cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

xwayland
Adept I

Should I install the AMDGPU-PRO driver for Ubuntu 16.04.2 on an Ubuntu 14.04.4 system?

Should I install the AMDGPU-PRO driver for Ubuntu 16.04.2 on an Ubuntu 14.04.4 system?

Going to the linux download center, the driver link for Ubuntu 14.04.4 directs to the AMDGPU-PRO page (where only a 16.04.4 driver is listed).

Crimson 15.12 is the newest driver for the R7 260 cards we have in deployed machines, and as you may know, that driver breaks compatibility with any currently supported Kernel after 3.9.x (if not 3.9, it certainly breaks on 4.2 to 4.11 newest). We don't have the option to upgrade to Ubuntu 16.04.x right now, otherwise I wouldn't be asking for clarification from anyone who does know 100% for sure (these are production machines, hence the LTS distros).  Anyways, 14.4 is merely mid-life and has two more years of official upstream support, so it's still a ways from any abandonment.

Thank you in advance!

0 Likes
3 Replies
ray_m
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Should I install the AMDGPU-PRO driver for Ubuntu 16.04.2 on an Ubuntu 14.04.4 system?

The drivers have only been certified for the specific OS version mentioned on the Release Notes.

0 Likes
xwayland
Adept I

Re: Should I install the AMDGPU-PRO driver for Ubuntu 16.04.2 on an Ubuntu 14.04.4 system?

Right, but as I said, the problem is if you go to the Linux Download Center for GCN 1/2+ cards . Click on Ubuntu 14.04.4 64bit (only option for 14.04.4), it takes you to a page with a link for Ubuntu 16.04.2 based systems. As it's the basic release notes. Therefore it is a specific version with conflicting information.

Linux land works differently than Windows land, so this could mean more than just specific OS, as more OS's function under the bare rubric of each distro release. 14.04.4 shipping or fully supporting a Kernel 4.4+ LTS IIRC, just like 16.04 did, meaning it's possible they see each other the same way, thus why the 14.04.4 driver points to the 16.04.2 driver, just without specification. The problem is the page itself needs that specification, or the link needs to be corrected on the download page. I appreciate the quick reply, but this needs to be addressed on the site itself even if the correct(from a function standpoint, not liability, and I do appreciate it) answer is not available here.

Thank you

PS, I also submitted for a clarification on the page itself (where it says "Problem Solved?" + submit/survey at the bottom)a few times in the last few months. I'm posting here to also raise awareness, because I know this is a frequent question among Ubuntu GCN users who are simply stuck.

0 Likes
ray_m
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for that feedback, I've escalated it to the right people.

0 Likes