cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

ardankyaosen
Miniboss

Shouldn't We Have Gotten Another Graphics Driver by Now?

It's coming up on mid-January 2023 and the last graphics driver for my 6800XT was Adrenalin 22.11.2 (12/08/2022).  I know Christmas was in there, so I really didn't expect a late December update.  But, shouldn't we have gotten on by now?  Has anyone heard anything about what's going on?

26 Replies
campcreekdude
Adept III

They gotta make the witcher 3 stop crashing. Would be nice. 

0 Likes

not sure it's only related to amd for what i know

0 Likes

Would you rather have quantity versus quality driver updates?

I would rather wait a bit longer and have a quality driver update with less bugs, preferably WHQL rated, then have a Optional driver come out with lots of bugs every one or two weeks.

The exception would be a Hot Fix type driver update to fix a specific serious flaw in either GPU hardware or AMD driver.

0 Likes

I'd rather have a product that wasn't rushed out before drivers and hardware were ready in the first place. Failing that response from support that doesn't waste time might be nice as well.

ardankyaosen
Miniboss

I'd rather have a published driver cadence that AMD could meet with quality drivers. If there's an interruption in that cadence, I'd like to know about it and get an expectation of when it will resume.  I'd rather NOT be left hanging around wondering what's going on and having to ask around on a forum to see if anyone's heard anything.

campcreekdude
Adept III

I dont have much faith in WHQL since the first set of drivers for the 7900 series had power issues.

The second set of drivers crashes to desktop with witcher 3. WHQL is meaningless. 

0 Likes

There is a huge difference between WHQL drivers and Optional drivers.

WHQL means Microsoft has tested and approved the driver to be fully compatible with Windows and Hardware while "Optional" is similar to BETA that hasn't yet been approved to be fully compatible with Windows and hardware.

The Windows Hardware Certification program (formerly Windows Hardware Quality Labs Testing, WHQL Testing, or Windows Logo Testing) is Microsoft's testing process which involves running a series of tests on third-party device drivers, and then submitting the log files from these tests to Microsoft for review. The procedure may also include Microsoft running their own tests on a wide range of equipment, such as different hardware and different Microsoft Windows editions.

Device drivers that have passed the WHQL tests are also made available for download using Windows Update or the Microsoft Update Catalog.

WHQL signed drivers can be included in Windows Updates or Catalog while Optional or BETA can't.

So WHQL drivers aren't "meaningless".

campcreekdude
Adept III

A new driver was just released

0 Likes
ardankyaosen
Miniboss

What video card do you have? Neither the web page nor Adrenalin is showing a January 2023 version for my 6800 XT.

0 Likes
xlox
Forerunner

maybe you should explain your problem because it's very difficult to understand you

don't take it too seriously but for me you sound like ,:

- i want my car to be repainted ,

- but it's as new!

- but i want my car to be repainted , i would be reassured

0 Likes

Well While Drivers for the 7000 series GPU are getting released it seems like the rest of us with earlier versions like 6000 series are forgotten about

People are starting to think AMD is just not bothered as it is not a 7000 series like they have not released a Bios Update for 500 series Motherboards and AGESA 1.2.0.7 is not a good bio and no way should it be the last we get it is to Buggy for Overclocking or is there another reason we not getting updates AMD have yet to mention besides the apparent Broken 6000 series CPU way too many people having trouble with DDR5 for it to not to be a Hardware problem  

alanjt_0-1673536304652.png

Ryzen 5 7600X - MSI MPG X670E CARBON WIFI - BIOS AGESA 1.0.0.7a - Corsair Vengeance 16GBx4 : CMH32GX5M2B6000Z30 - ASUSTeK AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT - PSU MSI MPG A1000G - Storage - MSI SPATIUM M480 1TB x4
0 Likes

"people are starting to think" ...nope you maybe , but maybe you read to much trolls that are saying a lot of bs , like the last bs about driver that is total lie ... the gpu's are physically damaged , no driver can do that until other part not depending from it are tweaked and should not have been...

ardankyaosen
Miniboss

That's worrisome.  I went through the graphics drivers and only the 7000 series have gotten an update (23.1.1 dated 01/11/2023 -- they have their own Adrenalin series):

https://drivers.amd.com/drivers/amd-software-adrenalin-edition-23.1.1-for-radeon-rx7900-series.exe 

As best I can tell, unless a card has been moved into "Legacy" status, all the rest share the same Adrenalin package and are still on 22.11.2, dated 12/08/2022:

https://drivers.amd.com/drivers/whql-amd-software-adrenalin-edition-22.11.2-win10-win11-dec8.exe 

I guess AMDs 7000 series must have had enough issues that they're focusing all attention on them.  Hopefully, all the rest of us will get an update soon.  I just wish they'd announce something instead of practicing Mushroom Management.

stop worrying and start a game

campcreekdude
Adept III

When I saw the update for the Radeon 7900 series I assumed all of them got an update too.  The only thing they really fixed was the witcher 3. Now cdpr has to fix the game on their end.  

There still is a huge issue with power consumption on high refresh rate monitors for 7900 series. Those types of issues are make or break when people want to buy a product. 

papawshane
Adept II

I came here just now seeking the same sort of answer. Since the 22.11.2, it's like everything just went quiet. I do however feel a bit better knowing this isn't just a me issue. So now I can relax a little knowing something isn't screwed up on my pc haha.

0 Likes
ardankyaosen
Miniboss

I can't believe AMD hasn't at least written a blog post somewhere announcing what there plans are.  Again, it's really worrisome sitting here in the dark.

you seem to be a very worried person yeah lol

0 Likes
ardankyaosen
Miniboss

Another month gone, no new drivers for my 6800 XT and still no official word from AMD explaining what's happening.  What's really odd is that I don't even see some kind of fast cadence with drivers for the 7900 series.  According to:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/graphics/amd-radeon-rx-7000-series/amd-radeon-rx-7900-series/amd-rade... 

The last version posted was:

Revision Number
Adrenalin 23.1.1 for Radeon RX 7900 Series (WHQL)
File Size
590 MB
Release Date
1/11/2023

frankazor.png

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..

So new drivers early next week then ?

0 Likes

Given their quality track record on new drivers I wouldn't hold my breath on this one.  The real question will be what did they break with it.

ardankyaosen
Miniboss

Downloaded and installed the new driver (version 23.2.1) last night and installed it (w/ the Factory Reset option).  It appears to have fixed (what I believe to have been) my OpenGL problem that was causing issues with Calibre ebook manager.  Not only that, I was able to finally re-enable hardware acceleration in all my browsers and not have stutters in videos.  Yay!

Ya have done the same but now my Idle power draw has gone from less than 10 watts to over 25 watts

So not sure what has happened,

Ryzen 5 7600X - MSI MPG X670E CARBON WIFI - BIOS AGESA 1.0.0.7a - Corsair Vengeance 16GBx4 : CMH32GX5M2B6000Z30 - ASUSTeK AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT - PSU MSI MPG A1000G - Storage - MSI SPATIUM M480 1TB x4
0 Likes
papawshane
Adept II

I hope this long wait between drivers isn't something that will occur more often. I know the 7000 series are out, they are pushing them hard, but the 5 and 6000 series are far from dead. Only last year was I able to buy the RX6700XT 12gb card, I hope they still put some time in for the rest of us.

0 Likes
alanjt
Adept II

Seems to be all sorted out now last couple of updates for GPU were good

0 Likes