Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

urielejh
Elite

shadow of the tomb raider ray traced shadows not compatible with radeon boost

hi, as by title..

what is the point of radeon boost if it cannot be enabled with ray tracing?

-.-

0 Likes
7 Replies

What is the point of having Radeon Boost at all?

I think the feature you might be looking for is AMD equivalent to DLSS.

AMD do not have that.

radeon boost in dx12 games dynamically sets shader rate..

0 Likes

I have tested original Radeon Boost on Shadow of the Tomb Raider on an RX Vega Liquid and RX5700XT at 2K and 4K.  

That was using the "Hialgo (Chill, Boost,  Switch http://hialgo.com/home.html)" Boost Technology.   

In that case I found that drop in resolution when the character was running and the FPS variation was headache inducing.

The FPS when running was still lower than the FPS with the character walking or standing still.
The FPS when just rotating the character using the mouse rocketed way above the FreeSync Range of my monitor, because I run the game with in game Vsync off, and, AMD had removed FRTC from Adrenalin 2020 at the time so there was no way to limit that Frame Rate. The reported GPU Power rocketed up when rotating with Boost on versus off.

As usual, like Radeon Chill, Radeon Boost is a nice idea,  poorly implemented, just because of removal of FRTC / a few of the old Hialgo variables improrted into the Adrenalin Driver needing User ability to modify.   

So it was pointless for me.

DX12 Variable Rate Shading information here. 
Been around on Nvidia GPUs since Turing. 

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/variable-rate-shading-vrs-definition-nvidia-graphics,6342.html

Variable Rate Shading is only just available on AMD GPUs on RX6000 series GPU on selected DX12 Titles. 
It will be interesting to see how that performs eventually. 

But again it is pointless for me because:

A. RX6000 series GPUs are not available where I am, even on launch day. 

B. I am not even certain I would buy one if it were available right now until I am convinced the Radeon Adrenalin Drivers and RX6000 series cards are stable yet. 

Thanks.  

0 Likes

i've already tested 'radeon boost' in "sottr" and it works perfectly, you're not going to perceive any difference but i don't need it.. i need it with 'ray-traced shadows'.

i'm on a 6900xt and no issues till now.

0 Likes

Why not downscale the resolution and turn on Radeon Image Sharpening filter with RayTracing on, if you are trying to achieve better FPS?

That is what Sapphire Trix Boost does. 

That is the only way I know on AMD GPU to try to compenstae for lack of DLSS.

0 Likes

shadow of the tomb raider doesn't have a dynamic res scaler and the one built-in provides a bad image quality.

i asked a simple question: why can't i turn ray-traced shadows on while radeon boost is enabled?

0 Likes

RE: shadow of the tomb raider doesn't have a dynamic res scaler and the one built-in provides a bad image quality.

So turn on Radeon Image Sharpening to compensate for the "bad image quality".

RE: i asked a simple question: why can't i turn ray-traced shadows on while radeon boost is enabled?

You asked this: what is the point of radeon boost if it cannot be enabled with ray tracing?

Your post title probably answers your own question. 
"shadow of the tomb raider ray traced shadows not compatible with radeon boost".
It probably does not work yet.

0 Likes