cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

aeton
Adept I

Star Wars Battlefront II says i should update my driver to 17.7.1, but its updated to 17.10

If I try to start SWBF2 it say. "Please updated your AMD Radeon driver. Detected AMD Radeon driver version 17.4.4. The required driver version is 17.7.1 (17.10.3211) or later. Please update your drivers at (link) before playing the game.

My AMD Radeon R7 250X says in the Radeon software, when I click on Updates: Currently installed: 17.10.1731-170 ...)

My game does not start just this message pops up.

18 Replies

the current driver is 20.5.1 which applies to GCN cards, but I cannot determine from any resource online what is stuffed into the card whether its terrascale or GCN

aeton
Adept I

So I just found out, its a Radeon R7 250X which I believe is GCN if that helps the case in any way.

0 Likes

aeton wrote:

So I just found out, its a Radeon R7 250X which I believe is GCN if that helps the case in any way.

That card is GCN ver 1

OK, how does that contribute to solving my problem? I really dont know much about the topic.

0 Likes

aeton wrote:

OK, how does that contribute to solving my problem? I really dont know much about the topic.

AMD changed the way they design video cards. NVIDIA does the same.

The R7 250X has 10 CU (compute units) giving it 640 shaders. There are 40 TMUs and 16 ROPs.

That places it close to the Vega 11 seen in the R5 2400G APU.

The Volcanic Islands Series includes the R7 200 cards.

0 Likes

Southern Islands I believe. 

pokester wrote:

Southern Islands I believe. 

Volcanic actually

0 Likes

Not according to Wikipedia, the following are all Southern Islands:

A GPU implementing Graphics Core Next 1 (Southern Islands) is found on R9 270, 270X, 280, 280X, R7 240, 250, 250X, 265, and R5 240 branded products.

Volcanic: 

A GPU implementing Graphics Core Next 3 (Volcanic Islands) is found on the R9 285 (Tonga Pro) branded products.

This article here shows them as being original GCN cards too:

https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/amd-radeon-r7-250x 

This article shows that it is a rebadge of HD 7770 which was GCN 1 too

Radeon R7 250X Review - Graphics Card - Tom's Hardware | Tom's Hardware 

0 Likes

pokester wrote:

Not according to Wikipedia, the following are all Southern Islands:

A GPU implementing Graphics Core Next 1 (Southern Islands) is found on R9 270, 270X, 280, 280X, R7 240, 250, 250X, 265, and R5 240 branded products.

Volcanic: 

A GPU implementing Graphics Core Next 3 (Volcanic Islands) is found on the R9 285 (Tonga Pro) branded products.

I can only go by what GPU-Z  shows

0 Likes
mutantxdvd
Adept III

Ignore the message and play the game. It says that for me playing Gear Tactics, or certain other games, your games will work perfectly fine, you don't have to update if you don't want too. I'm using 2019 enterprise 19.Q4.1 drivers on my RX 570 and it says that, again just ignore it. 

I would love to do that but my problem is, the game doesn't start the message just pops up and nothing happens.

Can you not update then to the latest 20.5.1 driver? If you don't want to go to the newest even a late 2019 driver?

No the game does not detect my drivers update even tho it says it in the AMD software.

0 Likes

Have you tried running DDU and then re-installing the driver? If not give that a go. 

I don't believe your R7-250X meets the requirement for Minimum GPU card for that game: AMD Radeon R7 250X Reportedly a HD 7770 Rebrand - Packs 640 Stream Processors, $99 Price 

Seems like the R7-250X is basically a rebrand of a HD7770 GPU card which doesn't meet the minimum requirement for GPU for your game: https://help.ea.com/fr-fr/help/star-wars/star-wars-battlefront/pc-system-requirements-star-wars-batt... 

Go to this website and see if your computer can run that specific game: Star Wars Battlefront 2015 system requirements | Can I Run Star Wars Battlefront 2015 

aeton
Adept I

Thank you, it finally worked. I reinstalled a new driver version (again) and now the game detects it. I tried playing and it runs with high fps on low graphic settings, im happy with that! Thanks to everyone who tried to help!

So glad you got it sorted!

Happy Gaming!