cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

SLP
Journeyman III

RX6600 Problems on multi boot operating systems with Debian and Mint

I have a computer with four different operating systems in a daisy chain multi boot configuraiton using two different partitioned hard drives: Windows 10, Fedora (Design Suite), Debian Bullseye, and Mint 20.3.    After installing this graphic card XFX RX6600 I find only two of the four operating systems have a graphic display; Windows 10 and Fedora Design Suite 36.    The other two operating systems; Debian Bullseye and Mint 20.3 will not go into graphics mode and only have access from text command line using CTRL-ALT-(1,2,3,or 4).    I can log into my operating systems without any GUI and only perform text command operations.    I took out the graphic card and everything goes back to normal operation on all four operating systems having complete graphic functions.   I have gone through all the Debian packages that seem necessary to run a graphics display on Bullseye and Mint yet nothing seems to change the problem.    Anyone have any suggestions or answers to solve this problem and get back to full graphic displays on Debian and Mint.    Seems to me a .deb package problem or possibly something to do with the graphics card being unable to recognize the xOrg config for amdgpu or radeon ati.    The Fedora Design Suite works okay with full graphic display and no problems so I would assume that .rpm packages have solved this problem yet not quite sure where the root cause of this problem lies.

I am not a gamer, instead upgraded to improve at the use of Blender (3.0 and above use) hoping to get better performance than on integrated card or another GTX1030 Nvidia card.   A recent book that I purchased to get better at Blender use recommended a graphic card with 4GB.    Also hoped to see some improvements with regards to using digital painting programs.   When I ran the performance option upon opening the Corel Painter program a scan revealed there was no GPU compatibility.   This resulted in a lower performance score tally a bit yet still good.    Any help with using Blender and Painter with this card would also be most appreciated.   

Thank you for any time and consideration.

0 Likes
1 Reply
SLP
Journeyman III

I would also appreciate some assurance that the right setting is being used with the Bios Switch.    I have never used a graphic card with this bios switch before,  two settings; silent mode and performance Bios.    In the past I have used Radeon R5 220 PCIe cards and a Vision Tek Radeon 5450 PCIe card.     Never had this bios switch on those cards.

When I set my desktop to the silent mode none of the Linux operating systems will boot up, only Windows 10.    With the performance Bios I get Windows 10, and Fedora yet only command line text use for Debian Bullseye and Mint 20.3.

Again using Blender and the performance bios, while using the Windows 10 operating system under the Blender menu option of "Performance" and the "System" sub menu category my Radeon Graphics Card is listed under HIP.   I would assume this means compatibility with HIP, whatever that means since I have never seen this category appear in my ten years of practice use with Blender on different operating systems.    With Fedora I get a "No compatible GPUs found for Cycles, Requires NVIDIA GPU with compute Capability 3.0" message.    No HIP listing appears in Blender while using Fedora.

0 Likes