cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

paul17041993
Adept III

Re: RX Vega64 Liquid -- Possible HBM2 Downclocking / Upclocking / Black-Screen issue

You should force them to refund the card, as it's a known design defect. Even if it were a simple "driver issue", the fact that there's still no fix in the drivers means the card remains permanently defective. It's illegal to reject a refund on the basis that drivers "will be patched in the unknown future", if it doesn't work now, it doesn't work, simple as that.

0 Likes
twikletoes
Adept I

Re: RX Vega64 Liquid -- Possible HBM2 Downclocking / Upclocking / Black-Screen issue

They had it back and originally said I had a 3 year warranty. That was this earlier this year, they RMA'd it and tested it and found no fault, and sent it back to me. It's still never worked correctly though. Their test was bull.

But now after emailing for RMA they say I had a 1 year warranty, and now the warranty is out of date and they won't do anything neither would Sapphire who made it.

Anyone from AMD on here available to lend me any assistance? 

0 Likes
colesdav
MVP

Good luck with that

Sapphire Warranty information: https://www.sapphiretech.com/en/cs_consumer 
That says that the retailer specifies the warranty.
One year Warranty on a Sapphire GPU sounds very low to me unless it is for a mining GPU though.
I would expect 2 to 3 year warranty on a Sapphire GPU.

I always request an email before purchase that confirms the warranty period

In your case you could try to look for the GPU you purchased using this:
Internet Archive: Wayback Machine 
You might be lucky and be able to capture a screenshot showing the Warranty details for the card from the website at the time you purchased it.

twikletoes
Adept I

In your case you could try to look for the GPU you purchased using this:
Internet Archive: Wayback Machine 
That's a good shout!

I've looked on there and found it the day I bought it. Nice one.

I've also got the email from them earlier this year saying I've got a 3 year warranty.

I've just now spoken to them on the phone and they've confirmed they can also see the emails earlier this year and the one that states I've got a 3 year warranty. Their website today does show a 1 year warranty, but every other Sapphire card they sell says 3 year warranty. So has it been changed - it must have. 

The person I spoke to is going to speak to his manager. Will see what response I get. 

Edit - they have accepted the RMA now! Will be sending it back and hopefully this will all get sorted out. Much better. 

colesdav
MVP

That's great news.

ajlueke
Grandmaster

Perhaps I'm just not understanding correctly.  If the issue is with the SOC design on the Vega GPUs that manifests when driving multiple displays, won't an RMA just give another defective GPU?  

0 Likes
twikletoes
Adept I

You may be right, but I hope not.

You're referring to the overheating of the VR SOC chips is that correct?

My card didn't seem to really get hot at all. Then again the card I had before this was a 390X and that was a toaster so I could just be comparing it with a hot one haha. It was in a big NZXT case with watercooling for the CPU and plenty of fans and airflow.

I will have to wait and see what happens.

Is running multiple displays related then? I must have missed that one.

Would that issue not be something fixed on the boards made more recently?

I've tried different cable configurations and whatnot but actually don't think I tried just one screen.

But if that's the case then I'd still be receiving a defective card, as you said, so I should point that out and see what options I have. 

0 Likes
paul17041993
Adept III

ajlueke wrote:

Perhaps I'm just not understanding correctly.  If the issue is with the SOC design on the Vega GPUs that manifests when driving multiple displays, won't an RMA just give another defective GPU?  

You're correct in that a new card will exhibit the exact same issues, be it immediately or some time after silicon burn-in.

This is why I said to force a refund, or alternatively just return it to them over and over until they finally give up.

XFX shut down support for first-gen vega (56, 64, 64w, FE, etc), sapphire probably did the same, hence the change to only 1 year warranty, even though both are illegal. You can use these as examples towards refunding the card.

colesdav
MVP

RE: XFX shut down support for first-gen vega (56, 64, 64w, FE, etc),

I own two XFX RX Vega 64 Liquid. The Warranty is supposed to be 3 years. I still have 2 years Warranty left as far as I know.
Can you explain what you mean by " XFX shut down support for first-gen vega" please?
Do you mean they do not provide any technical support or or are you saying the do not support or honor RMA and Warranty?

Sapphire RX Vega 64 Nitro plus are still selling new from retailers for ~ 380 in places

• 11275-03-40G
    and advertised with:
  • 2 Year Warranty.

More expensive than Powercolor dual fan AIB RX5700Xt which are at ~ 370.

0 Likes
paul17041993
Adept III

colesdav wrote:

Can you explain what you mean by " XFX shut down support for first-gen vega" please?
Do you mean they do not provide any technical support or or are you saying the do not support or honor RMA and Warranty?

They basically just ignore you if you contact them, not sure about the actual retail side of it however, but in australia (and I think the EU and UK too) they're legally required to reimburse the retailer for the customer's refund.

0 Likes