cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

shine75
Newcomer

Some USB devices not working properly on a new W10 x64 machine

Can you help me with a problem that I have with some USB devices not working properly on a new built machine under Windows 10, but perfectly on the same machine using Linux, and on any other machine.
I hope you will be able to help me, being myself a power user, but here a little lost in the face of this problem.

Instead of re-writing the whole question and try&fail process, I already detailed it here : windows 10 - Some USB devices not working properly on a new W10 x64 machine - Super User in a question, with full informations.

Can you please help me to solve this ?

0 Likes
2 Replies

When you plug in the USB HDD, what is showing in Device Manager?

Under USB category like on my older Asus Motherboard which uses ASMedia USB drivers:

Also look at Windows Event Viewer to see if there are any errors related to USB or to your External HDD.

Also I noticed that under MSI Support for your motherboard, Under Windows 7 it shows AMD USB 3.1 drivers: Support For B450M MORTAR MAX | Motherboard - The world leader in motherboard design | MSI Global 

But I imagine since MSI didn't post any for Windows 10 USB 3.1 Drivers  for your motherboard, It must be using Windows 10 native drivers.

If everything else works in your USB ports except your External HDD, either it isn't 100% compatible with your motherboard or Windows 10 since, at least, your Toshiba HDD is considered to be Legacy by Toshiba Support.

Maybe you should open a MSI Support and Toshiba Support tickets to find out if they can explain your situation with your external HDDs.

0 Likes

> When you plug in the USB HDD, what is showing in Device Manager?

When it's not working, it is not displayed.

> Also look at Windows Event Viewer to see if there are any errors related to USB or to your External HDD.

The is a lot of things here, can you please point what I have to search for ?

> Also I noticed that under MSI Support for your motherboard, Under Windows 7 it shows AMD USB 3.1 drivers: Support For B450M MORTAR MAX | Motherboard - The world leader in motherboard design | MSI Global 

pastedImage_3.png

> But I imagine since MSI didn't post any for Windows 10 USB 3.1 Drivers  for your motherboard, It must be using Windows 10 native drivers.

Yes

> If everything else works in your USB ports except your External HDD, either it isn't 100% compatible with your motherboard or Windows 10 since, at least, your Toshiba HDD is considered to be Legacy by Toshiba Support.

I don't think it's a HDD problem because I also have the same problem with other external hard drives, and some USB flash drives of the same type (brand, capacity, model, all). Some work fine, other have the same problem. And the disk works on another Windows 10 machine.

I don't think this is a motherboard problem, because I have no problem at all if I test all of this with a Linux.

0 Likes