cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

bandwiches
Adept I

Ryzen Master VBS Error

Recently installed a new Ryzen 9 3900X CPU and discovered there is some good software for it, but unfortunately not for my environment.  I am receiving the attached error image trying to launch Ryzen Master.  I cannot turn off Virtualization due to other dependencies (primarily Docker).  How can I proceed to use both Docker & Ryzen Master without modifying my BIOS settings?

pastedImage_1.png

7 Replies

Check to see if you have Windows Hyper-X enabled. This will prevent Ryzen Master from installing. There is a huge thread about this here at AMD Forums: AMD Ryzen Master 1.3.0.618 VBS Error 

The latest version of Windows has the new feature SANDBOX which, I believe, uses VBS also. So you need to also disable both Hyper-X and Sandbox in Windows Settings.

If you need Hyper-X enabled for your computing then you have a choice, Disable Hyper-X and install a working Ryzen Master or Enable Hyper-X and skip Ryzen Master and use some other monitoring software to monitor your CPU.

Are you an official AMD spokesperson?

VBS is clearly enabled for Docker, that is stated in my post. I have seen the thread you linked, you can also find a comment from me there.  That thread is marked as, "Assumed Answered" but there is no real answer to be found.  Disabling VBS is not an option (stated that in my post).

We all paid good money for the hardware, we expect to be able to use the software alongside any other software.  This is a bug, it needs attention, and it needs fixed.

No, A User like yourself.

IF you were aware of the above AMD thread concerning VBS and Ryzen Master and even replied there  then why open a thread when you already know the answer.

I don't believe it is a bug since Ryzen Master program clearly states it won't install with VBS enabled in the software itself.  It has to do with new changes to Windows OS that made Ryzen Master incompatible. 

Plus I was well aware that you needed VBS enabled for Docket to work.

0 Likes

Because it was only assumed answered and not actually answered, I wanted an actual answer.

You had me there with the VBS warning that I could not, but I did manage to finally find the one sentence in some randomly named documentation - so yes, not a bug, however it doesn't play nice and should still be addressed rather than left up to the community for people to hack their registries or even hex edit the program file - that's worse in my opinion.

If you were aware of that, then you should also know that your responses were a little off-base because of that.

You did manage to get my brain churning so I started looking into the possible issues of removing SVM and running Docker without Hyper-V or SVM.  Turns out, this is actually possible but not natively.  Before doing that I started from scratch:

ScenarioSettingsResult
Scenario 1
  • SVM Disabed
  • Hyper-V Disabled
  • Docker Uninstalled

pastedImage_1.png

So even with Hyper-V Disabled, Docker Uninstalled, and SVM disabled in BIOS we still fail, but with a new error.  That led me here.  I tested out the regedit modification by deleting the said version folder.

ScenarioSettingsResult
Scenario 2
  • SVM Disabed
  • Hyper-V Disabled
  • Docker Uninstalled
  • Regedit Entry Deleted

pastedImage_1.png

Rebooted, same results.  Further down on the same link above, you'll see a reference to NZXT CAM causing issues.  This applies to me since I run that service.  Just to make sure, I turned off all my hardware monitoring software.

ScenarioSettingsResult
Scenario 3
  • SVM Disabed
  • Hyper-V Disabled
  • Docker Uninstalled
  • Regedit Entry Deleted
  • Rebooted
  • NZXT CAM Disabled
  • EVGA Precision X1 Disabled

pastedImage_1.png

This basically tells me that AMD Ryzen Master does not like to play nice.  There is likely some Asus service running that's conflicting with Ryzen Master, I just haven't figured out which one yet.  Asus is practically the same but on the opposite end of the spectrum with the bloatware and lax security posture.

Docker

If you're curious about running Docker without Hyper-V or SVM enabled, google it.  It's as simple as running a powershell script and walking away.  I did it this morning in a matter of 5 minutes and I prefer this method to Hyper-V.

fotisgpap
Journeyman III

I used this tool to make Ryzen Master work with Hyper-V installed

https://github.com/klauspost/ryzen-master-vbs-patch

Thank you for linking this.  I had Ryzen Master working in less than five minutes without changing any of my setup.  Huge props to Klaus Post!

maurosimoes78
Journeyman III

I tried to install this so called "patch" using their binaries. The bad notice is that the executable file (directly extracted from the zip) seemed to have virus inside. At least it was the message prompted by McAfee Anti-virus service.

0 Likes