 Replies
Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

Re: I experience stutters after updating to 17.12.1(17.12.2 too) in games and general browsing

Jump to solution

I've been reporting this since Adrenalin 17.12 via the feedback form. It's really annoying, I have to use ClockBlocker to enforce full clocks against the stutter. This is still the case with 18.2.1.

17.11.4 is much better. However, also this version shows some mouse cursor stutter, mostly when memory clock changes.

Any reaction from AMD, please? Are RX 560 customers not important? The card is btw. missing in the feedback form.

Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

Re: I experience stutters after updating to 17.12.1(17.12.2/18.1.1/18.2.1 too) in games and general browsing

Jump to solution

because of this problem i had to stay with 17.11.1 and use mouse trails to prevent the mouse lag

Highlighted
Miniboss
Miniboss

Re: I experience stutters after updating to 17.12.1(17.12.2/18.1.1/18.2.1 too) in games and general browsing

Jump to solution

I was having the same issues on the same card. Few things to check which i had to do run the adrenaline driver from early December is the most stable driver atm of release. Do a clean install of windows creators update on SSD the creators update has screwed a few my hard drives lately. Check you psu & make sure your getting plenty of juice to your videocard. Running a 600w PSU atm & mines running stable on older drivers atm. I havnt been able to get on for the last 2 weeks coz of driver issues till now. If you use cc cleaner clean your registry needs to be done. Download DDU on a flash drive usb & Older drivers boot to safe mode run DDU in safe mode & wipe drivers, then run a cc cleaner & a full Hard drive clean in safe mode to clear any issues. Boot back to normal windows i ended up doing this threw my CPU inbuilt graphics & ran another cc cleaner & wiped any older updates from windows creator updates, cc cleaner then i loaded up older drivers then switched back to my videocard to see if it worked. It finally did tho i switched a set of ram sticks & threw in a 600w psu to make sure. ITs stable atm tho i had giving AMD a bit of abuse about the drivers. This is what i did to get mine up & running i had 1 muppet tell me it was my hardware when it wasn't & proven it as when i got it up & running was pulling power figures & screenshotting for an IT m8 of mine. The drivers need alot of work between microsoft & AMD atm.

Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

Jump to solution

yeah I did everything to fix it but didn't manage to do much, I am on a laptop its an HP af148ca and I understand that but it's been a long time now I really want a new stable driver

Highlighted
Miniboss
Miniboss

Jump to solution

Atm stable as on the 17.12.1 driver tho to afraid to use the later driver. I liked the 17.12.2 driver it was nice didnt experience any issues with the dx9 games that were mentioned. I got caught in the mid jan update cycles & 10 has a tendancy over the time i have used it to nuke my old hard drives. I found with 10 a lot comes down to what its installed on why i am going SSD save replacing who HHD & reloading with data. Tho atm use RX560 series owners dont have the bug diver support where there a lot of us running these cards. I Love my Sapphire RX560OC 4G they are so under rated card for the price another thing i learnt you need a dedicated & decent PSU wattage matters its better having a buffer. I havnt bothers OC tho this is where a lot of People are going wrong i am still prety much running up & in my card. I am on a dirty old i5 2400 8G ram. Playing Withcher 3 Medium High without the card getting warm or fans kicking on loudly my i5 cooling fan does more work. I been playing as well Sniper Elite 4 its a fantastic game AMD have a true gem of a card we need more support as I do a lot of relive recordings & throw up my runs on U Tube promoting these cards. I got it for $200 NZ on boxing day sales prety wrapped & these cards on older builds are under rated card. Once they get some stable drivers AMD is far ahead of Nvidia but to many biased people around & a lot of $ pushed on Nvidia once The Vegas drivers sort out there be a follow on effect for support for us. I be keen to be a Beta driver tester just to sort the odd issues. As i got a stepson that beta tests for certain gaming companies & want to change him to AMD but afraid the driver support needs help just dont wanna brick his build coz of driver clashes. I build a lot of budget gaming builds & worked with 10 & 8.1 & very open minded on PC building I got this card for the giggles & extra video ram compared to any Nvidia cards were easy 1/3 more for not as great card. Please help us AMD any tricks & tips i will be posting things that have worked & other work around for other ideas from another perpective. I do a bit of YouTubing with uploads & guides will be doing another couple video walkthroughs for other issues & ways to look on a stripped build with no bloatware & crap you dont need. As i feel a few these videos might give a few ideas or things over looked. I am going to do a few & the i found the cleanest Relive recording was the 18.1.1 driver for 3 days till i got bricked tho the 17.12.2 driver i found the best but then deteriorated where the 17.12.1 is stable. Tho chill isnt as good as the later drivers fan better cooling profiles tho easy to work around,

Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

Jump to solution

Sadly same here... Using RX 550. With 17.12 , 18.1.1 and 18.2.1 i experience huge fps drops and stutters in games, it was simply not playable, currenutly using 17.11 and everything works fine, except sometimes i have mouse cursor stutters.

Highlighted
Miniboss
Miniboss

Jump to solution

I just wound my mouse sensitivity up in my 10 settings that made a huge diffrence. All my games I have wound my sensitivity up even I all my games I play. I play a of EA , beta, alpha testing of games when I can or I get a free key threw facebook or steam. My i5 is cranking at full power as it is threw 10 which makes a diffrence. I found the mouse hang is from 10 more than AMD drivers tho I use a cheap wired no issues gaming or what I do with it. $15.00 mouses work extremely well & last the distance considering. Theres myths about people not getting full power with the pc's threw 10 holding them back but you dont need fancy programs to Unlock cores even on 10. I rather use a few more watts & have a stable PC the way I build them, Another trick to get  the best out of a AMD Intel build & how I build my builds without an issue I over estimate on my PSU as the new PSU's dont last like the older PSU's, allowing for them aging & loosing effecientcy & deteriation. I stick with 600w & replace every 2-3 years PSU are cheap compared needing a system rebuild. Mines been going a week on the 17.12.1 drivers without a crash flickering or any driver related issues considering quite happy tho hope MS & AMD start communicating a bit more go give us the drivers we need. Like to have drivers where I can give my build a really good push & get the most out of it some RX series 550-560 driver range & equivilents cards back to the 200 series. Be intrested in seeing on both AMD/Nvidiai sales sheets of the lower spec cards being sold what the % who buy them.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

Jump to solution

Still not fixed with 18.2.2, going to report it via the feedback form again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

Jump to solution

Still not fixed with Adrenalin 18.2.3.

0 Kudos