Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

chucktownrc51
Adept II

(*Solved*) Multiple Issues With 5700 XT, Please Help

Multiple problems with 5700XT.

Ok, I'm having several issues with this card and/or drivers.  First, and most important thing is the "Radeon wattman settings has been restored due to an unexpected system failure"  Which basically happens to me all the time from anything as simple as restarting the computer to opening the xbox app.  The card also goes to black screen when playing games or even looking in the Xbox app.  The card was also locked down to 27fps on Apex Legends before starting crazy screen flickering and crashing. Lastly, it seems that whenever HDR is turned on it just goes to black screen whenever putting anything on the screen that is even somewhat graphical. I have already done a fresh install of windows and all the drivers but still having issues. 

My system is a Gigabyte X570 Master, Ryzen 3700X, Reference 5700XT, 32gb of Ballistix Elite 3600mhz CL16 RAM, Gigabyte Gen 4 m.2 SSD, Aorus AD27QD Monitor. 

Someone please help before I lose my mind.

Thanks. 

Update, July 27th:  I did another fresh install of windows, uninstalled adrenaline in safe mode with DDU, again, reinstalled in airplane mode, removed MSI Afterburner, disabled enhanced sync, disabled Radeon overlay and put an aggressive fan curve on Wattman. The card is now very stable and burning through all games (Except GTAV for some reason, it won't even boot it, crashes on load).  I'm getting nice performance in everything else I've played so far (Forza H4, Warframe, Dead Rising 4, Prey, and Apex Legends).  I don't know if this will work for everyone else but try it. 

1 Solution
chucktownrc51
Adept II

Update, July 27th:  I did another fresh install of windows, uninstalled adrenaline in safe mode, again, reinstalled in airplane mode with DDU, removed MSI Afterburner, disabled enhanced sync, disabled Radeon overlay and put an aggressive fan curve on Wattman. The card is now very stable and burning through all games (Except GTAV for some reason, it won't even boot it, crashes on load).  I'm getting nice performance in everything else I've played so far (Forza H4, Warframe, Dead Rising 4, Prey, and Apex Legends).  I don't know if this will work for everyone else but try it.

View solution in original post

61 Replies

I agree but I don't think it's any mystery why the guys with the most money have the best Windows support. 

0 Likes

Hi,

I am tired of reporting this issue to AMD. 
I am tired of having to constantly run DDU just to install AMD Drivers or run an incremental update. 
I am tired of having to physically disconnect the internet cable. 

I put in lots of effort to report what was happening, produced screenshots and videos, and faced lots of hassle on this forum for doing it as well. Now everyone seems to accept that yes, it is a problem.
Nothing has been done to fix it. 

It definitely is a problem, and it is causing unstable behaviour.
It should be a simple thing to fix in AMD Installer, just check the Device Manager to see if there is anything other than Microsoft Basic Display Adapter. If not, remove the driver from the AMD GPU.   
You would think that something like this would be on a high priority list to fix as soon as possible. 

Who gives a damn about AMD Link or "Anti-Lag" or Radeon Image Sharpening, or  RX5700XT if you spend more time debugging/addressing driver issues and crashes than using your GPU. 
AMD Driver problems have pretty much made me move to Nvidia now.  

Thanks.  

I hear you man. I was at the end of my rope before I finally got it to work. 

I hear you colesdav, I know that some here take these statements as being negative, but in fact there isn't likely anyone who would love to sing the praises of AMD if they could. You have done more to test, verify and thoroughly explain things since I have been here. I always appreciate your efforts and the real tested information you come up with. I don't know how you have time and money to do all you do, but it is a tremendous service you provide. That is even more why I feel so let down by the company that doesn't seem to do even as much research in their own products as you do.

I would love to be able to go back to blindly buying the next new thing from AMD but they keep unfortunately proving why that can't be a reality for anyone that doesn't have money to burn. It's such a shame too as I really am rooting for them.

I think the thing that kills me is that even when people get to the point the get a card running, it still isn't working as it should. Features don't work, the cards don't run at defaults properly etc. etc.  It is amazing to me how much many are willing to give up and call it working when in really it still doesn't work as it should.

You are certainly correct in the reporting to AMD. I feel bad as it is one of the most common things I tell people to do then they do it and most the time they say they never get a response. That has been my experience too, but I do keep send in the issue reports as I need to.

There definitely is something very different about the way that AMD does the installs and why nVidia and, well, any other drivers I install frequently in my profession and that is  a lot don't have this issue of corruption.

I do know for instance that some network and sound drivers adopting the new universal driver platform had the initial growing pains about the same time the AMD issues started with 1803, but all of those work just fine now and have for about a year.

I have said for a long time that nobody needs new fluff features before the basics works as they should. I think they are way too worried about claiming new features instead of stability. Heck Nvidia has had the same looking interface for over 20 years and I could care less, at least it works.

I would love to be able to say that the RX Vega 64 Liquid I bought in November 2018 is great. 

I tried to purchase a Radeon VII on launch day (Feb 7 2019). That card is now EOL.    

I have followed RX5700/XT launch closely because I was hoping to purchase one. 

There are a large number of people on this forum who could probably work together to test AMD drivers features and stability and suggest fixes and improvements so AMD GPUs are more competitive versus Nvidia GPUs. There should be a way to do this w/o having to sign an NDA.

I think feedback is ignored. Report Issues form should open a case - like Nvidia Support do - so issues can be tracked and not go down a black hole. 

The online Vote for Features form needs to add simple description/spec for what is suggested. 

Adrenalin 2019 GUI looks great and it has some nice features.
Radeon Chill is an example where a few changes to UI, and a few additional settings would actually make it a great feature to use.   

Contrast Aware/Adaptive Sharpening at 2K and upscaling to 4K is a great idea from AMD. 

I just spent a week testing it out using ReShade and producing videos so people on this forum and elsewhere could try it out on their existing Nvidia or AMD GPU's. There are some advantages of being able to run Radeon Image Sharpening directly on your GPU. Since it can be run in ReShade I am hoping it will make it's way to all other AMD GCN GPUs soon.  

I just want to see things fixed so I have a realistic choice when selecting new GPUs. 
Dealing with AMD Driver install issues and crashes was/is simply costing me too much wasted time on Linux and Windows 10. 
So for me, new AMD GPU's are not an option now.   

0 Likes

I find it amazing that they pretty much leave "SUPPORT" up to the community. Then it is a small part of that community that really continually have good input. It isn't more that a couple handfuls of people here that you see assisting AMD's customers with issues that should not exist to begin with and that AMD doesn't really offer any help for.

I have thought many times in the past couple years that you would thinks it would be easy for AMD to recognize those top contributors and at least bring them into that beta testing fold and offer them test cards in exchange for all the free support that is given by those community members. It certainly is a not a symbiotic relationship by any means. I unfortunately don't have any experience with AMD cards beyond the RX 580 and really cant much help with suggestions on settings beyond basic things that affect all cards anymore. I too don't see myself buying a new card either. It is almost the caveat of being here in these forums and seeing all the issues, it doesn't make you want to buy a new card. I check the Nvidia forums once maybe every week are two. Those forums are just dead by comparison to these, you can go back a week later and maybe a few posts have been added since the last time you were there. Most issues people have there are not product issues more knowledge issues. However when those real issues come up there are real support people who get involved. I asked a question early on in that forum after getting my GTX 1060 6gb I honestly just didn't know how to use a feature, and got a reply from support then had an email from them and they had assigned me a support ticket number and assisted further. They even replied back a couple weeks later to make sure things were working okay. To me that is good support.  I think that AMD relies very heavily on this support community and completely take those involved for granted. Some of the people here like you and kingfish who so greatly helped me when I first came here are just tremendous assets to AMD. I just think it's funny how they will send lots of cards to these review sites who do a one time review, but don't take care of the people in the trenches helping their customer actually be able to use their cards that do not work out of the box at default settings. 

im 100% with you AMD is really bad when it comes to support, this drivers are just bad and everytime you join the forums you just get the same question over and over ''If you are experiencing a problem with the latest AMD Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition driver release and you can consistently reproduce the issue, please complete this bug reporting form.''

IM sick and tired of this bs i bought the Rx 5700xt and im just getting freezes and blackscreen all the time im returning this card next week and im going back to Nvidia i really wanted to give AMD a chance..i'm really disappointed.

Sorry to hear you are returning the GPU.
Can I ask which specific model of RX5700XT you have please?
Thanks.

0 Likes

i have the Red Devil edition 

Thanks.
Surprising as the PowerColor Red Devil 5700XT is supposed to be one of the best models available according to reviewers and it did looks like your problems with the GPU were mostly solved about 5 months ago in this thread. 
I was interested in the Red Dragon 5700XT but prices are still too high in my opinion and I wait for the Drivers and BIOS to be stable before next build needing GPUs.

0 Likes

colesdav wrote:

Thanks.
Surprising as the PowerColor Red Devil 5700XT is supposed to be one of the best models available according to reviewers and it did looks like your problems with the GPU were mostly solved about 5 months ago in this thread. 
I was interested in the Red Dragon 5700XT but prices are still too high in my opinion and I wait for the Drivers and BIOS to be stable before next build needing GPUs.

PowerColor Red Devil is well liked for its excellent cooling fan etc

0 Likes

it is a very cool card , it doesn't get hotter then 65 degrees while playing games full load its a beast but the drivers are just messed up

0 Likes

drproud wrote:

it is a very cool card , it doesn't get hotter then 65 degrees while playing games full load its a beast but the drivers are just messed up

I get the same with my Sapphire RX 480 8GB OC

drivers are installable only via INF as the main installer freezes my rig

it is a beast of a card im very happy with the performance but the drivers are just bad right now and AMD takes to long to fix their drivers its just sad 

jaimexo
Journeyman III

Hello, I have rx 5700 xt gigabyte

I still having issues with black screens, sometimes when I play or use things like discord screen sharing. (19.12.3 AMD Radeon)

I am really wondering on change the GPU in Amazon for another, I was NVidia user and I never had issues like that.

0 Likes
indydragon
Adept I

I had the POWERCOLOR RED DEVIL RX 5700 XT I have sent the second one back now. I did as everyone said I upgraded all my drivers, Video, Motherboard, Intel everything. I will admit I refuse to completely reinstall windows if the card refuses to run then it's the card. I have a SAPPHIRE R9 FURY that works perfectly on my setup. I have a Gigabyte Z390 AORUS ELITE motherboard, an I7-8700K processor, OPTIX MAG24C Monitor, 32 GIG of G.Skill ram and the processor is water cooled.

The first card ran good at first for about a week then I started running 'Generation Zero' and 'Metro Exodus' and the problems started. My monitor would go completely blank But I could still hear gunfire through the Headphones. Nothing I did got the video back except a hard reboot. Finally since it was still under warranty I sent it back the company verified the errors and sent me a new one. Well it worked perfectly as long as I wasn't running a graphic intensive game then everything would freeze up after around 5 minutes of game time. I reinstalled all the drivers again and nothing worked I even put a second monitor on the card just in case and nothing changed. I put my R9 FURY back in and everything worked perfectly but when I reinstalled the 5700 XT the system froze up. Now I have always had AMD Video cards I have always loved them before the fury it was a R9 280X. But I can't deal with this, the last recommendation was to delete windows and start with a fresh install and that is just BULL no card is worth doing that. 

So I'm asking what have others done If I have to I will buy a RTX 2080 Super as quality not price is what is important to me but I will sure miss AMD...

0 Likes

These commands should tell you if there is anything wrong with your Windows 10 install.

chkdsk /scan

sfc /scannow

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth.

However there might be something they miss.

Why don't you do an in place install of Windows 10?
You should be able to do it w/o  loosing any of your files or folders.
I would run a Windows 7 style system backup to an external USB drive first though.

You just need a USB2.0 drive with enough capacity.
Go to Windows 10 website.

Download the media creation tool.

Create a bootable USB2.0 install drive with a fresh installation of Windows 10. 
Then all you do is boot into your exisiting Windows 10 installation.
Then you run setup.exe.and select keep files and apps.
It might be worth a try before you send the PowerColor Red Devil RX5700XT back. 

0 Likes

I have a Windows USB install drive and I did a repair but it didn't find anything. What they wanted me to do was uninstall windows and do a new install. I refused to do that saying that if the SAPPHIRE R9 FURY was working on the present install it wasn't my computer. They finally agreed and tech support gave me to ordering and at that point they took the card back.    Right now my system is up and running with the FURY and I've had no problems. I just finished playing the new DLC for Metro Exodus so I think it was the card again. When this started I even went to FRY's and broke down and bought a 1000 watt power supply. So no power supply problems that I can see.

On Tuesday, February 18, 2020, 01:40:36 AM EST, colesdav <amd-external@jiveon.com> wrote:

#yiv1138170203 * #yiv1138170203 a #yiv1138170203 body {font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;}#yiv1138170203 #yiv1138170203 h1, #yiv1138170203 h2, #yiv1138170203 h3, #yiv1138170203 h4, #yiv1138170203 h5, #yiv1138170203 h6, #yiv1138170203 p, #yiv1138170203 hr {}#yiv1138170203 .yiv1138170203button td {}#yiv1138170203 .yiv1138170203jive-rendered-content table {border-collapse:collapse;margin:0 0 2px;}#yiv1138170203 .yiv1138170203j-rte-table table .filtered99999 , #yiv1138170203 .yiv1138170203j-rte-table .yiv1138170203jiveBorder {border-color:inherit;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;}#yiv1138170203 .yiv1138170203j-rte-table tbody, #yiv1138170203 .yiv1138170203j-rte-table tfoot, #yiv1138170203 .yiv1138170203j-rte-table thead, #yiv1138170203 .yiv1138170203j-rte-table tr, #yiv1138170203 .yiv1138170203j-rte-table th, #yiv1138170203 .yiv1138170203j-rte-table td {border-color:inherit;border-style:solid;border-width:inherit;text-align:left;vertical-align:baseline;}

|

Community

Re: (Solved) Multiple Issues With 5700 XT, Please Help

in Drivers & Software

These commands should tell you if there is anything wrong with your Windows 10 install.

chkdsk /scan

sfc /scannow

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth.

However there might be something they miss.

Why don't you do an in place install of Windows 10?

You should be able to do it w/o  loosing any of your files or folders.

I would run a Windows 7 style system backup to an external USB drive first though.

You just need a USB2.0 drive with enough capacity.

Go to Windows 10 website.

Download the media creation tool.

Create a bootable USB2.0 install drive with a fresh installation of Windows 10. 

Then all you do is boot into your exisiting Windows 10 installation.

Then you run setup.exe.and select keep files and apps.

It might be worth a try before you send the PowerColor Red Devil RX5700XT back. 

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on Community

SHARE THE LOVE! Help other developers by marking replies to your questions as Helpful or Correct. If you are the original question asker, you can mark replies as Helpful or Correct by:

- Go to the message on Community (you’ll need to log in).

- Click on either the Helpful Answer button or the Correct Answer button.

- Pat yourself on the back! You’ve helped others who have the same question as you by telling them which replies are helpful and correct.

This email was sent by Community because you are a registered user.

You may unsubscribe instantly from Community, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

|

I would like to point out that scandisk, sfc and even DISM are far from ideal for noticing bad drivers, BIOS firmware and so on.

Many drivers this year from AMD have BSODed my box to the point where I resorted to wiping my SSD and starting over

Yes maybe so but everything other than the 5700 XT card work perfectly. Even the R9 FURY card has no problems with the new software.

On Tuesday, February 18, 2020, 05:11:44 PM EST, hardcoregames™ <amd-external@jiveon.com> wrote:

#yiv3053323072 * #yiv3053323072 a #yiv3053323072 body {font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;}#yiv3053323072 #yiv3053323072 h1, #yiv3053323072 h2, #yiv3053323072 h3, #yiv3053323072 h4, #yiv3053323072 h5, #yiv3053323072 h6, #yiv3053323072 p, #yiv3053323072 hr {}#yiv3053323072 .yiv3053323072button td {}#yiv3053323072 .yiv3053323072jive-rendered-content table {border-collapse:collapse;margin:0 0 2px;}#yiv3053323072 #yiv3053323072 #yiv3053323072 , #yiv3053323072 .yiv3053323072j-rte-table .yiv3053323072jiveBorder {border-color:inherit;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;}#yiv3053323072 .yiv3053323072j-rte-table tbody, #yiv3053323072 .yiv3053323072j-rte-table tfoot, #yiv3053323072 .yiv3053323072j-rte-table thead, #yiv3053323072 .yiv3053323072j-rte-table tr, #yiv3053323072 .yiv3053323072j-rte-table th, #yiv3053323072 .yiv3053323072j-rte-table td {border-color:inherit;border-style:solid;border-width:inherit;text-align:left;vertical-align:baseline;}

|

Community

in Drivers & Software

I would like to point out that scandisk, sfc and even DISM are far from ideal for noticing bad drivers, BIOS firmware and so on.

Many drivers this year from AMD have BSODed my box to the point where I resorted to wiping my SSD and starting over

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on Community

SHARE THE LOVE! Help other developers by marking replies to your questions as Helpful or Correct. If you are the original question asker, you can mark replies as Helpful or Correct by:

- Pat yourself on the back! You’ve helped others who have the same question as you by telling them which replies are helpful and correct.

You may unsubscribe instantly from Community, or adjust email frequency in your email preferences

|

0 Likes

I still think drivers and flakey BIOS problems are the main reason for woes

those modern panels with refresh rates all over the dial are not what developers use so do not expect all games to work right

I am using an RX 480 and it has its own class of woes to boot

0 Likes

Maybe but I upgraded my bios to the latest Revision and I run my resolution at 1980 X 1080. I was hoping with the new card to go to 2580 X 1440 not a really big change. But with all the problems I was having I never left the 1980 X 1080. Yes it could be the drivers for the new card and it does seem that that may be the case. But it seems that AMD rushed putting the card out on the market. It doesn't seem to matter at this point the card won't let me run games. I'm retired and after 40 years all I want to do is play my games both single player and online multiplayer. The 5700 XT won't let me do that and from what I have now seen there seems to be hundreds of others like me. You know if you see hundreds complaining then there are two to three times that who won't complain. Yes I own a high REZ monitor with a 1 ms refresh rate but it works fine with my other card so I still believe it's AMD's fault at this point.

On Tuesday, February 18, 2020, 07:08:54 PM EST, hardcoregames™ <amd-external@jiveon.com> wrote:

#yiv8633207864 * #yiv8633207864 a #yiv8633207864 body {font-family:Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif;}#yiv8633207864 #yiv8633207864 h1, #yiv8633207864 h2, #yiv8633207864 h3, #yiv8633207864 h4, #yiv8633207864 h5, #yiv8633207864 h6, #yiv8633207864 p, #yiv8633207864 hr {}#yiv8633207864 .yiv8633207864button td {}#yiv8633207864 .yiv8633207864jive-rendered-content table {border-collapse:collapse;margin:0 0 2px;}#yiv8633207864 #yiv8633207864 #yiv8633207864 , #yiv8633207864 .yiv8633207864j-rte-table .yiv8633207864jiveBorder {border-color:inherit;border-style:solid;border-width:1px;}#yiv8633207864 .yiv8633207864j-rte-table tbody, #yiv8633207864 .yiv8633207864j-rte-table tfoot, #yiv8633207864 .yiv8633207864j-rte-table thead, #yiv8633207864 .yiv8633207864j-rte-table tr, #yiv8633207864 .yiv8633207864j-rte-table th, #yiv8633207864 .yiv8633207864j-rte-table td {border-color:inherit;border-style:solid;border-width:inherit;text-align:left;vertical-align:baseline;}

|

Community

in Drivers & Software

I still think drivers and flakey BIOS problems are the main reason for woes

those modern panels with refresh rates all over the dial are not what developers use so do not expect all games to work right

I am using an RX 480 and it has its own class of woes to boot

|