Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

nonsense2596
Adept I

Second screen flicker with minimal OC with new drivers

Jump to solution

Hello!

So I have a Sapphire r9 280x 3gb card on a Windows 10 Creators x64 system. A month or two ago, it began throwing "Radeon Settings host application stopped working" errors whenever I opened MSI Afterburner.

Today I removed both Afterburner / Rivatuner and everything AMD from my computer, disabled the Windows auto-update service, and also used DisplayDriverUninstaller.

After a restart, I installed the latest version (17.4.4), and the second I touched either the core frequency/memory frequency or power limit sliders (starting from +1mhz), my second screen instantly starts to flicker, even in indle.

The same goes for 17.4.2 and 17.4.3 I tried after it.

Previously, the card worked for three years at 1150/1600 up from the default frequencies of 1070/1550.

I don't think anything is wrong with my card, considering it started producing this error only after a driver reinstall, but what should be the Crimson version I try, that won't cause this flickering issue?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
nonsense2596
Adept I

Re: Second screen flicker with minimal OC with new drivers

Jump to solution

Somehow I didn't notice, there is a 17.5.2 version.

It fixed the problem, thanks.

An alternative solution I found out about was forcing constant voltage, enabling unofficial overclocking mode and disabling the Ultra Low Power State in Afterburner.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ray_m
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

Have you tried the latest Crimson 17.5.2 driver version ?

nonsense2596
Adept I

Jump to solution

Somehow I didn't notice, there is a 17.5.2 version.

It fixed the problem, thanks.

An alternative solution I found out about was forcing constant voltage, enabling unofficial overclocking mode and disabling the Ultra Low Power State in Afterburner.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
doothe
Elite

Jump to solution

I have the same problem. It happens to me when I reset to default in MSI Afterburner. Overclocking seems fine until I reset. Resetting causes all monitors to exhibit flickering and eventually crashing.

0 Kudos
kingfish
MVP

Jump to solution

Third party graphics controllers conflict with Wattman/AMD controls. Best to uninstall them.

RX480 FPS drop in all games

asus dual radeon rx480 4GB GDDR5

RX 480 BSOD and Driver Crash

Could anyone make the R9 Fury work using Oculus Rift CV1 with any driver newer than 16.11.xx? Please...

Drivers seems to install correctly, but doesn't work on reboot

driver stopped responding and has recovered

"AMD manufactures the physical GPU chip and provides it to manufacturers like MSI, ASUS, etc. These companies design boards around the basic GPU supplied by AMD. That means they may tweak or change some features of the the GPU. The Crimson ReLive drivers are based on a standard GPU implementation and therefore if there are customizations made by the AIB, the driver does not have access to all the features."

0 Kudos
ray_m
Community Manager
Community Manager

Jump to solution

MODERATOR NOTE:  I am glad to see you have resolved your issue. To help keep this post on topic and help other with a similar issue, I am locking this thread.

0 Kudos