cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

RX480 random black screen crash

Hello all, i have had a pretty stable system for some time now :

Ryzen 2600. RX480 8GB GFX card. 16GB DDR4 ram on a AB350M board.

Bios P5.40.

Everything has been stable since day one.

But i bought rage 2 some time ago. And it ran fine. I still had the drivers with the old radeon settings program version 18 or 19. And it worked fine. Never had a random black screen issue.

I looked at the amd site and noticed there was a newer driver (20 something) promising performance enhancements and also the new radeon settings program.  I installed that driver and program. I noticed my performance dropped in half. But i also got a weird thing that i thought was related to rage 2. But it was not rage 2 as it turns out, that is the problem.  Anyway, i completely uninstalled the newer drivers and installed the older drivers again it was 18 or 19 something. I did not think to write that down because i though later on i screwed up my windows 10 home 1903 installation. But the strange thing is that ever since i installed that 20 version driver with the new radeon settings program, i ever since have had these gpu shutting down issues.What is also the case, is that the radeon settings program always seem to crash because all settings are reverted back to default every time the gpu shutting down to a black screen.

And every time only a hard reset helps.

Also, this random black screen may present itself on the login screen, during being completely idle, during browsing, during typing text in a text editor, while running a virtual machine. It is completely random. It may not present itself for days. And then suddenly it happens once every day for 2 or 3 days in a row.

What i did was the following, i completely wiped my old installation and installed a fresh new windows 10 1909 this time. It seemed to work fine with the on board windows drivers. But then i installed the lastest amd rx gpu drivers again with the new radeon settings program and within 15 minutes a crash. Something is going horribly wrong with that new radeon settings program interacting with the driver.

I hope this helps AMD in finding the issue, it is not power related or power supply related. Because the system runs fine with benchmarking. And the issue happens randomly. I have also turned off power savings for the monitor and this did not help either.

Key board keys are sometimes still functional. num lock, scroll lock and caps lock but not every time. SOmetimes, the system is dead and will not reboot even on it's own. I need to hard reset with the reset button.

This may be that the gfx card no longer recognizes the monitor for some reason and then not providing a signal. I remember vaguely this was also an issue in the past. When the issue occurs again, i will see what happens when i turn on the tv that is also connected to the pc. See if that helps.

I will also check if the fans are still spinning, because for to rule that out, that that is the issue (not spinning up in time), i have turned off 0rpm mode.

To see if that helps.

I noticed some strange sound coming from the fans from time to time.

Must be a clue somewhere.

Is there any news already about these random black screen issues. Because it is obvious it is not just limited to RX 5700X models.

0 Likes
3 Replies

Hi all. I am still having the same problems.

Also at startup :

Bios : P5.40

Ryzen 2600.

RX480 8GB GFX card.

16GB DDR4 ram on an ASROCK AB350M board.

Memory is stable, i have done 50 hours of memory testing without any issues.

Windows 10 home 1909. Build 18363.836.

Driver is 20.4.2.

The frequency that the crash happens is less. But it still happens.

It also happens sometimes at startup when the login screen starts to appear.

So, no programs are running at that moment :

I am looking into the event viewer. yesterday i noticed this but i am going to verify it again as soon as i see this issue happening again :

First time boot , crash on logon screen. Monitor goes dark.

I am thinking of writing a small command line program that will run at startup that will continously send messages over the comport to see if windows it self is still running. This way, i will know for sure if windows crashed or that the gfx card just refuses to work or that for some reason it has decided that no monitor is attached. With linux it is a lot easier to have a debug terminal. I am going to look into it to see if windows also has such a feature. Otherwilse i will make a program that dumps data over the com port for investigation puposes. I already have a custom made 256x64 oled display front that i can use to dump data to. Otherwise i will use my raspberry pi for convienience.

I am keeping track of what is happening through the event viewer.

I noticed some things with the event logs i do not understand.

And based on what i see i am starting to doubt if it is an AMD issue. I need to dig into this more deeply.

Do notice, that i never had issues before. System has been rock solid up to a about 2 months ago. But i do have had windows release updates and regular windows updates. I am not entirely sure this is an AMD driver problem.

And i see the same issue with a fresh woindows 10 install minutes after the installation is done without any of my regular programs installed.

When i find something, i will let you folks know.

my RX 480 card also have random issue of crash or freeze or black screen, under idle or low load conditions,

this issue happen in both windows 10 and linux , and require power/reset button

from many testings in linux, found out the following among things, still true as of recent, Arch Linux kernel 5.4.77

my RX 480 video card bios specify idle 800mv voltage,  AMD video driver probably run it at 750mv at idle

linux sensors output, pc is at idle,  video bios idle value is 800mv,  it is actually reported running 750mv

amdgpu-pci-0a00
Adapter: PCI adapter
vddgfx: 750.00 mV
fan1: 802 RPM (min = 0 RPM, max = 3700 RPM)
edge: +29.0°C (crit = +94.0°C, hyst = -273.1°C)
power1: 8.20 W (cap = 130.00 W)

linux sensors output, pc is at idle, video bios modified to idle at 820mv, it is actually reported running 775mv,

no more random crash or freeze or black screen

amdgpu-pci-0a00
vddgfx: 775.00 mV
fan1: 796 RPM (min = 0 RPM, max = 3700 RPM)
power1: 8.19 W (cap = 130.00 W)

for William,  assume your pc run windows and amd driver, check idle voltage, may try bump additional 25mv or 50mv

for AMD,    please make video driver to respect video bios idle value of 800mv (at least for RX480), instead of run it at 750mv

i compared rx480 and rx580 card bios,  noticed that RX580 video bios set idle value at 750mv

suspect AMD video driver treats both rx480 and rx580 to idle at same 750mv , which likely is the cause of  these random crash/freeze/blackout issues under idle/suspend/low load conditions

many of these very similar occurrences are reported on internet
just google for keywords:  rx 480 (or polaris)  crash or freeze or black screen

0 Likes

my RX 480 card also have random issue of crash or freeze or black screen, under idle/suspend/wake/low load conditions,

this issue happen in both windows 10 and linux , and require power/reset button

from many testings in linux, have the following observations, still true as of recent, Arch Linux kernel 5.4.77

my RX 480 video card bios specify idle 800mv voltage,  it is actually run 750mv at idle

linux sensors output, pc is at idle,  video bios idle value is 800mv,  it is actually reported running 750mv

amdgpu-pci-0a00
vddgfx: 750.00 mV
fan1: 802 RPM (min = 0 RPM, max = 3700 RPM)
power1: 8.20 W (cap = 130.00 W)

linux sensors output, pc is at idle, video bios modified to idle at 820mv, it is actually reported running 775mv,

no more random crash or freeze or black screen  for days/weeks/months

amdgpu-pci-0a00
vddgfx: 775.00 mV
fan1: 796 RPM (min = 0 RPM, max = 3700 RPM)
power1: 8.19 W (cap = 130.00 W)

for William and for people who experience same issue,  assume your pc run windows 10 and amd video driver,
please check idle voltage, may try configure additional 25mv or 50mv at idle,   and report result

for AMD,    please make video driver to respect video bios idle value of 800mv (at least for RX480), do not run it at 750mv

i compared rx480 and rx580 card bios,  noticed that RX580 video bios set idle value at 750mv

suspect AMD video driver treats both rx480 and rx580 to idle at same 750mv , which likely is the cause of  these random crash/freeze/blackout issues under idle/suspend/wake/low load conditions

many of these very similar occurrences are reported on internet
just google for keywords:  rx 480 (or polaris)  crash or freeze or black screen

0 Likes