cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

HarryPoker
Journeyman III

Screen freeze turns to black screen and recovers

So today I was sharing my screen on Zoom when unexpectedly it turned to black screen. The right monitor (RX 570) recovered with a Radeon Software error message that my drivers crashed, the left one (Intel HD 4600) stayed black, after that I've noticed that my drivers were one version out of date, so I've updated them to 21.3.1, I had to restart my computer. When it boot up and I logged on to windows the right screen turned black and started flickering, I've unplugged my GPU from the monitor plugged it in again causing to have no signal on the monitor, I had to shut down my pc by holding power button. After that everything was working as normal. Few hours later my right screen froze turned to black screen and recovered with the same Radeon Software error message. The same thing happened 3 more times in 1 minute span. I've checked Event Viewer and found 5 warnings: (Display driver amdkmdag stopped responding and has successfully recovered). Never in these past months when I bought this GPU or before I've had these problems it occurred only today. I've got the idea that my 5 year old PSU might be dying but don't know how to check its health. 

My PC specs:
PSU: VS450
GPU: RX 570 (refurbished, bought it a few months ago from online store)
my old GPU: GTX 750TI (Not in use)
CPU: i5-4460
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-D3H
HDD: Seagate BARRACUDA 7200 1TB
SSD: Crucial MX500 250GB

Also I don't know if its connected or not but I've noticed after these crashes that Steam logged me out and somehow Dota 2 was deleted from my Hard Drive.

0 Likes
8 Replies
TTech
Journeyman III

Same issue on AMD integrated graphics for me. I just got a ROG laptop with a 5900hs and 3060m, If I run Zoom and a HDMI screen attached and USB camera, the AMD driver will crash. Wiped laptop (and partitions) and started over, same crashes. Only fix for me so far is to force Zoom to only use "Nvidia" in the Nvidia control panel, "Integrated graphics" crash for me in Zoom.

Thanks, I tried to use Nvidia and it's helped.

0 Likes

Thank you so much for stating your solution, it fixed it for me as well! I just got this new Asus laptop with AMD Ryzen 7 5800H/1TB SSD/16GB RAM/RTX 3060 and was having the same issue when using a second monitor with Zoom and Word open. Both screens would go black for 5-10 seconds before both coming back online, while also resetting Night Mode back to normal. It would usually do this once per class, around the beginning. Changing it to NVIDIA from AMD using the NVIDIA control panel stopped this from happening in class today. Phew, because I was about to return the laptop.

Thanks again!

0 Likes
TTech
Journeyman III

Duplicate.

0 Likes
Matt_Conn
Journeyman III

I have a very similar issue yet it isn't limited to zoom, it happens randomly, both monitors go black and one recovers, yet the message I get is "driver timed out", happens at least once a day.  Only started happening recently...

RX580 (as I still cannot get a 6800 xt)

X570, 32gb ram, 5600x, 1000w psu

The monitor it happens to is a Samsung G7, on a side note, sometimes the monitor will not be detected at boot and I have to turn it off and on again, doesn't happen on my older system.

0 Likes

Seems like my crashing stopped without actually taking any actions. It might have been driver problem, because after those follow-up crashes I had bunch of Windows updates and after that everything is fine.

0 Likes
Matt_Conn
Journeyman III

Sorry, it posted twice...  Removed...

0 Likes
Matt_Conn
Journeyman III

Just happened to me again, two windows this time.

1, Application crash detected - The application has crashed and will no close. We apologize for the inconvenience.

2, AMD Bud Reporting Tool - We detected a driver timeout has occurred on your system. A bug report has been generated and could help AMD find a solution.  Would you like to report this issue?

I have been sending each crash report so fingers crossed...

0 Likes