cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ryzen 2200g Various BSODs

I'm not quite sure what's going on here, but I'm looking for some info.
I built a 2200g computer and I've been having various issues like BSODs, Youtube being corrupted with Hardware Acceleration on, CEMU crashing, rainbow colors, and general system instability.
Some BSOD errors include Video_TDR_Failure, Critical Structure corruption, IRQL Not less or equal (Seems to happen with Gigabyte mobo software), and a few others.
Also, its impossible to find gpu clock. Radeon Settings says 201mhz, RM says 400, BIOS used to say 1000 and now says auto, and other software like HWinfo says random stuff like 800.
I'm using the latest version of Windows 10, and the newest gpu drivers are 17.7. Chrome sometimes displays "Oh Snap!" and the tab crashes.

Take a look at these links. I'm also having variations of the issues these people post:

2200g

Pixels going haywire - ryzen 3 2200g

https://www.reddit.com/r/AMDHelp/search?q=2200g&restrict_sr=on

Aida64 crashes when I test ram. No ram speed is stable, and changing SOC voltage doesn't help either.
Specs:
2200g @stock
GA-AB350 Gaming 3

CMK8GX4M2B3000C15

Integrated Vega 8 @whatever the REAL gpu clock is

Does anyone know what's going on here? Could someone help do some testing to figure out the issues? The system is amazing when it works, but the random crashes and things like that are annoying.

Message was edited by: Matt B

Edited title

1 Solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok, well, I've done everything here. I've found the issue and workarounds. Looking through other posts online, there is no definite fix for this, and some people are just luckier than others, so I'm sharing this here for anyone else who gets the same problems.

The problem here is with the GPU drivers. They haven't been fixed since the day these APUs came out. They cause BSODs, slow OpenGL performance, visual distortion, and full on crashes requiring shutdown via reset button or holding the power button.

Workarounds:
-The workaround for Youtube video distortion on Chrome is simple. Disable hardware acceleration in the settings. You'll immediately notice. No more black screen and refresh, no more jumping between the last two seconds, no more rainbows, and no more strange blurred gray boxes. All gone.

-For games, you have to change your fullscreen settings. If your game is in fullscreen and you get a black screen with random rainbow colors on the screen, then you need to change to WindowedFullscreen or Borderless. If that doesn't work, you'll have to play in Windowed and just maximize it. Every game seems to act differently. On my system, Fortnite HATES the windowed/borderless. I have to maximize a normal window. Portal, Defiance, VRChat, and many others will work on all options for me.

-As for the OpenGL, there's no fix. Your only option is to get an Nvidia GPU for that. CEMU gets capped at 20fps. Dolphin is capable of running 60fps games at more than 120fps on DX12, but can only reach 65-75 with OGL. Mario Galaxy drops frames with OpenGL, but is buttery smooth with DX12. For all games, try to switch your renderer to Vulcan or DX12 or even 11. If OpenGL is your only option, then you're simply out of luck with the 2200g.

-Try adding some extra voltage to ram, even if it appears fine in all tests. Not sure what happens here, but it makes the crashes less frequent sometimes. I can't get it stable at any voltage or any speeds, but I can at least get it slightly more stable.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you to everyone who helped me here. I'm really glad to be able to get help from a community of kind people like you.

I've now reduced the amount of BSODs and crashes from maybe 4 times a day to 0 or 1 very rarely.

If you have any other suggestions though, feel free to reply.

EDIT: My ram is more stable at 2933mhz than it is at 2133mhz... ...with no voltage increases. I've also learned that upping SOC voltage in the BIOS instead will lock it at 1v no matter what the offset is. Off to Gigabyte support I go!

View solution in original post

30 Replies