cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

DallasDan
Adept I

Strange Behavior in AMD Adrenalin Stress Test 6900xt

I have a Red Devil 6900xtxh Ultimate.  I am not over clocking the card or any other part of the system.  The card has a good factory OC and don’t get into over clocking until the end of my time with a card.  Was looking around in the drivers and had never used the AMD stress test so I gave it a try.  The card fails the stress test no matter the time set for the test.  The system never crashes or hangs, when the test is over it says it failed.

The clocks listed by Power Color on this card are, Boost Clock - OC Mode: Up to 2425MHz, Game Clock: Up to 2235MHz.  However the stress test is pushing the GPU 2600 MHz+, so beyond the clock settings provided by the manufacturer.  My assumption is this is a driver or program error causing the failure of the test.  I have tested the card in OCCT graphics test and run stress testing in 3DMARK with no issues.  I also have no issues in any game with the GPU under load.  I am going to try a clean install of the driver but this could be an issue if stress testing an over clock.  

Driver 22.7.1

3 Replies
DallasDan
Adept I

Rolling back to 22.6.1 corrects the issue.  Boost clocks are in the manufactures range and no errors reported.

Woopow
Adept I

I have an Aorus RX 6800 XT with the same issue with the stress test. I noticed that at the end of the stress test the GPU clock speed drops to nearly zero just before the test times out (earlier versions do not do this). After reviewing stress test performances with previous versions of Adrenalin software, I believe that it is a programming change or error causing the results for a failed stress test. The GPU functions normally and does not run hot or have latency issues/low fps. Keep in mind that if a stress test fails, in my experience with overclocking, the PC will stop responding to inputs, Wattman settings may be restored to a default setting, or the PC will be forced to restart, and the Wattman settings will be reset at that time. 

I have noticed no issues with performance so far while gaming with 22.7.1. 

0 Likes
Woopow
Adept I

Oh my, lol. Sorry guys. That was essentially what the second paragraph of the initial post described. I was just excited to respond I suppose. Did reinstalling the 22.7.1 driver repair the issue with the stress test? 

0 Likes