cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

vorex_
Adept I

Screen Tearing r9 270 (Dota 2)

If possible, I would like to communicate in Russian.
I am writing through google translator with slight corrections:

FPS 90-120 PING 40, but lags without a network with bots.

*** The lags look like this: when you move the camera in the game, as if the FPS drops to 30-15 for ~ 3 seconds every 5-6 seconds, but the FPS is stable on the graphs, and even the frame time does not twitch much. And also if you limit the FPS to the value of the monitor without vertical synchronization, then horizontal stripes appear.

And the longer and harder you load the PC, the more these lags, they can even change their appearance and turn into Internet lags (model heroes jerk, roll back, or generally all run in place 1/2 second)

The problem started suddenly, at that time more than 3 months passed after the installation of new components and the processor was in a slight overclock (From 3.1 to 3.5 CPU)
*After the next launch, DotA 2 started to lag - these lags looked like an Internet lag, but ping was normal and there were no packet losses, the provider also did not find problems on its side. I started digging around and found that in the 2020 AMD Adrealin driver there was a high frame time in the statistics, later with MSI AFTERBERNER tests the screen (Overlay) had a stable frame time as it should be at 120 fps (~ 9.8ms), but on the 2 graph directly Afterberner’s program had significant leaps and at best 15ms and they increased with time up to 21ms (+ friezes 120ms) P.S. Another processor and video card hold frequencies and do not drop them.

***With increasing frame limits, lags are less noticeable or their intervals are shorter.

*Digging in this direction, I tested everything related to PC performance, overclocking the CPU, RAM, overclocking the monitor and the possible possible overheating with them. Then without overclocking at all (Now so). All possible images of Windows 7/8/10 systems, drivers for all devices and connectors, different BIOS versions, reinstalled the game, Steam, updated caches, optimized systems with programs and more, worked with Windows power. Most likely I forgot a lot of what else I did in the hardware case.
After that, I climbed into the computer hardware, changed the hard drive, changed the wire from the monitor (FOR display port to HDMI), all the connectors on the motherboard, usb, RAM, and the power supply checked everything. I cleaned the pc from dust. And most likely I still forgot something that I did in real life with a computer.

My findings related to this:

(I can say, obviously this is due to the rendering of frames /break frames, possibly a video card to the monitor or vice versa. And yes, I tried another monitor, it also stuttered)
***4. This may be due to the AMD driver, because when I changed some parameters in it, sometimes the computer stopped lagging for a whole day (Before restarting) Well, in general, the lags started appearing around the time when AMD decided to upgrade to the new version in 2020, with new technologies

*P.s. Write, if I need to try something, I will definitely do it, with the exception of those cases where I have a ready-made answer.

Dota 2 game settings: very low

FRESH WINDOWS 7 64bit

CPU: AMD RYZEN R3 1200 4 CORE (No overclocking ~3.1GHz)
MONITOR: Iiyama ProLite 2530H (HDMI) 75GHz
MOTHER PLATE: Asus Prime B450M-K
BIOS DRIVER: PRIME B450M-K BIOS 2006 (LAST VERSION)
MEM: 16 GB DDR4 RAM (2 identical trims)
POWER: 650W CHEEFTEС

GPU: Asus R9270 (HDMI)

GPU DRIVER: 20.2.1 (30.1.2020)

SATA: NEW Disk 1TB

1 Solution
vorex_
Adept I

hardcoregames™ The problem was solved.

Fix: Set up 240 fps in the game (Slider in Dota 2)

What was the problem itself: Due to some kind of Dota 2 update, the game became more optimized for video cards (In my case, AMD), which is why the video card worked in a weird way with limits 120 fps (It tried to give out more frames to the processor than necessary (There used to be a limit of 120 frames and the lower the limit, the more lags there were)) Vertical synchronization helped by preventing the video card from doing more than the first frame, but an imp lag appeared.
In general, IF the VIDEO CARD can produce much more frames than the limit, it is better to set a larger count. FPS

***I also want to say I know that the more frames the shorter the frame time, due to the larger selection of frames to the processor. But the delay at 75 fps was more than 20ms, and it was constantly growing from hour to hour + it was not stable when it should be 13.3ms (As on the frame time of the video card)

P.s. Below are screenshots of "BEFORE / AFTER", for example, graphs from the AMD driver.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
5 Replies
vorex_
Adept I

In order to raise the topic, I will write a couple of useful things in solving similar problems, and I will give a couple of answers from my research, I think it will be useful to many.

***1. High frame time (which is shown in the AMD driver and MSI afterb) in DotA 2, for all. This is how the game is arranged, this is not an indicator of the lags of your particular system, it is an indicator of non-optimization of the game engine.

2. Because my problem is related to frame breaks, vertical synchronization will most likely help you, but this will lead to imput lags. Therefore, ideally, it is better not to use it, but to find a third-party solution.

**3. Monitor wire may cause break frames, keep in mind. In order to check this, you can swap the input and output, if the image quality improves, then for the most part it can be in the wire (HDMI, DISPLAY PORT)

***4. Windows Vista, 7, 8., 8.1, and possibly 10, this article will be useful - click.

5. The power supply cannot affect the frame break, however, like the hard drive

6. "Overdrive" on monitor may affect tears and artifacts

*7. Windows 10 Extremely cluttered with garbage, it is better to switch to windows 7 - this will lead to 15-40% of system performance (There are of course still truncated Windows 10, or special images, but it's better still Windows 7)

8. Overclocking, replacing RAM didn’t change my alignment, but you can try (This applies to both timings and frequencies) To check, just pull out 1 bar and try then repeat the same with 2

I am not a professional in this matter, so do not take it as an
axiom, I just shared my experience.

0 Likes

I see two drawbacks, your CPU is the bottom of the line so it may bottleneck easily.

Second you should be using Windows 10 which is now much better for gaming than ever.

Thanks for the suggestions!

1. On the old i3120 processor, there were no such problems, but there were 40-100 fps (now with overclocking 70-120). On the new processor I even stream for some time (when it was overclocked) and there were no problems, the problem appeared as soon as I upgraded from 1803 windows 10 to 1903 - then they appeared, but the rollback to the previous version did not help, as well as updating windows to 1909 and reinstalling the system, and installing windows 7. And installing windows 10 1703, also did not help.

2. I think I answered this in the 1st paragraph.

P.s. 

As for the processor, I overclocked it to 4.0 and 3.5 and kept it in stock - it did not help. Checked the voltage - everything is ok, checked the temperature - everything is ok, the dough in Hades and in other more powerful programs - everything is ok. I thought maybe the motherboard mowed, updated the BIOS - it did not help. In general, the processor is loaded at 70% maximum.

And yet, when I set the vertical synchronization, the lags disappear, but an imput lag appears. So the matter is in the frame breaks between the monitor and the video card. But how to fix this, I do not know. Previously, this did not happen, maybe it's all the same in the power block monitor's / pc's, I do not use a network filter, so the thing is about these 2 most likely.

0 Likes

To perk up games you should consider an X570 motherboard with even the R5 3600 which will blow your current right away withe performance gains.

vorex_
Adept I

hardcoregames™ The problem was solved.

Fix: Set up 240 fps in the game (Slider in Dota 2)

What was the problem itself: Due to some kind of Dota 2 update, the game became more optimized for video cards (In my case, AMD), which is why the video card worked in a weird way with limits 120 fps (It tried to give out more frames to the processor than necessary (There used to be a limit of 120 frames and the lower the limit, the more lags there were)) Vertical synchronization helped by preventing the video card from doing more than the first frame, but an imp lag appeared.
In general, IF the VIDEO CARD can produce much more frames than the limit, it is better to set a larger count. FPS

***I also want to say I know that the more frames the shorter the frame time, due to the larger selection of frames to the processor. But the delay at 75 fps was more than 20ms, and it was constantly growing from hour to hour + it was not stable when it should be 13.3ms (As on the frame time of the video card)

P.s. Below are screenshots of "BEFORE / AFTER", for example, graphs from the AMD driver.

0 Likes