cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

ivucica
Journeyman III

RX6900XT connected over Thunderbolt3 not detected by Dec 8 2022 software installer for Windows 10

Hi,

I have an RX6900XT which is perfectly visible on the Macbook Pro 2016 under Windows. The 15" Macbook Pro already has a Radeon Pro 460. The RX6900XT connected over Thunderbolt3 manages to obtain the required PCIe resources by doing the usual disabling of one of the Thunderbolt controllers. The VID is 1002, and the PID is 73BF. It's an "Asus TUF Gaming Radeon RX6900XT OC Edition".

I can install Microsoft-provided drivers, and I can manually use the options in Device Manager to browse the path to the drivers from Dec 8 2022 WHQL Adrenaline bundle. This installs correctly. The 6900 is correctly used, and I have played games like Cyberpunk 2077 perfectly fine on the external display connected into the 6900 sitting in my enclosure, on the same machine, on the same Windows 10 install.

However, the actual installer claims "Error 173 - AMD Software install cannot proceed as no AMD graphics hardware has been detected in your system.".

Attempting to clean both sets of drivers (Apple-provided Radeon Pro 460 drivers and the 6900 drivers) using the AMDCleanupUtility does not help.

Attempting to disable the 460 in Device Manager, whether before or after using the cleanup utility (in order to mask away the existence of 460, to avoid any possible conflict in detection) does not help.

The installer I downloaded is the latest one available when I manually choose the RX6900XT GPU from the list of Windows 10 drivers: whql-amd-software-adrenalin-edition-22.11.2-win10-win11-dec8.exe

The behavior is the same with the Pro drivers: amd-software-pro-edition-22.q4-win10-win11-nov15

How does the detection of hardware work in the installer? How can I work around the detection, since I clearly do have modern, functioning hardware supported by the installer connected (games are playable with raytracing, appears as a PCI device in Device Manager, ...)? Is this a bug in the installer, and if so, what's the best way to assist the developers to triage my admittedly-slightly-arcane (but otherwise very functional) setup?

The hardware works perfectly fine on MacOS on the same machine over Thunderbolt, on Windows with drivers installed as described above, on Linux on a Mac Mini 2012 (over Thunderbolt 2, and without another discrete GPU because I did not manage to tweak the PCIe allocations on the MBP 2016).

0 Likes
0 Replies