cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Narkeos
Journeyman III

Sapphire Pulse RX 6600 XT green screen crashes

Hello there. As stated in the subject field, I'm currently experiencing green screen crashes of the whole PC while gaming since I've got my new Sapphire Pulse RX 6600 XT video card one and a half months ago.

• AMD Graphics Card Make & Model:  Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 6600 XT Gaming OC 8GB, 8192 MB GDDR6
  • Desktop or Laptop System: Desktop
  • Operating System: Windows 10 64bit 21H1 OS Build 19043.1288
  • Driver version installed: Radeon Software Adrenaline 21.8.2 WHQL (minimal install IIRC, the setting between full and Drivers Only)
  • Display Make and model and connection/adapter in use, resolution, and refresh rate:
    • MSI MP242 1920x1080 @60Hz DisplayPort
    • Samsung S22B150 1920x1080 @60Hz Active VGA to HDMI adapter
  • CPU/APU Make and model number: Intel Core i5-6600 @3.30GHz
  • Motherboard Make & Model + Bios Revision: Asus Z-170K BIOS 3805
  • Power Supply Unit Make & Model + Wattage: Corsair CX850M, 80 Plus Bronze, 850 W semimodular
  • System Memory Make & Model + Frequency: Crucial Ballistix BL2K8G26C16U4W 2666 MHz, DDR4, 16GB (8GB x2), CL16

Like I have mentioned above, since replacing my old R9 290X that died in August and buying the 6600, I have been experiencing green screen crashes of the whole PC only while gaming. At seemingly random moments while playing, the computer would lock up and show a green screen, with no sound coming out of speakers, forcing a shutdown with the power button.

I have only played two games on my PC since I replaced my old video card, which are The Outer Worlds and Final Fantasy XIV Online, which both caused crashes. At first I thought it could have been an issue with The Outer Worlds, but when I experienced green screen crashes on FFXIV (which I played with two years without crashes on my old R9 290X), I realized the issue was on the video card side.

I've never experienced a green screen crash while doing anything else that wasn't playing a game in this month and a half:

• Regular browsing of the internet, including videos and streaming
  • Audio and video calls + streaming/screensharing on Discord
  • Using image manipulation software (GIMP)
  • Working using the LibreOffice Suite
  • Watching movies using VLC Player

Graphics settings for the games were high, but nothing was cranked to Ultra and the like. FFXIV settings were the same that my old card was running too.

As of today, I've tried pretty much any tip I could find online to try to fix these crashes: I have uninstalled my drivers in safe mode with Display Driver Uninstaller and reinstalled from scratch, I've updated my BIOS to the latest build available, I've updated Windows 10 to 21H1, I have changed the power settings, etc. Nothing worked.

I'm starting to get tired. If I can't fix this, I'm gonna try to return the card, because it's driving me insane.

-Andrew

0 Likes
12 Replies
Narkeos
Journeyman III

Update: I noticed I wrote the monitor section wrong: the MSI monitor is plugged with straight HDMI and the Samsung monitor uses a DisplayPort adapter.

Also, today I reseated the video card on a suggestion by a reddit user and did another wipe with DDU + activated the setting that stops windows from automatically downloading drivers. I'll get back to you if I see another green screen.

0 Likes

It seems like you found the solution yourself that I was about so suggest.....
Preventing Windows update from automatically downloading and overwriting your AMD drivers is the key....

0 Likes

Update: I have kept 16 hours of uptime on FFXIV over Monday and Tuesday, split between idling in the background and playing. As of now there have been no crashes. I'm gonna plug in the second monitor today in order to see if it crashes due to the VGA/DP adapter.

0 Likes

Update: the PC crashed after less than 2 hours of idle gameplay after I plugged in the monitor with the VGA/DP adapter. I think I finally found the culprit, **bleep**.

The only way to test it is to get a new DP monitor with a decent cable, though...

0 Likes

@Narkeos you can not run/idling your game in the background while using dual monitor... you have to choose one of them and disable the other while you have the game running....

0 Likes

Update: tried plugging in the second monitor to the integrated graphics of the mobo via VGA and it still crashed At this point I'm starting to think the issue here is the old VGA monitor is getting faulty...

screen.png

0 Likes

@Dennis_MenaceI could play the games on dual monitor just fine with my old R9 290X, which is a 2015 card, so I don't see how a 2021 card can't do that.

0 Likes

Hi,

have you found a solution for this? I also experience the same issue with my XFX RX 6600 XT. When I play Rocket League it's fine but when I play Battlefield 2042, it takes around 10 minutes for the whole screen to turn green. I also have dual monitor. Also I have an old XFX R9 390 that works fine for seven years already.

0 Likes

I replaced my monitor and wasn't having issues for a while, but it still popped every now and then (speaking every 40-50 days or so).

It just happened twice again today as I was playing Elden Ring, despite playing it just fine on Saturday and yesterday. I'm so **bleep**ing pissed off right now.

0 Likes

Hey body. I have some problem. if u find what hapen pleaser tell me

0 Likes

Hello, Did you find out what was the problem?

0 Likes
FrankDaFckingTank
Journeyman III

I got something with an 6900

0 Likes