Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

zargan
Adept II

Short black screens again - RX 5700 XT

Hey all together,

its not long ago that I already did a thread cause I got black screens while playing Red Dead Redemption 2.

The issue there was "Radeon Chill". I deactivated it and was able to finish the game without any new black screen.

Now...

I started playing Division 2 again.

1. It is a known issue that DX12 in this game is very unstable what is very sad because with DX12 I can play the game very smoothly on ultra settings without stuttering. But after some minutes the game just freeze. So I have to use DX11 which performance for me is very shitty compared to DX12 but the game dont freeze. (Had a Geforce before btw and there I never had issues like that)

2. Now the game have random black screens for 2-3 seconds, game dont crash. This is the same bevahiour than I had before with Radeon Chill.

So... wth is going on with the drivers?

Are they really that damn bad and I need to think about going back to the green team where I dont have any black screens or DX12 crashes on any games I played? I hate to say things like this but I start to understand all people saying this.

The RX 5700 XT is a very expensive card. Its not acceptable for me that its so unstable. It would be "ok" for me if there were an official statement about an allover problem which will be fixed while settings the drivers to something special or so. But there is absolutly no real solution between all that complaining people in the internet. End they are really many.

Driver settings only have Sharpening and Anti Lag active. Can one of this features cause troubles like Radeon Chill, too? Should I just dont use any AMD features to get a stable card? Or maybe a preset which looks like very stable?

I really dont know what I should do now.

Any ideas?

Setup:

(Updates, Drivers, Bios, Firmware is on latest version. Also did a driver reinstall while using DDU and tried all bios modes of that GPU)

Sapphire RX 5700 XT Nitro+

Windows 10 Home (64x)

AMD Ryzen 5 3600X

MSI X470 Gaming Plus

16GB RAM

2 Monitors:

Both Iiyama G-Master PL2730H

75Hz

Freesync enabled on both

Connected via DP

Changes cables, no difference.

Thanks!

51 Replies

I saved the above post to prevent losing it and now cannot edit the Typos. Will fix later.

I forgot to add.
Adrenalin 2020 20.7.2 no longer loads any of my previously saved User Overclocking Profiles.
I had to set them all up again manually.
The GPU Frequency slider resolution is set to 1% instead of 0.5% which is a pain.
On setting, the GPU Bars look correct but the frequency numbers are all at the minimum lowest state value so that involves going in and out of the Tuning Menu and reopening tabs again as they often close at random.

W.R.T. Gears 5 perfromance.
I ran the Gears 5 Benchmark at 4K Ultra witn Normal set for Min FPS - so no Dynamic Resolution trickery is in place.
I have performance numbers for:

Hybrid Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1. GUI/UI  + 20.7.2 drivers installed using Windows Device Manager.
versus
Plasin Vanilla Adrenalin 2020 20.7.2.

Gues which version wins the benchmark by a significant % and also runs the game much more smoothly with higher FPS?

0 Likes

If you didn't turn Async off, then it's definitely not 20.7.2. There's a known bug with 20.7.2 and Gears 5's Async.

0 Likes

I compared the effect of  different GUI/UI Adrenalin 2020 20.7.2 and 19.12.1.

The Drivers were both 20.7.2. So I should be comparing the differences in performance due to running the different GUI/UI assuming the settings I applied are identical. I tried my very best to ensure that is the case. .

RE: If you didn't turn Async off, then it's definitely not 20.7.2. There's a known bug with 20.7.2 and Gears 5's Async.

Thank you for the information, could you please point me to more deteaild - does the bug affect RX5700XT and not RX Vega 64 Liquid?

I will try to investigate further, and I will file AMD Reporting for on this. 

I am not part of AMD Software Quality Assurance Team, if they even have one.
I am not paid to be on here, and I would prefer to be able to just report positive things such as how good the Ryzen 3000 processors I run are.
I am really tired of poor Quality Drivers and Software from AMD on the AMD GPUs I run.

I have my own work to do, so best thing for me is to Uninstall Adrenalin 2020 20.7.2 and reinstall the Hybrid Adrenalin 2019 19.12.1 GUI/UI and 20.7.2 Driver for now. 

Thanks.

0 Likes

I don't know which GPUs are impacted and I don't personally play Gears5. I've seen many people complain about it. So I'm sure AMD is aware of it by now.

colesdav wrote:

I am not part of AMD Software Quality Assurance Team, if they even have one.
I am not paid to be on here, and I would prefer to be able to just report positive things such as how good the Ryzen 3000 processors I run are.
I am really tired of poor Quality Drivers and Software from AMD on the AMD GPUs I run.

I'm in the same boat. I really hope they squash these bugs soon. I'd like to go back to not knowing this support forum existed.

Thanks - I will search to try to find out more about the Async Issue on Gears 5.

0 Likes

@fyrel and I use Windows 10 v2004 and Zen2 Ryzen and neither of us have very much CPU%. All of us likely get the GPU% though.

Which suggests for high CPU% either:
1. Adrenalin 2020 20.7.2 does not play nice with Windows 10 v1909
2. Your Adrenalin 2020 20.7.2 settings cause high CPU usage

3. Your 2700X is heavily downclocked to the point CPU% is visible.
4. There's something else wrong with Zen+ Ryzen and Adrenalin 2020 20.7.2.

0 Likes

RE: 1. Adrenalin 2020 20.7.2 does not play nice with Windows 10 v1909.
The Windows installation is clean.

The Release Notes do not state that the Adrenalin 2020 20.7.2 driver needs Windows 10 Pro 2004.
My Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build is up to date with latest patches.
Microsoft Windows tells me my machine is not yet ready to upgrade to 2004.
Driver install was done with DDU default "Advanced Option" options in save mode, disconnected from internet during entire removal and install process.
I tried Factory Reset install and normal - it makes no difference.

So it should "play nice".

RE: 2. Your Adrenalin 2020 20.7.2 settings cause high CPU usage
I have everything turned off as much as possibe so all of the aniumations, overlays etc are off. I am not logging anything. I even set the Performance Monitor polling rate as low as possible.

RE:  3. Your 2700X is heavily downclocked to the point CPU% is visible.
No that is not the case. 3.7 GHZ or 4.3 GHz base clock  and the windows performance setting is at high performance. The CPU is not downclocking below those frequencies at all. The CPU is AIO watercooled.

0 Likes

I'm running windows 10 v2004 currently.

Unfortunately I never checked how much CPU the Adrenalin software was using when I was using the previous version.

My CPU score in 3dMark did increase by 15% since the windows upgrade so possibly the adrenalin software was using more resources before.

I just checked disabling the multiple GPUs and just running single RX Vega 64 Liquid.
I also checked what happens with an RX Vega 64 Liquid and an R9 390X running on a Mining Adapter.

I am seeing similar behaviour.
At boot for example - the Adrenalin 2020 20.7.2 sortware is not taking much process resources before I launch it.

Then if I launch it CPU % use and GPU % shoots up and then both settle down to low % again.

Then if i start to use the GUI, such as switching tabs, scrolling, looking at performance monitoring tab the use shoots up to around 10-13%.
If I then close the GUI the CPU use sometimes drops down to ~ 0.5-1%, then later shoots up again to around 6-10%.
Other times it just sticks at about 6-10% - depending if I assign only 1 thread or - let it use all threads.

It looks like a process releated to the GUI is getting kicked off by some combination of actions and then not stopping when the GUI is closed.
I will file a Bug Report and perhaps someone will look into it. More likely it will only be tested on Windows 10 Pro 2004 and ignored for anyone else though. 

It is possible that this is only happening for people who are still stuck on Windows 10 64bit Pro 19.09, even with the latest patches.

Thanks again.

0 Likes
rikimaruuk
Journeyman III

Probably unrelated but worth ago, make sure "turn on fast start up" is switched off, since unticking that box i havent had a crash

i use 2700x and 5700xt

i used to get 3-5 crashes a day for over a year, especially on particular games (fifa 20 and pes for me)

pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes

Oh boy. Sad enought that it worked for you because nearly nobody will get the idea to look in this direction for a possible solution. :-D

Yesterday I ordered a Geforce RTX so we will see how much better this card will work for me. I'm curious about that test. =)

Thanks for your advice.

I have been running with this, and I still had problems with RX5700XT.
pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes