cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

theacclaimed1
Adept II

Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin has black screen during cutscenes

Final Fantasy Origin just launched on Epic Games store and the game seems to have an issue with cutscenes either freezing or showing a blackscreen while the audio continues to play. Interestingly enough, the overlay subtitles will display on screen but the rendering of the cutscene either freezes or does not display. 

Tested on 22.2.3, 21.11.2, and 21.10.2 all result in the same issue. Changing graphics settings, resolution, monitor refresh, disabling freesync, enhanced sync, and smart access memory make no difference. Also tried forcing -dx11 and -dx12 rendering in the command line arguments on the Epic Games launcher and this made no difference.

This is how it looks when the image displays but freezes while the audio and subtitles continue to advance. Note that the game itself doesn't freeze, just the rendering of the characters and environment during the cutscene. All major cutscenes are affected.

theacclaimed1_0-1647497738697.png

This is the blackscreen issue. Note that the game audio continues to play and the subtitles advance as normal. 

theacclaimed1_1-1647497816089.png

After the cutscene (blackscreen) finishes the game continues to display correctly.

theacclaimed1_2-1647497895653.png

Test system:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x (stock)
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VIII Hero (bios 3801)
RAM: 64gb G.Skill 3200mhz
PSU: Corsair HX1200
GPU: Radeon RX 6800 XT (AMD reference)
Game is installed on Samsung 860 QVO 2TB

0 Likes
4 Replies
theacclaimed1
Adept II

The issue seems to have been resolved though I'm not sure what changed. Maybe it was version 1.01 but I saw no notifications or patches installed through the Epic Games launcher. 

In any case the game seems to run really well on Radeon compared to the competition based on what I've seen online.

0 Likes

Correction, the issue still occurs but less often. However, once you get the blackscreen on cutscenes it cannot be corrected without closing and relaunching the game. Seems like there might be a memory leak or memory management issue as well. 

0 Likes

I recommend updating to 22.3.1 to see if that helps your issue. In addition, you may also want to contact the developer of the game as it has just been released to see if they are aware of any issues and if they plan to release any updates for the game.
0 Likes

Turn off any AMD enhancements, like image sharpening.

All of my cutscenes work after doing this.