cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

analog-x64
Journeyman III

Screen goes black when new GPU driver is available, I have to power off PC to recover. (R9 380 Series)

I've searched this issue but never found a solution for this problem. 

My Wife has a Radeon R9 380 series card, when there is a new driver available, its like the GPU is in sleep mode and wont wakeup.  The only way to recover is to press and hold the power button on the computer to force a power off and power back on to recover.

This happens everytime there is a new driver available without fail.

This problem followed the card.

I upgraded her computer by moving the GPU from a Windows 7 PC  to a new Windows 10 PC.

The problem followed the GPU so I cant blame it on the O/S or Computer.

So the only thing I can think of is the software for this GPU.

Radeon Software Version 19.1.1

Radeon Software Version: Adrenalin 2019

0 Likes
2 Replies
shadow07
Adept III

Reset your PC...

1.TURN OFF

2.FLIP THE  SWITCH OF THE PSU BACK OF YOUR COMPUTER

3.UNPLUG THE POWER CABLE FROM BACK OF YOU COMPUTER

4.HOLD THE PWR BUTTON FOR 15 SEC

5.OPEN THE CASE AND REMOVE CMOS BATTERY FOR 30 MINS

6.INSERT THE CMOS BATTERY

7.TURN ON YOUR PC AND LOAD DEFAULT IN THE BIOS

8.NOW UNINSTALL AMD DRIVER WITH DDU AND MAKE SURE YOUR INTERNET IS DISABLE OR NETWORK CARD UNPLUGED

9.INSTALL NEW DRIVER

10.SEE PROBLEM EXITS

0 Likes
waltc
Miniboss

Remember to set "sleep" mode to "never"  through the "Power Options" shortcut in Windows 10. The option for this will say "Put the computer to sleep"--you set it to "Never."  Above it you will see "Turn off the display"--I have mine to turn off every 10 minutes--if there is no keyboard/mouse activity (set it how you like it.)  The GPU will stay awake, but your monitor will blank itself and go dark into low-power mode.  The monitor will awaken if you move the mouse.  In this scenario the GPU never sleeps.   

0 Likes