cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

azure01
Adept I

RX580 thermal throttling at ~70c

Fresh install of windows 10 and newest set of drivers with no other OCing utility installed.

My computer had been sitting in a closet for the better part of a year and when i put it in there it would do everything i told it to (though I did use MSI afterburner to accomplish that). When I finally got it up and running i found that my SSD died so I had to do a fresh install of windows 10 and now it is giving me this bs problem.

I've also tried disabling ULPS and it did nothing.

What I don't understand is 1 why this problem even exists and 2 why the fan control through wattman is so atrocious. If AMD is going to make it so it doesn't play well with other OCing utilities then you better be damn sure to have a fully functioning utility yourself.

Last time I buy something from AMD's GPU department if I can't get this fixed.

Screenshot (8).pngScreenshot (7).png

0 Likes
14 Replies
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

Re: RX580 thermal throttling at ~70c

Download MSI Afterburner and use a custom fan profile with the fan set to 100% above 70C which should solve the thermal throttling fairly quickly.

0 Likes
azure01
Adept I

I would rather AMD fix their drivers and put the 580s tj max back to 85 degrees

hardcoregames_
Big Boss

I use MSI Afterburner widely with custom fan profiles so that cards are cooler than defaults allow

0 Likes
Hardwood
Paragon

Just so I got this straight. You're not looking for help, i.e. just ranting, because you know Afterburner is your cure. Right?

Like HCG above, I'm an Afterburner fan and I have been for several GPUs. OTOH, there's a lot of members here who have no issue with wattman so hang in there for alternate comments.

And FWIW, I just ran a couple benchies (Valley and Alien Vs Predator) and my ASUS 580 gets to 56c at 50% fan speed. Never seen it  higher.

hardcoregames_
Big Boss

I abuse my GTX 1060 with games are 4K and it remains cool.

I even tried my old GTX 750 which also did not melt down after I fixed the thermal material.

Gaming at 4K with mediocre video cards will definitely warm them up but no thermal throttling seen with the OSD

0 Likes
pokester
MVP

A lot of the thermal compounds harden quickly when the computers are not in use and can certainly explain why you had a change after non-usage. You can RMA the card or replace it yourself if you don't mind voiding your warranty.

0 Likes
hardcoregames_
Big Boss

EVGA has indicated that they will not void a warranty for a customer who elects to replace the thermal material. EVGA will even send new thermal pads of a customer wants them.

Not sure about the others. My GTX 750 was made by Gigabyte and it was well past expiration when I repaired it.

0 Likes
pokester
MVP

Thats nice but EVGA doesn't make AMD cards. Great if you have a nVidia card. I know there is at least one AMD maker that doesn't mind but can't remember which one. I know that XFX and Saphire don't let you do that for sure.

0 Likes
azure01
Adept I

My issue is my card doesn't draw more than ~130w even at +50% power limit. It seems to either be a case of the temp throttling the card or the card not drawing up to its 150W spec (Edit: the card is 185w not 150, point still stands though). As you can see I redownloaded (because I have used it before my fresh install) MSI afterburner and tried to get it to work through there with no luck. and yes the temp limit in afterburner is set higher than 75c.

Screenshot (12).pngScreenshot (13).png

Any way I look at it the drivers (for whatever reason) have crippled my card from what it used to do.

0 Likes