cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Saphire Pulse RX 6600 instability under Kubuntu 22.04 LTS

Hi,

I'm experiencing instability, when the GPU stutters and then crashes after a few seconds after login, unless I start glxgears right away, or a game or something. The GPU is useable with glxgear running in the background, or alternatively by starting Kubuntu on recovery mode, where the amdgpu drivers are not used. However, recovery mode doesn't have hardware acceleration, naturally, and the screen goes blank for short periods of time when I attempt to use it.

Is anyone experiencing this issue? This seems to be related with PCIe power states, where the GPU can't go to lower power mode. The system won't recover as well if I get it to hibernate. Perhaps, this is not a hardware issue, but a driver issue? Or else I have a faulty board? Any ideas?

My specs:

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z97P-D3, rev 1.1 (latest stable F8 firmware)

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K

Memory: 32 GB DDR

GPU: Saphire Pulse RX 6600 8 GB 1x HDMI 3x DP

OS: Kubuntu 22.04 LTS (upgraded from previous LTS), kernel 5.15.0-52-generic (64-bit)

Kind regards, Samuel Lourenço

0 Likes
1 Solution

Finally solved this issue by installing Kubuntu 22.04 LTS from the CD, with the GPU already installed. No more black screen issues, and I can send the computer to suspend and it will recover as it should.

Long story short, I previously upgraded from Kubuntu 20.04 LTS, which had no support for this GPU (seemingly), from a point where I've been using a GTX 1050 Ti. My decision to drop the 1050 had to do with the fact that nVidia had not prepared drivers for the 22.04.

However, my system was such a mess to the point where I couldn't update the kernel, or else I wouldn't be able to boot. I've concluded that the sources were not all there. Probably messed up the sources by trying to use different repositories, so the amdgpu modules wouldn't compile.

Now it works flawlessly. So, for anyone having this kind of issues, it is probably best to install the new OS version from scratch (and not from upgrade). Also, only use the recommended amdgpu drivers for your distribution. Avoid looking to use the advanced AMD drivers from AMD, even if AMD recomends them. They will probably mess up your system.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
2 Replies

Finally solved this issue by installing Kubuntu 22.04 LTS from the CD, with the GPU already installed. No more black screen issues, and I can send the computer to suspend and it will recover as it should.

Long story short, I previously upgraded from Kubuntu 20.04 LTS, which had no support for this GPU (seemingly), from a point where I've been using a GTX 1050 Ti. My decision to drop the 1050 had to do with the fact that nVidia had not prepared drivers for the 22.04.

However, my system was such a mess to the point where I couldn't update the kernel, or else I wouldn't be able to boot. I've concluded that the sources were not all there. Probably messed up the sources by trying to use different repositories, so the amdgpu modules wouldn't compile.

Now it works flawlessly. So, for anyone having this kind of issues, it is probably best to install the new OS version from scratch (and not from upgrade). Also, only use the recommended amdgpu drivers for your distribution. Avoid looking to use the advanced AMD drivers from AMD, even if AMD recomends them. They will probably mess up your system.

0 Likes

To add, the GPU runs more optimized now. At least, the junction temperature doesn't reach as high when running certain games, and the FPS count was not harmed. Probably, the corrupt driver was not implementing power gating.

0 Likes