cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

imwacco
Adept I

Southbridge drivers

...and northbridge for that matter. AKA chipset.

On a MSI A78M-E35 (MS-7721) motherboard, I have:

• Northbridge AMD K15 IMC rev. 00
  • Southbridge AMD A78 FCH rev. 2.6

So, the question becomes, where do I get drivers? If I open the Drivers&Support tab > Chipset > 7-Series... there's nothing that says "A78". If the A78 is part of a... ¿model, groupvolume, platform?... I've yet to find that info.

https://www.amd.com/en/products/chipsets-fm2plus 

1 Solution

Your Motherboard is considered to be "Legacy" or EOL (End of Line) which means there won't be anymore driver or Chipset updates unless MSI Support creates one for some reason or MSI decides to add support for another newer processor to the motherboard.  You can always see if you can update any drivers through Device Manager or Windows Update.

Most likely the MSI Chipset is the latest and last version for your motherboard.

If you have Windows 10 than the native Windows MS SATA CONTROLLER is the driver that should be installed. AMD doesn't make any more SATA CONTROLLER drivers since I believe 2015.  AMD uses Windows 10 native SATA driver instead.

The MS SATA CONTROLLER is updated with each new version of Windows 10 so disregard the Driver Date of 06/21/2006. The Driver version should be the same as your Windows version.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
imwacco
Adept I

Sorry, I forgot, Win10 if it matters. But Linux drivers would be helpful also (Don't forget BSD)

Seems like AMD doesn't support that old CHIPSET. Try downloading the CHIPSET directly from MSI Support for your motherboard from here: Support For A78M-E35 | Motherboard - The world leader in motherboard design | MSI USA 

imwacco
Adept I

elstaci

I have that one, but it's not been updated for 16 months. I was hoping for something newer.

Also, I don't know how this relates, but most of that driver are for the SATA controller?

Your Motherboard is considered to be "Legacy" or EOL (End of Line) which means there won't be anymore driver or Chipset updates unless MSI Support creates one for some reason or MSI decides to add support for another newer processor to the motherboard.  You can always see if you can update any drivers through Device Manager or Windows Update.

Most likely the MSI Chipset is the latest and last version for your motherboard.

If you have Windows 10 than the native Windows MS SATA CONTROLLER is the driver that should be installed. AMD doesn't make any more SATA CONTROLLER drivers since I believe 2015.  AMD uses Windows 10 native SATA driver instead.

The MS SATA CONTROLLER is updated with each new version of Windows 10 so disregard the Driver Date of 06/21/2006. The Driver version should be the same as your Windows version.

imwacco
Adept I

Thank you for replying.

Is there a different answer for anyone googling "Southbridge drivers" some time in the future? I had problems finding anything.. other than old posts with dead links.