Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

Serious DirectX 12 and AMD drivers problems on mobile platforms with AMD APUs

Hello.

I have HP Probook 455 G1 with APU AMD A10 5750M with integrated GPU AMD HD8650G and dedicated AMD HD8750M 2GB (which is said to be DirectX 12 supported) - notebook also has dual graphic support, Windows 10 Professional with latest updates installed.

I still face problem when dxdiag.exe reports DirectX 11.2 and WDDM 1.3 driver only! I already tried AMD Catalyst 15.7.1 and 15.8 Beta drivers - no changes!!! I'm really confused and angry, because HD 8750M is said to be DirectX 12 supported and compatible (but probably not HD8650G inside AMD A10). This must be some kind of driver problem. I want to use DirectX 12 with my dedicated HD8750M, not integrated HD8650G!

I'm not the only one facing this issue. There are many people on the internet and forums having the same issues! Users with Intel Core i5 and HD8750M reports that DirectX is working for them and dxdiag.exe reports DirectX 12 and WDDM 2.0. My computer reports DirectX 11.2 and WDDM 1.3! Now I cannot run DirectX 12 apps like Ashes of the Singularity or DirectX 12 Elemental Demo (Unreal Engine) and use DX12 advantages - they are simply not working.

This is serious problem and I hope it will be fixed soon (still no reactions from AMD, no statements). This contitutes bad publicity.

Your customers, which choosed AMD APU instead of Intel APU are disandvantaged,.. again! Your reactions are welcomed.

With kind regards,

Michal Herout.

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Highlighted
Miniboss
Miniboss

Re: Serious DirectX 12 and AMD drivers problems on mobile platforms with AMD APUs

Seems simple enough to me...dxdiag in your case is seeing the HD8650G not your HD8750M 2GB, for some reasonYour 8750M is dx12; your 8650G is not.  The Internet is chock full of people who have similar problems with dual-gpu laptops (intel + nVIdia; intel + AMD; nVidia + nVidia, AMD + AMD, etc.)  In your case the relevant party for your drivers is HP...they designed your laptop and your particular dual-gpu setup, and since it is a custom design (all dual-gpu laptops are custom designs) the only place you can get drivers for it is the HP website.

Laptops are a special case for drivers...I'm pretty sure that somewhere in the driver info it publishes, AMD states clearly that not all laptops can be assumed to run properly with AMD's generic mobility drivers, and that if those drivers won't install to your laptop then it is because you need to seek drivers from your laptop OEM.  Again, in your case, that is HP. You need to do some serious barking up that tree...Smiley Wink

I can agree with your sentiment to this extent: AMD's mobility driver pages should have the disclaimer writ in big, bold lettering because it's surprising how many people these days don't bother to read normal-sized fonts.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Re: Serious DirectX 12 and AMD drivers problems on mobile platforms with AMD APUs

Another thing that needs further clarification is the DX12 support for the APU...regardless of the graphics card. The following list indicates your APU doesn't fully support DX12....but all HD 8000M series does.

The following AMD Radeon™ Graphics products fully support DirectX® 12 and will provide the complete Windows® 10 experience:

• AMD Radeon™ R9 Series Graphics
  • AMD Radeon™ R7 Series Graphics
  • AMD Radeon™ R5 240 GPU
  • AMD Radeon™ HD 8000 Series Graphics for OEM systems (HD 8570 and up)
  • AMD Radeon™ HD 8000M Series Graphics for notebooks
  • AMD Radeon™ HD 7000 Series Graphics (HD 7730 and up)
  • AMD Radeon™ HD 7000M Series Graphics for notebooks (HD 7730M and up)
  • AMD A4-7000 Series, A6-7000 Series, A8-7000 Series, A10-7000 Series APUs
  • AMD A6 PRO-7000 Series, A8 PRO-7000 Series, A10 PRO-7000 Series APUs
  • AMD E1/A4/A10 Micro-6000 Series APUs
  • AMD E1/E2/A4/A6/A8-6000 Series APUs
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

HP has a bios update for your laptop...make sure you have the latest version

Drivers & Software for HP ProBook 455 G1 Notebook PC - HP Support Center.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

Thank you for the tip. 

Hmm. I always keep my hardware and software updated. My notebook BIOS is

already latest. Their BIOS update just fixes random freezes when waking up

from S4 power state.

It has to be software (driver) related problem. I never had problems with

AMD drivers under OEM products (until now). HD8650G is WLIV4, not GCN

architecture, so I don't understand why AMD says all HD8*** OEMs are DirectX

12 compatible. When I was testing Windows 10 Insider Preview, dxdiag.exe was

reporting DirectX 12 and WDDM 2.0! I'm sure with that.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

You can post  wherever you want and it doesn't change a thing. It's your APU that does not meet the specs.

The following AMD Radeon™ Graphics products fully support DirectX® 12 and will provide the complete Windows® 10 experience:

AMD Radeon™ R9 Series Graphics

AMD Radeon™ R7 Series Graphics

AMD Radeon™ R5 240 GPU

AMD Radeon™ HD 8000 Series Graphics for OEM systems (HD 8570 and up)

AMD Radeon™ HD 8000M Series Graphics for notebooks

AMD Radeon™ HD 7000 Series Graphics (HD 7730 and up)

AMD Radeon™ HD 7000M Series Graphics for notebooks (HD 7730M and up)

AMD A4-7000 Series, A6-7000 Series, A8-7000 Series, A10-7000 Series APUs

AMD A6 PRO-7000 Series, A8 PRO-7000 Series, A10 PRO-7000 Series APUs

AMD E1/A4/A10 Micro-6000 Series APUs

AMD E1/E2/A4/A6/A8-6000 Series APUs

AMD A4/A6/A8/A10-7000 Series APUs (codenamed “Kaveri”)

AMD A6/A8/A10 PRO-7000 Series APUs (codenamed “Kaveri”)

AMD E1/A4/A10 Micro-6000 Series APUs (codenamed “Mullins”)

AMD E1/E2/A4/A6/A8-6000 Series APUs (codenamed “Beema”)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

So, you want me to say that Intel/AMD users (Core i5-4200M with integrated Intel HD Graphic 4600 and AMD Radeon HD8750M) can use DirectX12 and

AMD/AMD users (for example) with AMD A10 - 5750M (integrated HD8650G) and the same, dedicated AMD Radeon HD8750M can't?

That sounds weird, really.

APU (CPU) respectively has nothing to do with graphics standarts or DirectX - if primary used card will be dedicated and DirectX 12 supported GPU. This is what I want. I want to use my compatible discrete GPU to run DirectX 12 apps.

I will give you an example:

I'm gonna build this system

APU AMD A8-5500 + AMD R9 290X - won't be still DirectX 12 capable because of the APU?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

It is weird...but it is what it is. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

If you'll build this system, you'll be ok

The problem is enduro

0 Kudos