cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Sapphire Trixx on AMD Fiji cards (R9 Fury X, R9 Fury, R9 Nano).

Sapphire Trixx on AMD Fiji cards (R9 Fury X, R9 Fury, R9 Nano).

I have been running 3D Mark Benchmarking on the following system.

System Information:
CPU:                 Ryzen 2700X

Motherboard:    ASUS ROG Crosshair Hero VII WIFI 
Motherboard BIOS: 2901
RAM:                        64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro at 3200MHz.
GPU1:                      R9 Fury X
GPU2:                      R9 Fury X
GPU3:                      R9 Fury X
GPU4:                      R9 Fury X
PSU:                        CORSAIR AX1600i

OS:                          Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 1903 (OS Build 18362.418).           

I have tested the behavior of the following Sapphire Trixx versions:
Sapphire Trixx v5.2.1
Sapphire Trixx v6.5.0

I document Sapphire Trixx  Memory Overclocking behavior with the following specific AMD Drivers:
AMD Crimson ReLive 16.12.2
AMD Adrenalin 2019 version 19.11.2.

I am opening a support case with Sapphire, so please do not lock this thread.

0 Likes
16 Replies

I concentrate on examples using the single primary R9 Fury X, with Crossfire switched off.
Reason = AMD Adrenalin 2019 drivers do not work properly with Triple or Quad R9 Fury X at all. They are unstable, and produce negative scaling. I have reported that in a separate post.

0 Likes

I can use:
Sapphire Trixx v5.2.1
pastedImage_57.png
or

Sapphire Trixx v6.5.0

pastedImage_58.png

to overclock the HBM memory frequency on AMD Fiji GPUs with AMD Crimson ReLive Driver 16.12.2
(https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-16-12-2 )

0 Likes

Here is an example of using Sapphire Trixx v5.2.1 to set a +10% memory frequency overclock (550MHz) on R9 Fury X using the AMD 16.12.2 Driver.
pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_2.png
pastedImage_3.png

The AMD Radeon Crimson ReLive 16.12.2 Driver Global Wattman plots the HBM memory frequency and it also registers the increased memory overclock from 500 to 550 MHz.

0 Likes

The applied memory overclock using the above driver is also shown in GPUz as shown here:

pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes

Here are some 3D Mark Benchmark Run comparisons showing the typical effect of +10% HBM overclock on single Primary R9 Fury X on the above system based on multiple benchmark test runs:

Fire Strike (1080p)

Result 

Fire Strike Extreme (2K)
Result 
Fire Strike Ultra (4K)
Result 
Time Spy (2K)
Result 

Time Spy Extreme
Result 

0 Likes

The above results show significant performance improvements based on 10% HBM memory overclock.
The benchmarks run fine.

No visual artifacting is seen.

The R9 Fury X reported temperatures are fine.

0 Likes

If I attempt to use Sapphire Trixx v5.2.1 to Sapphire Trixx v6.5.0 versions to overclock the HBM on AMD Fiji GPU using any Driver later than 16.12.2 up to the first version of Adrenalin 2019 I see the following behavior when I apply the HBM Memory Overclock using Sapphire Trixx:

pastedImage_1.png

Once the HBM memory overclock is applied using Sapphire Trixx the main GPU clock is downlocked to 300MHz and is stuck there.
The 3DMark Performance is completely wrecked, and very low FPS performance and scores are seen.

0 Likes

The above example showing 300MHz downclocking behavior was produced using the last version of AMD Adrenalin 18.12.1
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-18-12-1 

(ie before Adrenalin 2019 release)

0 Likes

I noted that since the Adrenalin 2019 Release
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-18-12-2

and up to Adrenalin 19.11.2 Driver that the GPU downclocking no longer happens.
In other words I can start Sapphire Trixx v5.2.1 to Sapphire Trixx v6.5.0 versions to apparently overclock the HBM on AMD Fiji GPUs.
I have no way to see if the AMD Adrenalin 2019 Driver applies that HBM overclock because Global Wattman no longer reports HBM frequency.
GPUz also reports the HBM overclock is applied.

0 Likes

However although it appears that the HBM overclock is applied according to Sapphire Trixx and GPUz reports, benchmark results using any Adrenalin 2019 driver I have tested up to 19.11.2 tell me a different story. Apparently "overclocking" the HBM memory buy 10% produces no effect. 
It looks like the AMD driver is still preventing HBM overclocking.

0 Likes

I have been attempting to produce the highest possible 3DMark Scorse I can with a Ryzen 2700X using AMD GPUs and I was hoping to submit those results to HWBOT.
Currently the best results possible in DX11 Crossfire are from using Triple or Quad R9 Fury X since Dual RX Vega Liquids cards are the most you can use in DX11 Crossfire and the Radeon VII and RX5700/XT do not support DX11 Crossfire at all.

0 Likes

I am opening a support case with Sapphire about this to see if they know why Trixx will not overclock HBM on R9 Fury X and if they can fix it.

0 Likes

I have been looking at the newever versions of Sapphire Trixx as well (TRIXX_installer_7_0_1).
It no longer supports any overclocking features on R9 Fury X - in this example the 550MHz HBM overclock was applied using Sapphire Trixx v5.2.1.
Here is a quick look at the latest version:

pastedImage_1.png

pastedImage_2.png

pastedImage_4.png

This version of Sapphire Trixx uses Trix Boost to create custom downscaled resolutions in Windows and then "upscaling" - for example stretching a 3296x1854 to full 4K. There is also an option to apply Radeon Image Sharpening from the Trixx interface if the AMD GPU supports it. 

One problem I have found is using these custome resolutions means the Radeon Overlay will not work.
I will give details about that in another thread.

0 Likes

Here is Adrenalin 19.11.2 with Sapphire Trixx Sapphire Trixx v5.2.1 apparently applied 550MHz memory overclock and GPUz report for the cards:

0 Likes

pastedImage_1.png

Although it looks like the 550MHz HBM overclock is applied, according to GPUz and Sapphire Trixx, the AMD driver is clearly not actually applying that overclock to HBM. Multiple 3DMark benchmark runs demonstrate no performance benefit at all with this "applied HBM Overclock" on Adrenalin 2019 Drvers. Although the GPU clock is no longer deliberatly downcloked to 300MHz it looks like HBM overclocking is still locked down since benchmark results are almost identical.
Still no explanation why this was ever done.
I see no problems with any of my Fiji GPUs if I use Sapphire Trixx to overclock the HBM on the 16.12.2 driver.
I file an AMD Reporting form pointing to this thread next.
Then I contact Sapphire Support.

0 Likes

AMD Reporting form filed and pointing to this thread:
pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes