cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

suede299
Journeyman III

StoreMI causes file loss. Always happens after a reboot

1、After decompressing one 79G zip package to the drive, the decompressed program file is complete and works normally.
2、After rebooting or shutting down the computer, the previously decompressed program becomes unavailable. Check the files and find that some of the files are lost and another part of the file size becomes 0KB.
3、After using chkdsk /f, a large number of file fragments can be recovered from this drive. However, it was not possible to restore it to a usable state.
4, Repeating the above operation can reproduce the failure 100%.

What I have tried
1. Turn off antivirus software
2. Switch the SSD driver to the version provided by intel/microsoft
3. Turn off Storage Sense
4. When the file size of 1 operation is small, the failure cannot be reproduced even if multiple operations are performed.

info:
storemi ver:2.1.0.218

b550  AGESA 1.2.0.7

(Non-os located drive)Intel optane m15 32G + hgst 7K4 4t

win10 21h2 x64

0 Likes
4 Replies
DimkaTsv
Miniboss

Isn't StoreMi just variant of SSD cache for HDD? If yes then there probably no permament files made on SSD. Making any sort of power failure cause of data loss if it wasn't written to HDD completely. But such thing is unusual for Windows though. Same stuff happens with USB drives on Linux (especially with something formatted in, like, ext4 for example) if you don't extract them first. You just may lose a LOT of data as operations don't become completed. 

Question is. If you reboot PC how fast after finishing work with program it becomes missed after finished reboot? Like 10 seconds, 1 minute? It should be dependant on speed of HDD at this point, meaning large program/files, longer delay required...
Granted i have no idea how StoreMi actually works, as i cannot even try it myself

0 Likes

Thanks for your reply
According to the principle of the new version of storemi, cache speedup is not performed on a file-by-file basis.
So there is no writing from SSD cache to HDD, which is mentioned in the new release QA, reducing the possibility of data loss.
Oddly enough, as long as I don't restart the computer, the last step of unpacking or copying is perfectly fine and available, no matter how much time has passed.
If a large amount of data was manipulated in a single operation during the last boot, then after restarting the computer, a part of it is bound to go wrong, and a scan with chkdsk /f can get file corruption information.
When this happens, none of it is an abnormal shutdown/power off. When restarting, there is no pop-up window to force the end of the process, I even tried to do a logout before shutting down the computer, and the result is the same. There has been no hibernation or fastboot on win either.

0 Likes
kellyhilton123
Journeyman III

I install storemi 2.0 form AMD's website

After reboot, I got BSOD with message "inaccessible boot device "

Does anyone here have same problem?

MB:

GIGABYTE X570 AORUS ELITE WIFI with F12e BIOS

CPU:

R7 3700X

0 Likes
suede299
Journeyman III

I'll post some of the problems I've used, and possible solutions here.

Problem one, 65536 error reported during installation

Ensure that the following items.

1. the registry on the storemi items, values deleted clean.

2. A card note, if the driver with ryzenmastersdk, you need to download ryzenmaster, install the point reset, reboot, and then uninstall him.

3. the system disk SSD connected to the pcie channel provided by the cpu (look at the motherboard instructions on m.2, remember this, there are other issues related to this later. But not all system ssd plugged into the pcie provided by the chipset will report this 65536 error. (My ocs rd400 will report, intel905p will not report)

Problem 2, obviously the platform in the list of supported, but prompt your platform is not supported, can not be installed.

1. Use "Create and format partition", select SSD for acceleration, and delete the volume.

2. Device Manager to find the controller of the SSD for acceleration, make sure it is a standard nvme controller, if not, right click to uninstall the device and check the Delete driver.

3. amd forum can not reproduce the example seen, replace the HDD sata interface to the interface with a toggle switch, the toggle switch refers to other interfaces on the motherboard to occupy this channel of sata.

Question three, on the example of lost files

My 100% reproduction method: decompression of a game package that exceeds the SSD cache capacity, to the drive in the acceleration, open the game, can be used normally; reboot or shutdown, open the game again, all kinds of error or prompt file loss; check the files under the game folder, will find a large number of files of size 0, using the command line chkdsk /f, can sweep out a lot of fragments. Due to this, went to do a lot of understanding, now the storemi is not a file-based unit, each side of a copy of the establishment of hard links to accelerate, and I just finished unpacking the game, as long as not shut down, open the game are all normal, once rebooted or shut down 1 time, before the normal operation of the game, also can not open, the file under the incomplete. So it is suspected that this is something he should have had some operation when shutting down and restarting, but shutting down did not wait for it. Or maybe there's a bug when the short time write volume > total capacity of the accelerated SSD, such as the storemi driver will treat the 256m cache on the HDD as written, so reboot or power off, the files placed in that area will be gone, the file system only remembered which path has a file with that name, but the actual capacity became 0.

After some attempts, this did not happen anymore. The version of storemi did not change during this period. The cache SSD changed from an Orthon m15 32G to an Orthon m15 64G.

Try 1: Installed storemi 2.0 correctly.(It means that after installation, it did not turn the driver of my 905p system disk controller into bottom. last time when it went wrong, I changed the driver of the system disk controller back manually like some people did.)

Attempt 2: Scheduled tasks for disk optimization were turned off.

attempt 3: ran powercfg -h off 1 time each before and after enabling acceleration.

Try 4: Changed amd's Chipset driver to the version provided by the motherboard vendor before installation.

--------------------------------------------------------

我将自己使用的一些问题,和可能的解决办法发在这里。

问题一、安装时65536报错

保证以下几项:

1.注册表里关于storemi的项、值删干净;

2.A卡注意,如果驱动中带有ryzenmastersdk,需要你去下载ryzenmaster,安装后点重置,重启,再卸载他;

3.把系统盘SSD接在cpu提供的pcie通道上(看看主板关于m.2的说明,切记这点,后边还有别的问题与这个相关。但是并不是所有的系统ssd插在由芯片组提供的pcie上都会报这个65536的错。我的ocz rd400会报,intel905p就不会报)

问题二、明明平台在支持列表里边,但提示你的平台不支持,无法安装。

1.使用“创建并格式化分区”,选中加速用SSD,删除卷。

2.设备管理器找到加速用SSD的控制器,确保是标准nvme控制器,如果不是,右键卸载设备并勾选删除驱动。

3.amd论坛看到的没法复现的例子,更换HDD的sata接口,到有切换开关的接口上,切换开关是指主板其它接口占用这个通道的sata。

问题三、关于丢失文件的例子

我的100%重现方法:解压1个超过SSD缓存容量的游戏包,到加速中的驱动器,打开游戏,能正常使用;重启或关机,再次打开游戏,各种报错或提示文件丢失;查看游戏文件夹下的文件,会发现大量大小为0的文件,使用命令行chkdsk /f,能扫出很多碎片。由于这个,去做了很多了解,现在的storemi并不是以文件为单位,两边各一份建立硬链接来加速,而我刚解压完游戏,只要不关机,打开游戏都是一切正常的,一旦重启或关机1次后,之前正常运行的游戏,也打不开了,下边的文件也不完整了。所以很怀疑是这东西他在关机、重启时本应该还有一些操作,但关机没等它。又或者是当短时间写入量>加速SSD总容量时有啥bug,比如storemi的驱动会把HDD上的256m缓存当作已写入,这样重启或断电,放在那个区域的文件就没了,文件系统只记下了哪个路径有个这个名字的文件,但实际容量变成0了.

我做了一些尝试后,这个情况没有发生了。期间storemi的版本没有变。缓存SSD从傲腾m15 32G变成了傲腾m15 64G。

尝试1:正确安装storemi2.0。(是指安装后,它并没有把我的905p系统盘控制器的驱动变成bottom。上次出问题时,我也和一些人一样,手动把系统盘控制器的驱动改回来的。)

尝试2:关闭了磁盘优化的计划任务;

尝试3:在启用加速前后,各运行了1次powercfg -h off;

尝试4:在安装前把amd的Chipset驱动换成了主板商提供的版本。

0 Likes