• Display Devices
    • Samsung CHG70 2560X1440 @ 144Hz DP
  • Motherboard + Bios Revision
    • Make and model; e.g. Asus P8P67 Deluxe Bios Version 6643
    • ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Bios Version 1201
  • CPU/APU
    • AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
  • Power Supply Unit Make, Model & Wattage
    • I don't recall the make but its a Cooler Master 1000W Gold Bronze that I have had for a few years now.
  • RAM
    • 16GB (2x8GB) @ 3600

Describe your issue:

The issue is fairly random as to when it will occur. Some days it won't happen at all and other days it will happen twice in fairly short succession, and normally after the second time it occurs it doesn't happen again the rest of the day. When the issue occurs I have to unplug the power from my monitor and then plug it back in to get it working again, I just recently got my monitor back from being serviced thinking it was an issue with the monitor but it still happens so it doesn't seem that was likely. The issue occurs in any application whether I am playing a game in fullscreen or borderless windowed mode or just browsing the web. I don't recall having this issue back in January or February so I am going to try rolling back to one of those and hope it fixes my issue until a driver gets released that fixes this.

Edit: Just had my system automatically reboot after getting a black screen. Windows has also updated since posting this originally so OS Build is now 18363.836.

Edit 5/30/20: Okay so last night on the 29th I turned on FreeSync after a good few days of no black screens or crashes since updating to 20.5.1 but after gaming for a bit with FreeSync on I got a black screen. Those continued into today even after turning FreeSync back off last night and uninstalling and reinstalling 20.5.1 earlier today.

Edit 6/21/2020: Just updated to the latest BIOS that ASUS released a few days ago for my Motherboard (Version 2010) which says it has improved DRAM stability. I will report back in a few days if it fixed my issue.

Edit 6/22/2020: Black screen issue continues.

Edit 2/29/2020: Ok so I seem to have found a "solution", its really more of a workaround, that at least works for me in preventing black screens. I simply never turn my monitor off. Something I eventually realized was that I would only get my usual 2-3 black screens back to back within a few minutes of each other sometime after turning my monitor back on but that after those 2-3 black screens had occurred I wouldn't have any more issues until the next time I turned if off and then back on again. So for the past 5 days I have just taken to never turning my monitor off and I have yet to get an more black screens. Of course because I am leaving my monitor on and it displays a static image on my lock screen I also have the screensaver turned on to minimize the risk of burn-in.

I don't expect this "solution" to work for everyone, just like most of the other solutions people have posted don't seem to work for everyone, but I did want to report that I have found something that "works" for me and that I will continue to use until a real solution can be found. If I remember I will try to update this post after each driver update about if that driver officially fixed the issue for me or if I have to continue using my "solution".

0 Likes
8 Replies
mickeekung
Challenger

Can you move your mouse while it black screen? Or it just freeze and can't do nothing?

0 Likes

I have never paid attention to where my mouse is before it goes black and where it is after I unplug the power and plug it back in. But I don't think its freezing when the screen goes black because as soon as I unplug the monitor power and plug it back it comes back as if their was never any issue.

0 Likes
tyrop
Adept I

I have a similar problem.  I get random black screens, the sound continues for a few seconds and I get a Windows arrow, and then the system reboots.  Its usually after 10 minutes to 30 minutes of the computer being idle.  I have had this computer for a month and this only started happening about a week ago. I scoured the internet for a solution and tried some suggestions.  

I have the following:

Ryzen 3900X

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge Plus WiFi

Sapphire RX 5700XT 

Gskill Trident Z 3600 memory

Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, Version 2004, Build 19041.264

Radeon Software Adrenalin Edition 20.4.2

3 monitors: 1 HDMI and 2 displayport

Power supply: Thermaltake G1 850 Watt.

I saw another post that said to manually change the frequency and voltage: Guide to lock GPU Clock for AMD NAVI Users (5600Xt, 5700, 5700xt) .  I tried this, and so far its been a few hours and no black screen.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed. 

0 Likes
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

https://www.amd.com/en/support/contact-email-form 

AMD driver causes problem when turn off the display feature in Windows power options is not turned off. You should definitely report this problem to AMD software engineers. I think this is probably because the AMD driver was not able to change WattMan settings or (re)configure  it again after the monitor was turned off. While reading your problem, I already understood the problem before reading edits. You should also disable fastboot feature with Windows power options.

0 Likes

I have the "turn off the display" option in my power plan to set to never, I have always had it set to that because normally I would always turn off my monitor when stepping away from my computer for an extended period of time. I have also tried all the suggestions people have posted in various threads about this issue including turning off fastboot and it made zero difference.

As for reporting the issue to AMD i have done that numerous times with both older drivers and the latest 20.5.1 (not the hardware scheduling beta version), I have actually reported it a couple of times with 20.5.1 and at least one of those times was after I got something in event viewer (which I don't normally get when this issue occurs).

0 Likes

I misunderstood your solution. Anyway... I thought that you solved your problem with power options.

0 Likes
tyrop
Adept I

I realize that my issue is a little different - in that I would get black screens and reboots when the computer was idle - about 2 per hour.  I can now report that I tried this fix two days ago, and so far, not one black screen.  .Guide to lock GPU Clock for AMD NAVI Users (5600Xt, 5700, 5700xt) 

I don't know if "locking the clock" is good or bad, but so far, it is working for me.  Not being that familiar with the Radeon software, I had a bit of trouble finding the screen with these settings, but if you would like to try it, and you cannot find the screen, let me know, and I will show you where it is.   I'm using Radeon 20.4.2 and my "Tuning" screen looks like this.  The only changes I made were to the frequency and the voltage so that the curve now looks like a rectangle.  I turned the left "Frequency" knob as high as it will go (which automatically turns the middle knob also), which makes if 50 mhz less than the middle knob, which is then 50 mhz less than the right knob.  I turned the left Voltage knob up to match the right Voltage knob so that all voltages are the same.  

Radeon capture.JPG

If you are changing the GPU voltage for stabilization, perhaps the PSU or the PCI slot cannot provide the required watts. Don't forget to apply stable settings with every driver update or every system crashes. Because WattMan settings are reset after system crashes and driver updates.

0 Likes