cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

number31
Journeyman III

Ryzen 5 2500U preventing proper shutdown in Lenovo Yoga 530 (Laptop Convertible)

• Hardware
    • Laptop Model: Lenovo Yoga 530 14-ARR 
    • GPU: Integrated Vega 8 Mobile Graphics
    • CPU: Ryzen 5 2500U Mobile
    • Motherboard,
    • RAM: 4GB
  • Software:
    • Operating System, Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    • BIOS: LENOVO 8MCN50WW, 12/25/2018
    • Drivers:
      • Radeon Settings Version
      • Driver Packaging Version
        18.40.12.01-181120a-337559C-Lenovo

Hello

I'm currently posting the stable version of my driver. When I used the new update to Radeon Settings/Adrenalin for Mobile starting with version 19.2.3, I noticed my SSD did not shut down after I shut down the computer. If the display turned off (like if the lid was closed), it would not turn on again until I performed a hard reset by holding the power button. I have performed clean install (using DDU or AMD Cleanup in Safe mode) for 19.23, 19.31, and 19.32. I saw 19.41 just released today so I'm hopeful for updates for my system, but I don't want to update if it will force my computer to hard reset again.

Please help? I'm checking reddit and people with Ryzen laptops don't encounter this problem

Thank you!

number31

0 Likes
10 Replies

Have you disabled fast start..like so:

The Pros and Cons of Windows 10’s “Fast Startup” Mode 

Hi kingfish!

That option does not show up on my settings. See this screenshot:
pastedImage_1.png

I'm going to try that out when I take the time to troubleshoot this laptop again with the latest AMD Driver, if this power option does appear in that version, but so far I don't think Fast Startup is the culprit

-number31

0 Likes

How to Enable or Disable Fast Startup

Deciding whether to bother with Fast Startup actually takes longer than turning it on or off. First, open up your power options by hitting Windows+X or right-clicking your Start menu and selecting Power Options. In the Power Options window, click “Choose what the power buttons do.”

power options

If this is the first time you’ve messed with these settings, you’ll need click “Change settings that are currently unavailable” to make the Fast Startup option available for configuration.

available options

Scroll to the bottom of the window and you should see “Turn on fast startup (recommended),” along with other shutdown settings. Just use the check box to enable or disable Fast Startup. Save your changes and shut down your system to test it out.

fast startup

If you don’t see the option at all, it means hibernation is not enabled on your machine. In this case, the only shutdown options you’ll see are Sleep and Lock. The quickest way to enable hibernation is to close the power settings window and then hit Windows+X and open Command Prompt (Admin). At the Command Prompt, type the command:

powercfg /hibernate on

After turning hibernate on, run through the steps again and you should see both the Hibernate and Fast Startup options.

I've disabled all 3 of the options, none of which work. Currently attempting AMD's latest stable driver for this (19.5.2). Same problem, display does not want to turn on if it goes off and shutdown is very slow.

pastedImage_1.png

0 Likes

At Lenovo Support for your laptop there is a "Critical" Firmware update for the SSD that may solve your problem: Lenovo SSD and HDD Firmware Update Tool for Windows 10 (64-bit) - Notebook - US 

Also fairly new BIOS and AMD Graphics Driver: laptops and netbooks :: yoga series :: yoga 530 14arr Lenovo PC Support - US 

I've applied the latest BIOS for my computer pastedImage_1.png
Still a similar problem.

Applied the VGA Driver, the VGA UI Driver tries to install Catalyst which does not interface with Ryzen drivers.

The SSD and HDD firmware tool looks like it has missing files in it and could not be applied, reaching to Lenovo regarding that.
The default AMD VGA driver downgrades to 18.40, which works just about right on this machine.

0 Likes
kronik_0
Journeyman III

You might wanna try uninstalling the realtek audio driver with DDU(that would prevent it reinstalling itself back again at reboot). That driver caused this exact problem for me. model: 330s-15arr. Good luck!

0 Likes

No real difference, I've DDU'd it for Realtek only with the new better drivers, display still fails to open

0 Likes
azu
Journeyman III

Hi, I have the same model laptop model, except mine equipped with Ryzen 7 2700U and RX Vega 10 graphics, and also encounter the same problem since I used the Adrenalin Driver from AMD site. I have clean  uninstall the driver and install the driver available from the support website laptops and netbooks :: yoga series :: yoga 530 14arr :: 81h9 Lenovo PC Support - US it solves the shutdown issue but make the audio noisy (I think the Radeon driver from the lenovo website is corrupted on the audio driver files). After trying another way to restore the driver, I found the solution for this issue as follow:

1. Do a clean uninstall of Radeon driver using AMD Cleanup Utility from AMD Cleanup Utility | AMD 

2. After clean uninstall, do an driver update using Windows Update or Lenovo System Update (download from Lenovo System Update: Update Drivers, BIOS and Applications - US ), whichever you prefer. The update process will download and install the latest available Radeon Driver available from Lenovo.

3. After the updated driver installed, your laptop should shutdown normally and no problems with the audio.

Hope this help!

Since you've updated BIOS to 8MCN52WW, did you encounter the CPU clock throttle down to 0.40 GHz when the battery is less than 20%? I've suffered with this issue since updated the BIOS to 8MCN52WW from 8MCN50WW

0 Likes
number31
Journeyman III

The solution I found is really waiting for Lenovo to release its own set of drivers. They released an update on August 9 that updates my drivers to version 19.10. Still behind the current release (Stable AMD drivers are version 19.5.2, the test version is 19.8), but it made my games run MUCH faster. I don't experience the unresponsive display problems if I use this version. I'll probably just have to keep pushing them to catch up to AMD's release with Lenovo compatible drivers.

Thanks!

0 Likes