cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

l3m35
Adept I

Ryzen 5 3400g + asus b450m - is this set incompatible with Windows 10?

I' m very tired of trying to make this setup work with Windows 10. Most of times I can't even install it - screen freezes forcing a reset. When I got to make it work, it freezes all the time or throw random bsod.

If I'm on Linux or Windows 8, everything runs smoothly. Any Idea?

What I already tried:

• Bios updated to last version
  • No OC 
  • All peripherals removed except by keyboard, mouse and Dvd drive
  • Clean install 
  • In-place install over Windows 8
  • Memory tested with memtest86, zero errors 
  • Different hard drives 

Full setup:

• Ryzen 5 3400g
  • Asus Prime B450M Gaming/BR
  • RAM Juhor DDR4 3200 1.35
  • HDD Toshiba P300 1 Tb
  • Corsair CX430
0 Likes
1 Solution

For those having problems with Ryzen + Asus + Windows 10 updates, I will leave my "solution" here. I was almost giving up and selling everything when I decided to reduce the CPU clock from 3.7 to 3.5 and bingo. Windows 20h2 installed without freezing and working well (so far).

I know it's not a real solution (if the CPU is 3.7 Ghz, it should work at 3.7), but better than a useless machine. I just hope Windows 21h1 is not so problematic to update...

View solution in original post

12 Replies

I would update your Motherboard to the latest NON-BIOS version and see if it works: https://community.amd.com/t5/forums/replypage/board-id/drivers-and-software-discussions/message-id/1...

Screenshot 2021-03-24 172051.png

Also make sure you update to the latest Windows 10 AMD CHIPSET from the same link above.

Also make sure that Windows 10 is fully updated via Windows Update.

After all that download the latest APU AMD Driver for your processor from Asus:

If you still are getting freezes when install the AMD driver then it is possible you have some Driver or hardware that is incompatible in your PC.

Make sure to use DDU in Safe Mode (Best method) or on the Desktop with the internet disconnected and deleting AMD Installation folder at C:\AMD.

Once DDU reboots back into the Windows desktop, run the full Asus AMD Driver package and see if it install successfully. If it does then again delete the AMD installation folder at C:\AMD and reconnect the Internet.

Thank you for the answer. 

I'm using BIOS 3002 (by the way, tried to revert at some point thinking it could be part of the problem and it's impossible, so people be warned about it).

At this moment, I'm typing from the machine, Windows 10 build 1809 seems to be the only working. The HDD was formatted and  Windows installed in legacy mode (later converted to UEFI since I use dual boot with Linux).

First attempt to let it update and another freezing soon as the process started, really weird. I had to turn system off and another crash when Windows was reverting (worked at a second attempt). Now seems to be stable. No AMD drivers installed yet, I'm waiting for Windows Update to download again to see what happens.

0 Likes

Okay one problem could be is that you are using a previous version of Windows (1809)  instead of at least version 2004.

Try updating to version 2004 and see if everything installs correctly.

I also have a Asus Motherboard (X570) and once I updated to BIOS version 3002 I couldn't downgrade it either. But it is working without any noticeable issues.

Ok, it keeps freezing and reverting after a while but a lot of updates were installed and no crashes/freezing when using, at least. Two specific updates with problem, including "Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. - Display - 27.20.1034.6". The other is Windows resources 1909.

Seems like Windows 10 kind of doesn't like Ryzen too much, there is a lot of topics with similar issues... I'm not sure if I should try to install AMD drivers first or push the 2004 update over it.

'Fast Startup' (windows power options) was/is/has been known to cause issues with dual boot OS and windows updates.

Ryzen 5 5600x, B550 aorus pro ac, Hyper 212 black, 2 x 16gb F4-3600c16dgtzn kit, Aorus gen4 1tb, Nitro+RX6900XT, RM850, Win.10 Pro., LC27G55T..
0 Likes

Not in dual boot at the moment, just Windows disk trying hard to update this thing. I've just tried the 20h2 version, two times. No way. First time: freeze at 3%, three or four resets to roll back (since it was freezing even while reverting)

Then I start it again in Safe Mode, DDU to remove graphic drivers (I'm almost sure it's something with the AMD graphic driver since it's returning errors 0xc1900101 and 0x2c000c), new attempt. Result: freeze at 7%, same message "The installation failed in the safe_os phase with an error during apply_image operation)"

Well, maybe I should give up and stay with 1809 version forever, I guess

0 Likes

For those having problems with Ryzen + Asus + Windows 10 updates, I will leave my "solution" here. I was almost giving up and selling everything when I decided to reduce the CPU clock from 3.7 to 3.5 and bingo. Windows 20h2 installed without freezing and working well (so far).

I know it's not a real solution (if the CPU is 3.7 Ghz, it should work at 3.7), but better than a useless machine. I just hope Windows 21h1 is not so problematic to update...

Your RAM Memory is listed as being compatible for both the CPU and Motherboard, correct?

I suggest you open a AMD Service Request - Warranty (https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form) and see if they feel you processor may be defective and needs to be RMAed.  You shouldn't need to downgrade the CPU's speed to be able to install Windows or any other software.

Anyway see what AMD suggests.

NOTE: If your computer is now working normally and Windows installs without issue then please mark you last reply as "Solution" so other Users will see you needed to do to get the computer working again.

@elstaci wrote:

Your RAM Memory is listed as being compatible for both the CPU and Motherboard, correct?

I don't think so. It's a Chinese kind of generic memory, but CAS and specifications are according to other model from the QVL.

I suggest you open a AMD Service Request - Warranty (https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form) and see if they feel you processor may be defective and needs to be RMAed.  You shouldn't need to downgrade the CPU's speed to be able to install Windows or any other software.

Bad luck if that's the case since I bought it second hand and returning limit is over... Better be a RAM issue.

0 Likes

Yes, AMD Warranty isn't transferable to a second or more owners.

Good chance it is probably your RAM Memory causing the issue or one of the reason anyways. Ryzen are pretty sensitive to the type of RAM Installed. 

Even though the RAM may have all the same type of specs doesn't mean it is compatible or not to both the Ryzen and Motherboard.

Thus the issues you are having installing Windows. If the RAM is not fully compatible it could cause that issue. 

That is why Motherboards have QVL List and RAM Manufacturers have apps to show what RAM is compatible with a particular Motherboard.

If you get Compatible RAM Memory from the QVL List or from the RAM Manufacturer and still has the same problem then it is a good chance it might be the APU.

Anyways, the point is moot for the time being since you got it to work so far. But I do suggest your replace your RAM Memory if it is within your budget. 

I purchased from Amazon 2x32GB G-Skill Trident-Z Neo for about $180.00 with 3600Mhz speed. But you will need to check your Motherboard's QVL list to see which RAM is compatible with your APU and Motherboard.

Good luck!

I was checking AMD's RMA and they don't say anything about first vendor invoice or something, so I sent an RMA request explaining the problem, who knows? The worst that can happen is they giving me  a hard no Later I update here if they accepted it or not.

Thanks for your suggestions, really appreciated. 

0 Likes

For a minute there I though AMD has changed their Warranty Terms but then found what I was looking for:  https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/warranty-information/rma-03

So you will most likely get refused for AMD Warranty. But, AMD has made errors in the past, maybe they will accept yours by mistake.

0 Likes