Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

gaijinbuu
Adept I

Shader cache only generates 64KB files?

Hey folks,

Recently got my Sapphire Nitro+ RX 5700 XT and whenever I play Destiny 2 I seem to experience a bug that was fixed back in the April 2018 18.5.1 update: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-18-5-1

The game gets progressively slower and slower to load into events, locations, open inventory, everything. Initially it starts snappy and doesn't take more than 30 seconds to load into anything, after about 30 minutes to an hour the load times start to increase quickly to 5 or more minutes.

Upon looking into this slow down I found a lot of posts on reddit about the Radeon software only generating 64KB cache files. Considering this one https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/8cty1t/regarding_the_shader_cache_postadrenaline_17121/?utm_me...  was posted just before the 18.5.1 driver update I have to imagine it's the same issue and is now affecting navi cards as this issue was not prevalent on my RX 590 which my buddy uses with no issues.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue with their 5700 series cards? Is this a known issue and is being worked on?

36 Replies
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

For solving this problem, either add exe file of game to AMD game profiles and make shader cache feature enabled. Or the registry should be entered as in the picture...
Annotation 2019-10-15 104824.png

The game has been added as a profile since it was installed as all games normally are. Shader cache has been set to AMD optimized since install as well.

However, checking the registry editor the file you mentioned did not exist. I've added it and we'll see if this fixes the slow loading issue that had to be fixed with a driver update over a year and a half ago.

0 Likes

Shader cache feature should be enabled. So AMD optimized should not be selected. Registry data (mentioned by picture) makes shader cache enabled for all DX11 games. Enabling shader cache may increase loading time of some games. However, it writes buffer files in the folder "%userprofile%\AppData\Local\AMD\DxCache\" and improves performance if game uses this feature. If you make the necessary changes but game does not create files larger than 64KB for cache, game probably doesn't use this feature.

0 Likes

Briefly...
Regedit data should be entered.
The game profile should be created as in the picture.
Annotation 2019-10-15 181950.png
And datas should look like the picture.
Annotation 2019-10-15 182033.png

0 Likes

Testing this out today, we'll see if there's any improvements.

0 Likes
fuski
Journeyman III

I have exact same issue with destiny, 390x here

AMD fix this please =(

0 Likes

AMD tends to have several forks of drivers going at all times. You would think the next driver is a newer version of the last driver but that is not always the case and often how they re-introduce bugs in one fork that was fixed in another. So for all of you affected I highly suggest you let AMD support know about the issue. Driver development won't see it here. Support Ticket: https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form 

Filled out the form, thanks for the advice and link.

0 Likes

I think you're right. I just answered the question. New AMD drivers tend to keep shader cache off.
If delete "%UserProfile%\AppData\Local\ATI\" folder and,
enter the registry that ShaderCache_DEF (type REG_SZ and set 2) (If there is ShaderCache registry, it should be deleted) and,
restart the system, shader cache feature will be turned on for all DX11 games.

However, some games do not use display driver's shader cache feature. Some games create their own shader cache file. That is, it will not be enough to send a report to AMD unless the game is specified.

0 Likes

Do you mean delete the file here? C:\Users\userhere\AppData\Local\AMD\DxCache ? That's the folder in your screenshots and all the ATI folder has is another folder called ACE with another folder called APL with a 5KB file in there called user.blb

Also using %UserProfile%\AppData\Local\ATI\ and switching to my username with the % symbols just tries to open a web page.

0 Likes

I mean that delete file user.blb ... This file effects shader cache settings. You may also delete old shader cache files. After the changes you need to restart the system. This is important. Driver does not apply the settings without restarting. I solved this problem briefly like this.

0 Likes

Okay so just to make sure I now delete the ShaderCache_DEF that you told me to add previously and input REG_SZ instead? Your initial post said to add ShaderCache_DEF, so just checking.

0 Likes

Nevermind I see what you mean by "Type REG_SZ", but I am supposed to delete the ShaderCache_DEF and not add a new one?

0 Likes

Annotation 2019-10-17 201137.png

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000\UMD]
"ShaderCache_DEF"="2"

If ShaderCache registry exists, it will be deleted.
ShaderCache_DEF registry will be added, such as the above image and regedit content.
Radeon Global Settings should look like it doesn't have Shader Cache setting, as in the picture above.

0 Likes

the defaults for the shader cache work fine, no need to mess with it

0 Likes

Default settings when I installed Destiny 2 did not work fine for me. The game would get progressively slower to load taking me anywhere from 5-10+ minutes to load into any event or location. As mentioned it was an issue that was fixed before.

0 Likes

gaijinbuu wrote:

Default settings when I installed Destiny 2 did not work fine for me. The game would get progressively slower to load taking me anywhere from 5-10+ minutes to load into any event or location. As mentioned it was an issue that was fixed before.

seems to work on my box fine with no fiddling

mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

I have written to you how to turn on shader cache for all DX11 games. With Regedit data, shader cache are enabled for all games. Also, with creating a game profile, shader cache can be forced to enable. AMD gaming profiles sometimes occur via Steam ID. So adding game exe may not work. If you make the necessary changes but you cannot get results...
https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form 
Also, enabling this feature does not usually give you more FPS. It only allows you to get stable FPS. As you mentioned in the title ... If AMD shader cache doesn't create a file larger than 64KB and you've done what you need... Maybe the game doesn't support it. You asked questions without specifying what your problem was. I'm just trying to answer your question. But I'm not sure the problem is shader cache.

0 Likes

I didn't specify my problem? Are you sure you read my initial post because I definitely explained the problem as well as linked to a related reddit thread with numerous people documenting the issue and linked to a driver update from last April which explicitly states it resolved the issue I specifically mentioned in my post.

I stated both that my AMD cache files are generating at 64KB in my cache directory and that I was having an issue with increasingly long load times in Destiny 2 (which I can guarantee supports cache as other have reported as much).

I never once complained about unstable frame rates or even responded to a post from you since the 17th. Not trying to be a jerk or anything but I have no idea where your most recent comment has come from or why it was posted or how you seem to think I didn't specify a single issue.

0 Likes

Using shader cache feature increases loading time. Shader cache feature writes some data to the buffer at the time of loading and provides consistent FPS using this buffer after loading. That's all. This game pushes hard drives with new updates and increases the load times. I can confirm that this game has this problem, because I played it.

0 Likes

Dude can you not read?

Let's try this AGAIN this has been an issue that was acknowledged to be caused by AMD's own driver and was fixed in the April 2018 18.5.1 Adrenaline patch. Here are the notes AGAIN https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-18-5-1 

This is not a game issue, this is an AMD Radeon issue and was confirmed and fixed. Since I doubt you'll actually click the link or read it let me post the "Fixed Issue" section relevant here:

"Destiny™2 may experience increasing load time durations when the game is run for extended periods of time."

This is not a Destiny problem or else my buddy using an Nvidia card or my buddy using a pre Navi AMD GPU (RX 590) would suffer the exact same issue as me, yet they do not. Why? Because it's a bug that was fixed before and has come back.

0 Likes

Problems you mentioned do not indicate that the problem is still exist for NAVI architecture and the new driver. If you think about this, you may contact AMD. I've read what you're talking about, but I don't think the problem has anything to do with them. Of course for me... Usually, logins or loads take too long without a SSD. I agree with this problem.

0 Likes

Again proving you didn't read anything. The issue I've described is the exact same issue they fixed. I specifically mentioned increasingly long loading times. I have a WD SN750 Black nVme with a read speeds up to 3,470 MB/s. Please tell me again how it's my HDD and not the driver software being broken again?

If my friend has a pre navi RX 590 where they have fixed this issue and he has no problems with the same nVme yet I have a navi card with increasingly long loading times it's pretty obvious that the bug that was on the pre navi cards and was fixed now exists on navi cards.

0 Likes

You argue that I don't read your write, just like you say that this problem is driver-related. But I can't prove to you that this problem is not driver-related. Because I deleted the game about a year ago. If someone who has Destiny 2 installed on this forum site, please share your experience with us...

0 Likes

I'm downloading the game again. This time on Steam. Because I deleted it when it turned to Steam. I will share my experiences. I hope you continue to follow this link.

0 Likes

Annotation 2019-10-20 211913.png
I took this picture after deleting shader cache buffer. My system took about a minute to create first shader cache and AMD driver successfully created shader cache file for this game. My YouTube sharing was created using OBS Studio software. I also think AMD solved the OBS performance problem.

0 Likes

How long did you play? Remember my issue has nothing to due with frame rates. The issue is with increasingly long loading times to get into activities which as stated multiple times is the issue they fixed April 2018 because it was a known bug with their own drivers.

Initially the game starts out fine and everything loads great. After 30 minutes or so those minute or thirty second load times you experienced significantly increase to 5-10 minutes. Frame rate performance has been solid and is a non-issue for me.

0 Likes

I just played for the record. I don't have long-time experience. But I used to play a lot one year ago. And I didn't have a problem. It worked stable for hours. The problem may be different for you. Because GPUs are different. Long-time experience relates to GPU stabilization. I have RX 480.

0 Likes

Come on man... I've already told you you this was fixed in April 2018 for Polaris cards. You're not going to have the same issue I'm having or other RX 5700 card users are. You really should have started out with that information.

Thanks for trying to help but any information or testing you can provide is irrelevant as the issue was already fixed for your cards in April 2018.

0 Likes

Maybe you're right, maybe not. The game has using shader cache (30MB or more not 64KB), as you mentioned in the title. And it is possible that you will have problems if the driver does not create shader cache file.

0 Likes

Have you read any of the steam posts re 'load times' ?

Not saying it may not be a driver issue, but there are other factors that may weigh in with the move to steam. 

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes
nopancakemix
Journeyman III

Hey! I have a Vega 64 on the latest drivers and am having the exact same issue in Destiny 2! I am beyond frustrated trying to fix this issue and I've been searching online nearly everyday for a solution so when I saw this post I had to make an account to echo your frustrations!

I thought something else was wrong because I've also read about how this was fixed previously but it seems to be a bug that has been reintroduced somehow. 

Everything that gaijinbuu‌ described is the same for me, I have the game on a fast SSD and the load times start off fine but get unbearably long, 5min+ load times where my fireteam is already across the map but only after playing the  game for 30 minutes and gets worse the longer the play session.

I've tried many things to fix this issue but i am convinced this is driver related. 

0 Likes

Seeing as were going to add any graphics card, I have not yet had any long load time.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes
martwekolano
Journeyman III

Hey, did you fix that? I have same problem on rx480, 2020 adrenalin drivers

0 Likes

Try to reinstall your OC that personally helped me. Seems like it was some registry problem.

0 Likes

You mean OS? Didn't worked for me

0 Likes