Sapphire RX 480 temperature limit bug at 70*C

Describe your system:

• AMD Graphics Card
  • Sapphire RX 480 4GB Nitro
  • Desktop
  • Operating System
    • Windows 10 64bit
  • Driver version installed
    • Installed Radeon Software ReLive Edition 17.7.1, tested: 17.11.1, Adrenaline 18.1.1
  • Display Devices
    • IIyama x2483HSU-B1 "24" 1920x1080 (DVI)
  • Motherboard + Bios Revision
  • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 F7
  • CPU/APU
    • FX 6300
  • Power Supply Unit  Make, Model & Wattage
  • Thermaltake SMART SE Modular 630W
  • RAM
    • GoodRAM 2X4GB 1600MHz DDR3

I noticed that after install the newest drivers 18.1.1 Adrenaline my graphics card Sapphire RX 480 Nitro 4GB start throttling GPU core clock always when temperature reach 70*C. It's a small temperature for such an efficient card. I tried reinstall drivers to old one when all was fine, but without positive result. Before that card worked perfectly reaching the max 75*C at 2200rpm fans.

It's such annoying thing, because card losing the 30% of power.

RX 480 temp limit issue.PNG

There is a video which shows exactly what I mean:

YouTube

0 Likes
11 Replies

I suggest you adjust the power limit to +50...please read > AMD graphics performance

0 Likes

I can't understand why this happened. I played whole this time (about year) with 1330MHz at 1.15V even with max 80*C and I didn't experienced throttling on gpu. Power limit was always on 0%, had all time the default settings except little undervolt, TDP was always around 130W. Tried also reinstall Windows, because I didn't made about 2 years, but on fresh is the same issue

I'm really disappointed.

For now I just tested settings which you show on screenshoots and result is the same.

0 Likes

GPU temperature in the 70's Centigrade range is pretty normal operating temperature. Are you using MSI Afterburner to control your GPU card like in the Youtube video?

If you are, trying uninstalling MSI Afterburner after setting everything back to "Default". Use AMD Wattman strictly to control your GPU card and see if by any chance it make a difference.

In the past, AMD Forum has been suggesting to uninstall all 3rd party controlling software mainly because it has conflicts with AMD Wattman.

0 Likes

I tried it on fresh installed Windows where was only AMD driver, Wattman, GPU-Z, Unigine Valley Benchmark and problem is still there. I think if it maybe PSU problem.

0 Likes

And the results will remain the same until you reverse any and all changes you (or third party graphics controllers, Afterburner,Trixx,etc) have made.

Clean install the graphics driver again using DDU as shown > Clean Install AMD Graphics Drivers

Change the power limit to the max + value (usually +50).... "Apply"

Post a screenshot of your Wattman settings ?

0 Likes

You doesn't read my posts right?

0 Likes

Read every word

0 Likes
crispell
Journeyman III

It seems that's common problem.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/685169-rx480-gaming-x-target-temp-issue/

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/743885-rx-480-has-a-max-temperature-of-70c/

Unfortunatelly it's looks like I need to contact with warranty service.

0 Likes
chiken1232
Adept I

hi im from the future! i wonder if you fixed this issue i got the same issue :/

0 Likes
crispell
Journeyman III

Weird thing in it is that the reason of this issue was dry thermal paste. After re-apply new one card start working normal.
IMG_20190303_154052.jpg

Thank you

0 Likes