cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

shomynik
Adept I

Re: RX Vega64 Liquid -- Possible HBM2 Downclocking / Upclocking / Black-Screen issue

I wouldn't like to go below my vega 56 nitro's performance, but thx for the heads-up for the upcoming RX680, if it turns out to be the same performance as my vega, that would be my way out. Do you think it should perform similarly?

I bought my vega on Amazon.de and I have an only great experience with Amazon, so that's a good part.

0 Likes
mrcleanor
Adept II

Re: RX Vega64 Liquid -- Possible HBM2 Downclocking / Upclocking / Black-Screen issue

Cheers to you mate. @Hive

I was thinking about a Radeon VII but the steep price (compared to my current performance) and the thermal pad were no goes.

I am thinking about upgrading to a ryzen 2 wih a new B550 Chipset and hope that the platform change will work everything out.

I must say, after i lock my HBM with 500 lowest and 945 for gaming i had no problems, but the newer drivers didn't help at all.

Good luck to all plagued!

0 Likes
mrcleanor
Adept II

Good that you tested another card, now we know it is a design flaw. (now i wait for navi...) @ slaigrin

For your "temperature problem" you could tr a bigger case, make more room beside the card (take hdd/ssd higher), put the cables away, get another fan that gives cold air, reduce the powerlimit (-10% should help and not cost to much performance), undervolt (Overdive ntool, rivatuner) or install liquid cooling. I am undervoltung and running lower powerdraw and trhe card is a dream (when 500HBM min is set).

Good luck mate.

0 Likes
hammah33
Journeyman III

• AMD Graphics Card

Radeon Vega FE Liquid Cooled

• Desktop or Laptop System
    • Desktop
  • Operating System
    • Windows 10 64bit Version 1809
  • Driver version installed
    • Currently on 18.9.3
  • Display Devices
    • BENQ 4K
    • Ben Q 4K
  • Motherboard + Bios Revision
    • MSI Meg Creation X399 Bios Ver 1.2
  • CPU/APU
    • AMD Threadripper 2950X
    • Seasonic 850 Watt
  • RAM
    • 64GB Corsair Vengence PRO 3200 MHZ RGB

Thank you! I was running the air cooled Radeon Vega FE and this kept happening. Random black screens. This is a workstation, so I leave it running overnight so backups can run. I would come to the office in the morning and it would be locked up, black screen card running full tilt. My office was actually warm! I would have random black screens with the air cooled card. I bought the liquid cooled version and i got the same exact behavior! Random black screens, come back into the office in the morning with it running full tilt! I am not daisy chaining, I am not overclocking. Most of the time it is not even under load when this happens.

I had to go back from the latest driver revision to 18.9.3 so I could load the "gaming" driver. This gave me access to Wattman. I could not enable switching from the pro driver to the "gaming" driver with the latest driver. Once I had access to wattman I was able to set it to state 3. This solved the problem. Not one crash since and it has been over a week and a half. I use this machine for CAD work and rendering, I cannot afford the hassle of an unstable card. The reason I dealt with it is that this thing performs on par with $5k Nvidia Quadro cards. I have a large CAD assembly I work on every day and this thing eats it for breakfast. My quadro P4000 could not spin the model unless I had it at the lowest settings. 

0 Likes
paul17041993
Adept III

Well, I can confirm with 200% certainty, that the dedicated SoC rail in the VII fixes all display and stability issues. Bar some minor driver issues my VII has been 100% stable with the display configuration I'm using. Even the DP>HDMI>DVI 4m cabling to the 1200p display has been absolutely perfect with no signal loss or corruption whatsoever, whereas the V64 I RMA'ed would display corruption or white noise most of the time...

giulioj
Adept I

that's great to know! thanks for sharing

0 Likes
grogg
Adept I

Based on a suggestion from a friend, in my motherboard BIOS (Gigabyte X370 K7) under the "Power Supply Idle Control" i set the setting to "Typical Current Idle" and I also disabled Global C State Control and it seemed to fix the black screens when idling.

I don't know why this helped because this seemed to be the fix for people that were having idle crashes with their Ryzen CPU, and those BIOS settings would seem affect the CPU Performance not the GPU. I also never had idle crashes with my 1700 when using my R9 380X, and my RX 580.

0 Likes
usd311
Journeyman III

for some reason I had a similar problem. wanted to set STAGE 1 min STAGE 3 max but it would always jump to S2min S3max when I hit apply. Start game, tab out, try change again. worked for me.. 

shomynik
Adept I

I tried setting state 1 MIN and state 3 MAX in hope that it would work out and that I don't have to manually switch profiles every time I go from audio work to game and vice versa, and the black/gray screens came back.

Manual control is the only option for me it seems  Annoying!

0 Likes
shomynik
Adept I

Just wanted to write myself off from here while sharing my exp...

After almost a year I finally RMAed my vega 56 nitro (with the full refund - amazon germany rocks!) a couple of weeks ago when I saw some new navi desings that suit me. Went rx 5700 xt route thinking there was enough time for drivers to be ironed out only to encounter an amazingly unstable performance (BSODs) and forums full of ppl complaining. Although, when it was working (in-game) it was showing some fantastic power. Tried every single thing (except os reinstalling) ppl sudgested here and other places with no success.

I returned the card the 3rd day in - to repeat, my system is a music production machine with tons of installed software that work flawlessly, so reinstalling OS was out of question. Put the vega 56 back in, everything worked as it should again (with the fixed hbm workaround ofc). Ordered rtx 2060 super, installed it, no issues (except multi mon setup was pushing some very high clocks by default - fixed with the set and forget utility), runing 2 weeks now with no problems.

I hate all the time I lost troubleshooting vega and now navi, I'm not paid to beta test their products and fix their errors - I make video game music for living and I need a powerfull gpu in my system, but stabillity is priority for me which AMD unfortunatelly doesnt deliver. But fortunately, NVIDIA does. After this exp, I also stopped thinking about Ryzen...

Wishing you all good luck, hopefully you guys found a suitable replacament as well.