Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

epicwolverine
Adept I
Adept I

Screens flicker on drivers after driver 19.5.2

I've wanted to update my drivers for quite a while now but any attempt to update past 19.5.2 eventually results in a nauseating flicker that persists until I reboot. I haven't pinned down exactly what causes it but it looks like it's certain effects in games or even common applications. I've filmed a video of causing the problem (apologies for the length): https://youtu.be/JTNwivSCaZo.

Relevant specs:

Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 18363)

Intel i5-4690

ASUS Radeon RX 580 DUAL-RX580-O8G

3x ViewSonic XG2401

I'm not the only person with this issue, but this discussion has no replies: Flicker screen after updating drivers adrenaline We both have multiple monitors and drivers after 19.5.2 are unstable.

I could continue to use 19.5.2 but I've begun to have other weird intermittent problems with certain games (especially CoD:MW) that I suspect are fixed in the current driver version. Thanks in advance!

16 Replies
epicwolverine
Adept I
Adept I

Re: Screens flicker on drivers after driver 19.5.2

Since this doesn't seem to be getting any traction here, is there another forum or support site I can contact?

xiatian
Adept II
Adept II

There is a bug report form: http://www.amd.com/report 

Just do not expect much. I have the same issue with my Radeon VII which I bought because the flicker made me think my old HD7950 was fried…

willbott
Adept I
Adept I

epicwolverine‌ Did you ever manage to fix this? I have the same issue. If I roll back to 19.1.2 I have no issues - tried 19.9.2 really bad flicker issue. Went back to 19.1.2 no issue again. So figured it was a driver between 19.1.2 and 19.9.2 - so 19.5.2 makes perfect sense.

I get the issue with all versions of 2020...

Been on to AMD and ASUS - but no real joy. They seem to think it should work fine....

My system

MSI B450 Tomahawk Max - Mo Bo

Ryzen 5 3600 CPU

Asus RX580 OC 4GB GPU

2 x Philips 246E 1080p monitors (75hz)

16gb RAM

Really appreciate anything you managed to find out about this!

Will

0 Kudos
epicwolverine
Adept I
Adept I

Indirectly, yes. My SSD died so I had to reinstall Windows and used the latest driver (20.4.2). I haven't had problems yet. Hopefully it doesn't manifest itself again in the next driver update

willbott
Adept I
Adept I

Thanks man. Looking at your video my issue is exactly the same! And I have an RX580 too. It's really odd as there is no issue on the older drivers - and for a while I was running 2020 fine. Then once the issue started no version of 2020 would get rid of it - only going back to like 19.1.2 fixes it for me. Sounds like I need to do a clean W10 install. Not really go the time to do it. Thanks for the help though - good to know there might be a fix. 

0 Kudos
willbott
Adept I
Adept I

Drat! Full clean W10 install. 20.4.2 installed. Still got the flicker issue..... Dam! Back to 19.1.2 for me.....

0 Kudos
xiatian
Adept II
Adept II

Sometimes after a complete reinstall (with repartitioning) the issue does not manifest for a few days but then it came back with a vengeance and crushed my hopes (cards tested are Radeon HD7950 and Radeon VII).

Does 19.5.2 not work for you?

willbott
Adept I
Adept I

Hi there

Thank you so much for replying.

19.5.2 works but W10 is now forcing an update on me - even if I block

hardware updates. So I either have to never update W10 again - or get

pushed on to the latest 2020 and the crazy bad flickering comes black....

I'm now in the process of having to reinstall everything on my computer AND

I have the flickering issue really bad..... Not great.

0 Kudos
kingfish
Esteemed Contributor III

0 Kudos