cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

CardTommy22
Adept I

Screen freeze temporarily- "Display driver (amdwddmg) stopped responding and has recovered"

Since some time I have the following Problem:

Suddenly the screen freezes for 3-5 seconds, then it becomes black for 1-2 seconds and then the error messages
"We have detected that your system has experienced a driver timeout. a bug report was created. This report can help AMD find a solution......." (here translated from German)
shows up. Sometimes the screen stays black and the computer has to be made powerless. No shutdown with the power switch was possible.

I even removed the AMD Radeon Adrenalin software and only used Win10 onboard drivers (latest realse) to see if the problem will dissapear. It did not.
The win10 event report shows the message:
"The amdwddmg display driver has stopped responding and has been restored"

Hint: Mostly the problem shows up, if I start a video in Amazon Prime. Does not matter if I use Firefox or MD Edge. But it is not always showing up.

Bios and all board drivers are on latest release.

Can anybody help me?

Hardware:
ASUS B550 board
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 CPU
2x 16GB G.Skill Aegis DDR4-3200 DIMM CL16
SAPPHIRE PULSE Radeon RX 550 4GB GDDR5
SSD M.2 Kingston SA2000M8 1000G  (Win 10)
HDD WDC 2TB  (User data)

0 Likes
7 Replies
CardTommy22
Adept I

Has nobody an idea here?

Have updated all drivers again. Also latest AMD Adrenalin driver. Also checked temperature and fan on full GPU load. Everything ok.

0 Likes

Thanks for the hint.
OMG, this does not look like an easy solution - patching registry.

The PC is quite new. Did not have this problem before on this machine. Almost no software on it. I need it only for Amazon Prime and other video streaming. It has all the latest hard- and software drivers. From AMD BIOS over the AMD Board drivers to AMD graphic card driver. No special Win10 configurations. just the plane system running Firefox for streaming. Hard to image I am the only one with that problem.

0 Likes

If it was 2017 still that might help, unfortunately Windows hasn't given good drivers since 21.4

0 Likes

https://www.epinionated.net/fix-display-driver-stopped-responding-windows-10/

Thanks will try this.

Before I will try it there is someting I noticed. If I remove the hook in Firefox under Settings, Uses Hardware Excelleration if available. So no hardware excelleration is used, I do not the the error message again (until now). Does this disables the grafic card excelleration? Means, the mail CPU has to deal with all in Firefox now?

0 Likes

Hello, I have the same bug and I tried to disable display acceleration on Firefox (This is the 99% source of bug for me) and I hope it's the solution at the moment, but I wil prefer AMD fix that !

And for U it's ok when U tun off this functionality ?

Sorry for my english level, I'm french and need to improve my language ^^

0 Likes