cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

tanazzz
Adept III

Spider-Man Remastered cutscenes absolutely obliterate my gpu (?)

Running the Spider-Man ready 22.8.1 driver and I can't help but notice that every time there is a cut-scene in the game my 6950XT's temps skyrocket all the way to 110C junction and the Fans on the GPU go absolutely berzerk. I'm certain this is a bug because even if I pause the game during a cut scene and there are no frames being rendered the GPU remains this hot and the fans keep spinning at 100%. Pretty sure there's some sort of problem because even in the heaviest of fighting scenes my GPU never ramps up.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Actually explaining this is quite easy.
Even if you pause cutscene (and that works for 99.9% of games), render doesn't stop, and just begin to render same frame over and over again. Hence not dropping GPU util. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Matt_AMD
Community Manager

I'm currently playing Spiderman myself at 4K resolution using a 6950 XT, albeit it a Sapphire Toxic 6950 XT with an AIO cooling solution. Spider Man Remastered | 5800X3D + RX 6950 XT Toxic | 2160P Very High Settings + Ray Tracing - YouTub...

I too see slightly higher temperatures during cut scenes, however this is because these scenes are a bit more demanding on the graphics card and draw a bit more power. During actual gameplay (for example when swinging around the city via spiderwebs) the GPU utilisation can drop a little (along with GPU power) as the CPU works on rendering all the cars, NPCs and Ray Tracing effects.

In short, this is normal and expected and not a bug. What it might indicate is that perhaps your fan speed is a little conservative, you may want to try increasing it slightly if you are using an air cooled 6950 XT.

But the temps and GPU utilization remain at 100% even when the cut scene is paused? How would you explain that. And yeah I'm using an Air cooled one, the PowerColor Red Devil and the performance is not bad, even though I have the feeling that there's more to be squeezed out considering the power of the 6950xt especially without RT on.

0 Likes

Actually explaining this is quite easy.
Even if you pause cutscene (and that works for 99.9% of games), render doesn't stop, and just begin to render same frame over and over again. Hence not dropping GPU util. 

Oh wow didn't know that's how things work. That actually makes perfect sense. Thanks Matt, and thanks Dimka for the detailed answers.