cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Tjamz
Journeyman III

Ryzen 7 5800x and MSI MAG x570 Tomahawk black screen issue

Hello AMD community! When I try to boot into my new build, I am faced with a completely black screen just after the bios screen. The black screen can last anywhere between ten seconds to fifteen minutes after which the pc will boot into windows just fine. Once I’m in the os, the system is stable. Can run Dark Souls 3 at 2k and Cinebench 20 without a hitch. The black screen will return however whenever the PC is put to sleep or restarted. Also, on restart the BIOS screen will often not load, and the PC will go straight to the black screen. After many hours of troubleshooting, I discovered that the issue seems to be linked to the presence of an NVIDIA video driver. The problem goes away when I disconnect from the internet, use ddu to completely wipe the video drivers, and revert to the default windows display driver. However, upon reconnection to the network, NVIDIA’s driver is automatically downloaded and installed and the issue returns. I really don’t want to use a workaround that involves using the default display drivers. Also, since the system seems to be fine when in the os, I don’t know which component or components to replace. Considering going to intel after this experience. Can anyone recommend a solution? Thanks in advance!

System Components:

CPU:        Ryzen 7 5800x

MB:        MSI MAG x570 Tomahawk

RAM:        G.Skill Ripjaws V 3600

SSD:        Samsung 980 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2, 500 GB

GPU:         ASUS Geforce GTX 1070 Turbo

PSU:         Corsair HX750i

CPU Cooler:     Noctua NH-D15S

Steps I have taken to resolve the issue:

1. I Flashed the motherboard. I have tried the 3 latest versions of the bios: 7C84v153(Beta version), 7C84v14, 7C84v13. I have tried flashing with and without the CPU, this makes no difference. Version 7C84v13 seems to be the most stable but I have had decent luck with 7C84v153 as well.
  2. Installed different NVIDIA driver versions. I have tried 3 or 4 of the latest nvidia drivers. No difference on any of them. Maybe I can find a good one down the line somewhere but I haven’t chased this rabbit too far.
  3. Messing with OC settings. A thread on the MSI board led me to believe that x570 mb’s have issues with ‘auto’ voltage. I have attempted using the following settings (which resulted in a great cinebench score but no help on the black screen) I am a total noob when it comes to overclocking so there may be a solution here but I haven’t found it

-Global c states DISABLE

-CPU multiplier 42

-Vcore OVERRIDE 1.25 volts

-Vsoc OVERRIDE 1.0 volts

-Load like calibration MODE 6

-Cpb and pbo DISABLE

-XMP ON profile 2 (3600 mhz/ IF 1800 mhz)

Link to MSI thread: https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?threads/x570-tomahawk-wifi-ryzen-7-5800x-workaround.353089/

1. Installing the GPU in the other PCIe slot. No difference. I also tried reseating the gpu
  2. Removing and swapping ram sticks

I’m really hoping someone can help me out as my CPU is past the return period. I don’t know whether buying a new MB will make a difference. My buddy is coming over tomorrow with the graphics card from his computer (unfortunately also a 1070) and a couple different sticks of ram to help isolate the issue. I’ll update this thread if I discover anything new.

0 Likes
2 Replies
Tjamz
Journeyman III

I have found the solution! It was incredibly simple. My hdmi switch was causing the issue. Apperently there is an "hdmi handshake" needs to happen between the gfx card and monitor. Devices like my switch can interfere. Achieved stability by plugging the monitor directly into the computer.

0 Likes

Hi.  Do you mean plugging directly into the graphics card ? As I have same issue?   Thanks 👍

0 Likes