Screen goes blank while playing.

Hi.

Before anything, here's my spec:

System Manufacturer: Toshiba
     System Model: Satellite L840
     Processor: Intel Core i5 3230M @ 2.60GHz
     Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 7670M
     RAM: 6.00 GB.

I've encountered a problem while playing DotA 2. My screen would just go blank ( like it's off. ) without warning and my keyboard seems to stop working too (The capslock doesn't light up like it does whenever I press it). But my laptop is still on. I can still hear the music from the game but it's only in a loop. I have to either hold my power button or pull out the battery to restart my laptop.

I've checked for any outdated drivers but they're all up to date. I scanned my RAM for errors but Windows said it's fine ( I even swapped RAMs). I also put the lowest settings in the game but it still doesn't solve it. What's strange is that this game is the only thing that triggers the problem. I have other graphics demanding games such as Fallout and they work fine even if I play for hours. I've been playing DotA 2 for 2 years now but only since late 2015 has this problem occurred.

Edi The fps is also inconsistent even on lowest settings. It would sometimes go down to 30 below. I've set every option to high performance at CCC.exe but it didn't help.

Message was edited by: Ezra Canare

0 Kudos
9 Replies
amdmatt
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Screen goes blank while playing.

What AMD drivers are you using? It might be worth trying an older driver depending on your current version.

0 Kudos
ezracanare
Adept I

0 Kudos
amdmatt
Community Manager
Community Manager

Okay, that is an old driver. Let's try updating your system to the latest version.

Please uninstall all AMD Drivers, including chipset drivers using the following guide.

Before you update your drivers, run Windows Update and ensure you’re checking for and installing all available updates, including non-critical and recommended updates. You may have to restart your computer several times and check for new updates upon reboot of your computer before it’s fully up to date.

The next step is to download and install the display drivers for your graphics card.

Step 1> Go to http://support.amd.com/en-us/download

Step 2> Scroll down to manually select your driver

Step 3> Select Notebook Graphics

Step 4> Select Your Graphics Card Family from the list (Radeon HD Series)

Step 5> Select Your Specific Graphics Card (HD 76xxM)

Step 6> Select your Operating System (Win 8.1)

Step 7> Click Display results

Step 8>  Download 16.1.1 Legacy Driver

Use this guide to install the drivers. Note, you may wish to select a custom install and uncheck the AMD Gaming Evolved App from installing with our drivers.

0 Kudos
ezracanare
Adept I

Hmm. It doesn't seem to give me the 16.1.1 Legacy Driver. Rather: This.​ But it doesn't seem to support my graphics card ( Radeon HD 7670M ). I let Autodetect to find the latest driver for me and it gave the 15.7.1 version.

Edit: Also, 13.151.0.0 is the version Windows is giving me.

0 Kudos
amdmatt
Community Manager
Community Manager

You are correct, there appears to be a mistake in our system. I will notify the web team.

Click here for the Crimson 16.1.1 Beta driver you need.

ezracanare
Adept I

I've upgraded to version 16.1.1 but sadly the problem still occurred. Could it be that my graphics card or motherboard is broken?

0 Kudos
amdmatt
Community Manager
Community Manager

Can you try disabling the screensaver and monitor sleep just to make sure they are not causing the issue?

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_1.png

The next step would be to try an older Catalyst driver, such as 15.11.1 Beta.

0 Kudos
ezracanare
Adept I

My screensaver and monitor sleep have been disabled before I encountered the problem again. I've tried my other games but they didn't cause my screen to go blank. Maybe the problem is in DotA 2? I'll try and contact Steam/Valve about it.

amdmatt
Community Manager
Community Manager

As it only occurs on that game it could well be a specific game issue, rather than a fault with your machine.

0 Kudos