cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

agentoverton
Journeyman III

RX590 crashing on Ubuntu 20.04

Hi, new here! I've run out of other people's forum posts to help me figure out what's going on - seems I might be having a rare issue.

My current setup:

• X570 GAMING X motherboard
  • AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
  • Radeon RX590 8GB

This card's been giving me problems on Windows where it would intermittently crash - the screens would black out and recover within a few seconds, anything using video decoding (Netflix, MS Teams) would need to be restarted. That's an issue for another day though.

On Ubuntu 20.04.1, it usually crashes within anything from 5 to 15 minutes of use. The screens go "weird" - they basically look 8-bit, lose all color, and while I can move the mouse, I can't interact with anything. Ubuntu can sometimes kill and restart the desktop session, but then I usually have to reboot anyway since it can't find my sound hardware.

What can I do to further troubleshoot this? On Windows I was able to improve stability by updating the software and adjusting the fan temperature curve, but there's no similar control software for Ubuntu (that I know of). Are there logs I could check or other tools I could run?

0 Likes
0 Replies