Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

BluLem7
Adept II

Star Citizen crashing with 22.6.1

As with post:

https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/elite-dangerous-crashing-with-22-6-1/m-p/536349#M15866...

Similar issue has been happening with Star Citizen with AMD GPU crashing to desktop.

No remedy still up until 22.8.2 (Present)

17 Replies
BluLem7
Adept II

Confirmed.  Rolled back and to a full clean install of 22.5.1 and no crashing issues.  Just performance isn't as good.

So for Star Citizen (and likely Elite Dangerous), anything past 22.5.1 will probably present crashing to desktop in these games.  

I'd like to go with 22.8.1, but not at the cost of crashing out of the game.

6900XT BTW...

That is why these drivers are in beta. 
They made significant changes in DirectX driver since 22.5.1 and hadn't yet caught all bugs caused by this
So you can try newer drivers, but don't expect that it will fix something, unless they actually make bugfixes in new version (they can add support for new games without bugfix). If there are bugfixes you can try to test new driver and revert back if issue still exists.

You can also try to get detailed report on point of issue, like logs, traces, related calls that cause crashes etc.  

0 Likes
Axton
Challenger

I wouldn't use Star Citizen as a reliable way to judge a driver. Dont get me wrong, AMD drivers are nothing like nvidia, and my own system is doing things it never did when I ran a Geforce gpu. But that "game" is so unoptimized you're lucky to get 60fps at the best of times no matter the gpu.

0 Likes

Gonna beg to differ here a bit.

1. Elite Dangerous (a game already released) has known issues with AMD drivers post 22.5.1

2. Star Citizen, while not completely polished, is playable in large extend and I'm able to pull over 100FPS with all settings maxed and not crash with 22.5.1

3. A similar issue was stated in the AMD drivers for last year, and seems maybe it's reared its head in some form or another post 22.5.1

I would really appreciate AMD looking in to this...

Dantichrist
Journeyman III

I just wanted to drop a note that I'm having the same issue with an RX 6800XT.

It's stable with 22.5.1 but the performance is a lot worse than the newer drivers. With all of the drivers >22.5.1 it will consistently will crash to desktop. I happened to find this thread searching for a remedy but I haven't found anything.

I was hoping that 22.9.1 would improve things but it's no better.

Thanks for sharing.  Did you do a complete wipe and removal of the AMD drivers using their TOOL and  reinstall the latest and still crashing?  Some people say to completely rip the drivers out with the AMD tool and install the last version and things will be ok.  But I haven't seen much confirmation that this works..

0 Likes

I used DDU V18.0.5.5. AMD's cleanup utility would do the same thing. AMD's utility may even be better because they would know what specific reg entries that need to be removed. Either way I'd do it in safe mode just to be sure.

Another thing that I did was made sure that it wouldn't connect to the internet so that windows wouldn't be able to undermine it by searching for drivers and installing them. I just disconnected from my network, and made sure that connect automatically wasn't checked.

0 Likes
kkampsdesk
Journeyman III

I've been having issues with my 6900xt as well, and I've tried everything from suspecting my AIO software crashing things to completely resetting my PC, I'm gonna try this tonight and hopefully I get a resolution to the issues I've been having, I love what I can get out of this card but performance with driver crashes every session at least have been a major buzz kill to the product so far, hope we get some fixes in The near future!!

0 Likes

Hey.  Thanks for contributing. Looking forward to seeing what you discover.

0 Likes
BluLem7
Adept II

22.10.3 does not make a difference for Star Citizen.  Still crashing....

0 Likes
BluLem7
Adept II

So far, Star Citizen 3.18 PTU build on AMD driver 22.11.2 I'm not getting the crashing anymore.

I suspect since crashing was happening on this driver (as confirmed also by others) for Star Citizen 3.17.x builds, that the game-maker themselves made some ninja silent change that fixed it in 3.18.

Given both the stellar communication by AMD and by Star Citizen's game maker CIG regarding this over SIX MONTH issue, we can clearly come to rely on them for future issues resolution in a timely manner.  /sarcasm

Will close or solve this post once 3.18 comes out of PTU into LIVE and retest shows no issue.

Ill have to retry this sometime this week because at the beginning of the PTU I couldn't walk past cubby blast without a display driver crash! I threw my 3080 back in to keep testing the PTU but maybe a change in the recent updates fingers crossed

0 Likes
stucutting
Adept I

I am still getting crashes in the 3.18 PTU and on Live with 22.11.2. It all runs really well until I go out onto a planet or moon with certain storm effects. New Babbage outside the commons garage entrance is an instant crash to desktop as soon as you step out of the ship. With 22.5.1 or the latest pro drivers, this doesn't happen at all. I am currently running my 6800 XT on the PRO drivers as it seems to run a bit better on them and is more compatible with some newer games than 22.5.1.

0 Likes
tawapah
Adept I

I can also confirm this using an RX 6600, and I have a dilemma.

As said above, Star Citizen still stutters and crashes (especially in the character creation screen) with any driver version above 22.5.1. I can also add to the list that I have noticed micro-stutter in Witcher 3 when using the newest driver 22.11.2 and that Witcher 3 also runs much better without any stutter in version 22.5.1.

The dilemma I'm having, is that I would prefer to use the driver version 22.5.1 that actually works, but recently Call of Duty: Warzone 2.0 has set a minimum requirement for the driver version 22.9.1, even though it runs fine with 22.5.1 (I have played more than 200 hours before this new requirement)

Update:

I found a temporary solution for having Warzone 2.0 work, while also keeping the driver at version 22.5.1. Run the Registry Editor (regedit) and open \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class. From there search after "RadeonSoftwareVersion" and change the value from 22.5.1 to 22.9.1. This way Warzone 2.0 now believes the correct driver is installed and can be run again.

0 Likes
tawapah
Adept I

I have tested the newest driver (version 23.4.3.). With this driver the character creation view now seems to be running fine. But in-game the GPU still often goes down to 0% usage, making the game and the whole computer micro stutter/freeze. So the best driver for optimal gameplay is still 22.5.1.

0 Likes
tawapah
Adept I

A SOLUTION (so far?)

I still need to test this a bit longer, but I think I found a solution to the issue. I can't believe I haven't tried this earlier.

While installing the newest driver (I'm now using 23.10.1), instead of choosing a "Full Install", I chose a "Minimal Install". Now it seems all games are running much better and I have so far no problems in Star Citizen. So apparently the issue is caused by some Adrenalin features.

Note: I did remove all AMD related data with DDU before trying the above, but I don't know if this is necessary.

I will update this comment if I notice any issues.

0 Likes

I have now tested Star Citizen for about 2 hours without having any issue with the newest driver (23.10.1) as a "Minimal Install". To be sure this wasn't just the new driver that was actually working I also tested the game with a "Full Install" of the driver setup, which again resulted in stuttering and lags. I didn't continue the final test for long, but it usually ends up with a crash after a little time.

So I can now confirm that the game is running good with the newest driver setup (properly any newer driver) - if using the "Minimal Install". So the issue must be due to some installed Adrenalin features.

0 Likes