cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

guillermoaraujo
Journeyman III

Serious mouse lag/freezing after AMD Driver update

Hello, I'm not very experienced with this kind of stuff and I just made an account to ask about this issue specifically because I'm pretty desperate, I've been dealing with this problem for 2 years and haven't been able to find a fix to this day, the problem is that whenever I restart my computer after a graphics card driver update I end up with really bad mouse lag/freezing, whenever I move my cursor it freezes for a second every 3-4 seconds, this affects some games that become unplayable because of it, some games are not affected by it but it's rare, other stuff such as videos are also affected, by the time I started having this issue I didn't thought of doing a system restore or rolling back drivers so I ended up stuck with the problem

I'm recently making a post about this even though I've had this issue for years because I thought I just got rid of it recently, I moved from Windows 10 to Windows 7 and with the help of a friend all drivers were reinstalled, the mouse lag was gone but I was still having issues since the driver that was installed was outdated and couldn't run certain games, I had decided to update the drivers which caused the same issue, thankfully I did a restore point and I'm not dealing with the issue right now but I am pretty stuck, I've tried several driver updates and versions, no matter what they always give me the same issue, currently I am stuck with a Standard VGA Graphics Adapter and I don't know how I can update to a driver that doesn't give me mouse issues, a friend told me that maybe I should get an older AMD driver update but I know very little of this and I'm not sure what to try

The processor is AMD A6-6310 APU with AMD Radeon R4 Graphic

0 Likes
13 Replies
Hardwood
Paragon

This issue affected a lot of us last year ish. It's been fixed. It was related to HDMI HDCP support.

You can use the latest driver, here's a link. Radeon™ Software Adrenalin 2019 Edition 19.6.2 Release Notes | AMD 

Read the release notes and note the known issues about uninstalling.

To be safe you could use Display Driver Uninstaller first.

ASUS TUF X570 wifi, AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, ASRock 6700XT Challenger, Antec Truepower new 700w. 32GB
larry767
Journeyman III

I have tried numerous times to uninstall and reinstall the driver and everytime I the AMD driver is activated the mouse/cursor stalls return.  This is on a completely fresh installed Windows 10 2004 Acer System with an AMD A6-6310 R4.  If the problem was supposedly fixed, what am I doing wrong that I keep having the problem?

0 Likes

Hi larry767,

I've had the same issue for years now. For the longest time, I thought it was just an issue with Windows Update to the new version. I believe that before 2018 or 19, this graphics driver did play nice with Windows for whatever reason. I purposefully kept Windows un-updated for this reason, but sometime in 2019, I decided to update to the latest windows version to see if the issue got fixed. It did not.

I ended up "fixing" the mouse lag by going into my Device manager program, clicking on Display adapters, and right clicking to disable the AMD Radeon(TM) R4 Graphics driver. This solved the issue immediately, and now, it pops up again once windows re-updates (presumably re-enabling the driver). I don't really game on this computer, so it's not an issue for me, so if you're in the same boat there, this solution may work for you or whoever else is reading this.

I don't think you're doing anything wrong - it just sounds like this driver and windows update aren't playing nice with one another, and neither company is willing to look into it because this is such an old system and probably only affects a handful of us.

My computer:

Dell Inspiron purchased around 2017 at Staples

AMD A6-6310 APU with AMD Radeon R4 Graphics

0 Likes

So, my uncle has been having this lag issue for the longest time. His mouse, and really, the system will freeze every 2 seconds.  Not kidding, it would drive me nuts.  Two seconds it works, one second, or a fraction of, it freezes.  Even watching YouTube videos, it's freezes every two seconds.   

Finally, I took a look at his laptop and tried a few things. Today, I installed the Windows 10 64 bit driver/software that I found on the support page (radeon-software-adrenalin-2020-21.5.2-win10-64bit-legacyasics-june21-legacy). 

The program ran, said it would set the graphics back to factory settings (or something like that)  and at some point during the process the mouse and laptop instantly began working as it should. I was thrilled.  When it finished, it said the laptop had to restart. The laptop restarted, after some updates, and the mouse continued to work great.    When I logged in, the AMD software ran another 5 minutes. I can't remember if just started or I clicked start. But it ran five minutes, and boom, the lag was back.  Better, it does it only every 3 seconds now, lol.  So, any suggestions on what I should try?  

Have a look in radeon settings > preferences, disable AMD UEP (disabled will show as 'Learn More').

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

Thanks. We looked, but it was disabled already.  So I uninstalled the program and the mouse lag/freeze went completely away.  However, he looses the ability to change the brightness and to connect his television with the hdmi.  So, we reinstalled it and he's living with the lag/freeze again.

0 Likes

The only thing I was able to get to work was to install an old driver 16.12.2. I installed the driver only and not the full amd software. Older driver can be found at https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-16-12-2

Hope this helps.

0 Likes
hussainsafaa
Journeyman III

Finally, I fixed it!

The main idea is to install an old, stable GPU update, which you’ll find at the support site of your laptop manufacturer.

for me, I uninstalled the problematic driver from device manager, the I write my laptop model number at HP site, then selected my OS ( which is win 10 64bit), then downloaded the available GPU driver (which in fact, it’s relase date in 2016), I installed and finally…….. a driver without lag and the problem fixed!!!!

hope that will help people complaining of the this frustrating problem.

0 Likes

This is unfortunately only a workaround.

I was using an April 2022 build of the driver until today. I ran into severely low FPS in a game and the only fix seemed to be updating to the most recent driver. Now I'm feeling the stuttering again.

0 Likes

Have you tried the GCN Amernime driver? It helped a lot on my AMD A8-7410 APU  

0 Likes
TigreMarino
Journeyman III

Hello,

I am a user of an HP laptop powered by an AMD A8-7410 APU, quite a nice rig for Internet browsing, Blender modelling and even some light duty editing on Capcut, and found out that only HP provided drivers could be used in those products.

HP has not updated those drivers since 2016, so support for some features like Vulkan is not existant. Some games and software will not work and any performance improvements that AMD has made for Carrizo, Carrizo-L and Bristol Ridge products will not be available on your platform. 

Even Chrome will disable graphic acceleration which will slow layout, 3D-processing like WebGL and even video decoding.

If you try to install the official AMD Adrenalin drivers, you will find lockups and the terrible mouse stuttering (mouse pauses for a second every 3 seconds). This hiccups or mouse stuttering cannot be fixed by the user, however I found a solution. 

Back in the early 2000s, there were tweaked drivers by AMD fans that fixed some of the problems current drivers might have, these were called Omega drivers, and users craved them because they gave stability fixes and performance/feature gains over the official AMD drivers. 

Hope has been found in Amernime Zone, a not official AMD driver which works on legacy platforms and fixes some of the issues. Yesterday, I downloaded Legacy GCN 23.7.2 Flex... and it has a nice install script, which has an option to "Fix Stuttering mouse on APUs"!!!! 

Yes, as amazing as it sounds the driver will install and the stuttering will dissapear! And things like Vulkan will be enabled! Of course, the Vulkan performance is quite crappy on Beema-based R5 chipsets but I was able to play DirectX-11 titles quite faster than with the HP supplied 2016 driver! 

Give it a try! 

There are drivers for GCN 1/2/3 like the Carrizos and Bristol Ridges and for the even older Terascale (Llano like A8-3500m) APUs! 

i have the same issue 3s stuttering and i used amernime zone 23 version driver. and used that hotfix (mouse stuttering).very thing done.but it changed my driver from AMD Radeon to R3 graphics driver. is there any problem. it fix the stutterings and i am able to play games. but there is a huge stuck in the screen when i multi tasking.i can't do anything i just force shutoff .

my device win 8 (need to using 10)

Amd radeon 8210

AMD E1-2100 APU  with Radeon(TM) HD Graphics

0 Likes
Nerdturd
Journeyman III

Latest Adrenalin Update & Mouse Lag

As per older updates to the AMD driver update software Adrenalin there tends to be a bug they miss that causes severe lag/stutter in the mouse. For me, this bug came as mouse lag on the main desktop screen. I had to open up any software app to get smooth control back but it’s temporary and is only smooth in the apps window if you scroll off the window onto the main desktop screen the lag instantly comes back until your cursor is over the app window again. The master app that gave me smooth control even when minimized was the Windows Store app.  Come to find out I had to revert back to the my previous Adrenalin version. To do this, use the “Installed Apps” program to remove/uninstall the newest version. Then scroll to your C: drive - AMD folder and find your last/previous version and double click/install that.  For me I reverted from 23.11.1 to 22.10.2 at least until they patch it up or the next version comes out. Hope this helps!

0 Likes