cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

magicool
Adept II

RX480 memory clock stays at 2000 mhz

I noticed with 18.9.1 still installed my memory clock always stayed at 2000 mhz.

I did a reset in the Radeon Settings and Wattman but it still stayed at 2000 mhz all the time, it used to go down to 300 mhz when idle.

I then uninstalled all AMD drivers, cleaned up with DDU and installed 18.10.2 plus chipset drivers and the issue still persists.

Did resets in WattMan with 18.10.2 as well but memory clock always stays at 2000 mhz.

Is this a known issue?

Any other ideas?

OS Win 10 64bit

0 Likes
14 Replies
Hardwood
Paragon

magicool wrote:

Is this a known issue?

OS Win 10 64bit

Do you have more than one monitor connected and turned on?

ASUS TUF X570 wifi, AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, ASRock 6700XT Challenger, Antec Truepower new 700w. 32GB
0 Likes

Yes I do

here is a DxDiag attached

0 Likes

magicool wrote:

Yes I do

It's normal then. If you turn off/disable one monitor the memory speed will drop.

I've had AMD gpus for years and they've always been like that.

One of the AMD  guys on here explained it a year or two ago. If I can find it I'll post the link.

Found one from AMD staff. I know there's more if you search: R9 380 memory speed maxed out when idle

ASUS TUF X570 wifi, AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, ASRock 6700XT Challenger, Antec Truepower new 700w. 32GB

hmm that's weird like zelda412​ said it that wasn't always the case.

Must have started 18.6.1/ .7.1/ .81 for me beause I for sure remember earlier this year the VRAM clock dropping to 300 mhz in idle.

But ok if it's expetected behaviour then I guess it's fine.

I might try to install 18.5.X and see if it doesn't occour on that.

magicool a écrit:

hmm that's weird like zelda412 said it that wasn't always the case.

Must have started 18.6.1/ .7.1/ .81 for me beause I for sure remember earlier this year the VRAM clock dropping to 300 mhz in idle.

You have to.

Actually I just want to wait until it's resolved because it doesn't bother me from the moment that I can play some games properly, until now.

0 Likes

One difference might be I don't use wattman. I'm an afterburner guy. And are you sure there's no program accessing the gpu for hardware acceleration etc..

I KNOW this is the usual behaviour for many many generations of AMD GPUs.

On the RX580 I have 3 monitors connected and on standby. Until I let windows extend/duplicate/set eyefinity the memclock stays at 300 when desktop/idling.

I currently have 2 computers with extra monitors on the go, one with an old 5870 and this one with the ASUS 580. Same thing on both.

Anyhow, the option is there to disable wattman (Radeon Settings return to defaults option) and use Afterburner or maybe even nothing (for a bit).

0 Likes

Hardwood a écrit:

One difference might be I don't use wattman. I'm an afterburner guy. And are you sure there's no program accessing the gpu for hardware acceleration etc..

I KNOW this is the usual behaviour for many many generations of AMD GPUs.

On the RX580 I have 3 monitors connected and on standby. Until I let windows extend/duplicate/set eyefinity the memclock stays at 300 when desktop/idling.

I currently have 2 computers with extra monitors on the go, one with an old 5870 and this one with the ASUS 580. Same thing on both.

Anyhow, the option is there to disable wattman (Radeon Settings return to defaults option) and use Afterburner or maybe even nothing (for a bit).

Firstly, I did check and disable hardware acceleration on Windows 10, as you can see on my story => https://community.amd.com/message/2881578#comment-2881578

Secondly, I don't know what kind of program can access the gpu hardware acceleration (VLC maybe ? It's automatic in that case, but what else ?).

0 Likes

zelda412 wrote:

Firstly, I did check and disable hardware acceleration on Windows 10, as you can see on my story => https://community.amd.com/message/2881578#comment-2881578

Secondly, I don't know what kind of program can access the gpu hardware acceleration (VLC maybe ? It's automatic in that case, but what else ?).

I don't know of any other either so just disable wattman and see if there's a difference.

And FWIW, because of the bug I mentioned in your other thread and where I already mentioned to disable wattman, I still use 18.3.4

Regarding VLC it does not effect memclock with music but it will with a video (goes to 1000). With a game it goes to 2000.

0 Likes

magicool a écrit:

hmm that's weird like zelda412 said it that wasn't always the case.

So, have you uninstalled the previous driver (18.5.X) yet?

Le us know when you have done!

0 Likes

Hardwood a écrit:

magicool wrote:

Yes I do

It's normal then. If you turn off/disable one monitor the memory speed will drop.

I've had AMD gpus for years and they've always been like that.

One of the AMD guys on here explained it a year or two ago. If I can find it I'll post the link.

Found one from AMD staff. I know there's more if you search: R9 380 memory speed maxed out when idle

I can say that is not the problem, because I have only one monitor connected to my PC in DisplayPort. (I did the procedure on Windows 10 => Settings -> Display -> Detet => "Only one monitor")

So the problem is somewhere else, even If I'm pretty sure that it comes from the driver.

Not to mention that it exist on RX vega series since 18.9.3 or before that, but why not for RX 580 or RX 500 series?

0 Likes
zelda412
Adept II

You can check the full story about that because I have the same issue than you for my RX 580 ROG STRIX from Asus. I have the latest driver => 18.10.2 beta edition.

https://community.amd.com/message/2877444?q=RX%20580

On my side, I would say that is the problem of the driver since 18.7.1, before that, no high memory and clock, even at idle mode.

"Is this a known issue?"

At the time I'm writting, it has not been considered as a known issue by AMD. Not at all!

Maybe we just have to wait until AMD rolls out the recommended driver in December (not sure it will come out in November except surprise).

magicool
Adept II

Since 19.1.1 the memory clocks down again

0 Likes

You mean even if using a multi-monitor setup? Thx

Still at 300 MHz nowadays?

I believe I have the same issue as you. Since the big Adrenaline update in 2019, when the driver program got rid of the "Power Efficiency" setting, my core clock keeps fluctuating (350 MHz - 1000 MHz) and my mem clock gets stuck at 2000 MHz. Consequently, the temperatures (in idle and doing ordinary stuff like browsing the web) rose noticeably (52º - 60º C). And it still bothers me to this day.

0 Likes