cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

jcee
Adept II

Re: RX Vega64 Liquid -- Possible HBM2 Downclocking / Upclocking / Black-Screen issue

That may be the case, but I feel some monitors and configurations seem to mask or not show the problems, so I'm interested in how it goes.

But youre correct in that it still needs to be fixed.

0 Likes
hive
Elite

Re: RX Vega64 Liquid -- Possible HBM2 Downclocking / Upclocking / Black-Screen issue

paul17041993 wrote:

hive it'll hang on HDMI as well, though I tested that many months back...

The voltage will dip below the safe .850V due to general vdroop and bad VRM signalling, but it'll vary with different connections and tasks as to how much it droops, but the simple point still stands that it's broken and needs to be patched...

Still running great on 1 display through HDMI .. 1 week stable so far and i did everything i know that would crash it otherwise..

I monitor the Gpu idle voltage and i don't see it drop below 0.825V.. and yes with an additional Displayport connected Idle voltage goes to 0.800V and sometimes dips below it to around 0.787V..

But i find it odd that with 2 displays connected Idle voltage is 0.800V and with only 1 monitor connected it's 0.825V ??? really strange.

I did get a response from the AMD Tech.Support and they said the following,

I understand you are facing blackscreen issue with vega 64 graphic card even after performing several troubleshooting steps

I can certainly understand your concern, I will make a note of the issue and report it to the concern Team internally.

Thanks for contacting AMD..

So there going to take a look into it again hopefully they can replicate it..

0 Likes
paul17041993
Adept III

hive​ oh for only a single display it shouldn't hang, and that's how I run mine. Although I've noticed mine sits around .775 in low idle, although the GPU actively jumps in and out of full powerdown in this state (0W power) and thus the voltage here is mostly meaningless, playing a video keeps it out of powerdown and the voltage remains around .825.

I currently have my second display connected to my old hawaii, of which has been stable for the full year, it's whenever I connect the second to either a displayport or the HDMI alongside the main 4k, that the card hangs...

0 Likes
hive
Elite

paul17041993 wrote:

hive oh for only a single display it shouldn't hang, and that's how I run mine. Although I've noticed mine sits around .775 in low idle, although the GPU actively jumps in and out of full powerdown in this state (0W power) and thus the voltage here is mostly meaningless, playing a video keeps it out of powerdown and the voltage remains around .825.

I currently have my second display connected to my old hawaii, of which has been stable for the full year, it's whenever I connect the second to either a displayport or the HDMI alongside the main 4k, that the card hangs...

So yes we have exactly the same issue..

0 Likes
unixm
Journeyman III

I'd like to report I am having a similar issue.  My Specs:

Asus Strix Vega 64
Ryzen 1800X
Corsair LPX 16GB RAM
Asus Crosshair VI Hero (non-wifi), BIOS 6201
Corsair 1200W PSU

Connected using DP with a Samsung CHG70 Monitor

The issue I have is once I've finished gaming or using the PC, I turn my monitor off and leave the machine on.  I come back to it and it's restarted itself after a BSOD with the Event Viewer stating "bugcheck" - When viewing memory.dmp it simply stats it's ntoskrnl that's crashed.  Although when I finally get back into my wattman settings it's all reset.

To be clear, I've tried setting 'State 1' as minimum as a Custom Profile, using just 'Balanced' profile and I've also got each 8-PIN Connector running off a different rail although I'm pretty sure it's no issue of power.

The issue seems to occur (at some point) after switching off my monitor/going to bed, it could be 5mins after or a few hours after but when I get back to the PC it's restarted.

I'm using Windows 10 64-bit, 1803 with every update applied and I'm using the very latest AMD drivers for the Vega card.

I've only had the card a few days but I'm a bit at the end of my tether with this now as my machine is also used for work so it needs to be stable.  I haven't had this problem with my RX580 so I'm going to be returning this card and probably waiting for Vega 20 or whatever the next one is.

0 Likes
hive
Elite

Well i can confirm that my system works stable for almost 2 weeks now (Used my system for at least 7 hours a day). with only 1 display output  (HDMI) used on the Vega card.

I had to take my time to proper test this setup, and yes i did game a few days but i certainly made sure that i used a lot of low to idle GPU load scenarios.

Created the same scenarios that i used with both Displayport and HDMI in use on the Vega and with that i had at least once or twice a random black/grey screen lockup.

So for now, as i wrote in a previous post i made a detailed ticket to AMD and they answered me that they would review it with an internal Team, so the did pick it up and now we wait.

0 Likes
kaishi
Adept I

I received an official response from AMD, indicating that my card is defective and should be returned to XFX for replacement.  Since XFX won't do cross-shipping, I ordered an additional XFX RX Vega 64 to swap in.  I'll be testing that card the same way I did this one.  If it shows the same problems, I'll report it the same way.

I'll RMA the problematic card after validating that the second one I ordered will work better than the first.  When the replacement arrives, I'll put that in another computer instead.  Sucks but, I can't be without my main computer for weeks while waiting on an RMA.  And in a custom-loop, without the GPU installed, I can't use the machine at all.  And I don't have any other watercooled card to swap in, even temporarily.

0 Likes
hive
Elite

kaishi wrote:

I received an official response from AMD, indicating that my card is defective and should be returned to XFX for replacement. Since XFX won't do cross-shipping, I ordered an additional XFX RX Vega 64 to swap in. I'll be testing that card the same way I did this one. If it shows the same problems, I'll report it the same way.

I'll RMA the problematic card after validating that the second one I ordered will work better than the first. When the replacement arrives, I'll put that in another computer instead. Sucks but, I can't be without my main computer for weeks while waiting on an RMA. And in a custom-loop, without the GPU installed, I can't use the machine at all. And I don't have any other watercooled card to swap in, even temporarily.

Well keep us updated please..

Got this picture from a friend.. has the same Vega 64 liquid and knows about this problem as well.

He has it happen rarely only about once every 3 months or so.

guess AMD would consider his card to be faulty to then right

IMG-20180926-WA0001.jpg

I am Still working on 1 monitor setup and it is still running fine for 3 weeks now, 

0 Likes
kaishi
Adept I

Okay, I finished swapped to the second card a couple days ago, and then testing since then.  The card seems stable as can be, even when left idle.  No issues that I've seen so far.  I'm running the stock core clocks, stock firmware, but have the HBM up to 1075MHz.  I had a softcrash at 1100MHz, so I backed off a little bit to be safe.

<B>EDIT:</B> NOPE, it's happened again, the SAME symptom as before.  What the heck, dude.  I'm using an entirely different board.  The block is cooled as perfectly as it could be, so very cold.  Top-grade thermal pads ($40 each time I replace the block, seriously it's killing me).  Plenty of flow.  Under load and under mouse movement, this system is perfectly stable.

But if I walk away from it for ~15 minutes, it's game over, hard-lock.

0 Likes
kommie
Adept II

Just to update you guys. I gave up on my LC Vega 64 and sent it to Gigabyte for RMA in Poland. 3 Weeks now and still waiting.

0 Likes