cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

hive
Elite

Re: RX Vega64 Liquid -- Possible HBM2 Downclocking / Upclocking / Black-Screen issue

Depends m8, i don't know if you had the same issue as some of us here do ?

and did you try to lock HBM with those 2 cards that you send RMA ?? and where they stable once you did ?

problem we have is some folks here have also blackscreens but there problem seems indeed be related to a bad sample, and yes if they did lock HBM and they still crash.

I am on my 3rd Vega64 liquid  and from the 3 i had , one was for sure faulty giving a blackscreen and after that Monitor signal lost that one also didn't boot up properly and gave a blackscreen again as soon as the desktop was loaded and again a monitor signal lost. and sometimes it didn't even booted Tach meter didn't lid up and the card was dead.. if i waited 3 hours the card would work again until the next blackscreen.

With that card i was easily able to recreate it with another pc and it gave the exact same issue's there even with 1 monitor so that one was definitely Faulty.

the other 2 cards where only giving me a black/grey screen (But no Monitor signal lost, only Black/grey screen system totaly locked) when idle and both where stable once i locked HBM, tested both cards in another pc and both worked fine there with 1 monitor connected.

i did Rma the first card as well and now on my 3rd that is giving me exact the same problem as the first card so i don't believe that this one is faulty.

card works Fine with 1 monitor connected and i tested 2 displayports (ports) just to make sure that maybe one port was faulty but no there not.

So After getting my hands on 3 Vega 64 liquids  Card Number 2 Was really faulty as i explain above, number 1 and 3 are fine. but just suffer from a driver/firmware issue that is rare it seems.

For now i am on 1 monitor myself and it still runs stable so far with everything on Default, so 2 monitor seems to give me the problems.

the driver also seems to behave strange

Got Lag issue's as soon as i turn my 2nd monitor off (is a known issue now but still not fixed and no even with 18.9.1 it is not fixed and they know it) Disable HDCP and the lag is gone. HBM clock is stuck and that as well is a known issue..

Well none of those bugs are present for me with 1 monitor attached so the drivers are definitely need to shape up for multi monitor setups !

From what i have experienced so far, If you lock the HBM and your system is stable then your card is working Fine

0 Kudos
monsicek
Adept I

Re: RX Vega64 Liquid -- Possible HBM2 Downclocking / Upclocking / Black-Screen issue

Well ye, I came to this this topic having exactly same issues. 100% fan issue, black screen hard lockouts. Also PC wouldn't boot until you unplug power cord and wait until discharged. Consistent with pcie link failure. I have messed with locking frequencies, voltages, custom voltage table, bios update. Nothing worked.

As mentioned earlier, this functional card is consistently boosting over 1500MHz where the previous ones were able to run around 1150-1250 depending on workload.

edit: And it's not the BIOS revision that helped. I have updated all old cards through all BIOSes from GB site, F2, F3, F4. 2nd card with F5 even. Now my 3rd card is F3 and did not bother updating yet as it works out of box.

0 Kudos
hive
Elite

So yes clear you had  a faulty card as none of the tips we gave helped..

For some of us Locking HBM gave us total Stability.  (i'm one of those)

Gaming on 1 monitor for now and it is stable so far. and the Card is boosting at around 1670Mhz Undervolted to 1.050V(Actual).. Power @ 0% so cannot exceed 264W  but it is hovering around 230 to 240 watt mostly. (HBM unlocked)

But for me Full power never was a problem. it is the idle to low load that is causing the lockups with 2 monitors and unlocked HBM.

0 Kudos
monsicek
Adept I

Core looks to be good silicon of yours. Other parts might not be so good. Seems like it's complex issue without general fix. Different parts behave weirdly under different workloads.

0 Kudos
hive
Elite

Think i got an above average piece of silicon.. HBM runs fine @ 1125mhz as well but i run it @ 1100Mhz going above it doesn't really benefit ..

HBM from 945Mhz to 1050Mhz is a nice boost, going from 1050Mhz to 1100Mhz Slight boost going above this not worth it and only adds more heat.

Still happy atm that it runs stable on 1 monitor though that only strengthens a few of us that the card is not faulty, but a rare driver issue with more then 1 monitor attached to the graphics card.

If this keeps up for a few more days then i'm going to make a detailed support ticket again.. sadly they didn't even replied on my last one.

Update,

It's still stable running for more then 60 hours already ..

Made a detailed support ticket number:8200831695

for those interested

0 Kudos
excelsum
Adept I

I have same exact issues, with Asus X370-F Mobo (AMD) with Ryzen 7 1700x and liquid Vega. 2 monitors with 3440x1440@100Hz & 1080P@60Hz.

But my issues were narrowed down to using iCue from Corsair and CAM from NZXT, both use CPUIDSDK.DLLs that cause the black.grey screens. Removing this 2 softwares fixes the issue. And BTW i am on my first RMA card now that has exactly same issues. So if you got those software running remove them.

Here is a thread on Corsair: Black Screening / Video Card output switching off from iCUE - Page 4 - The Corsair User Forums

0 Kudos
monsicek
Adept I

Hello I have iCue running, latest version and it's working with my 3rd Vega. I am not sure if it was problem before or not.

0 Kudos
hive
Elite

excelsum wrote:

I have same exact issues, with Asus X370-F Mobo (AMD) with Ryzen 7 1700x and liquid Vega. 2 monitors with 3440x1440@100Hz & 1080P@60Hz.

But my issues were narrowed down to using iCue from Corsair and CAM from NZXT, both use CPUIDSDK.DLLs that cause the black.grey screens. Removing this 2 softwares fixes the issue. And BTW i am on my first RMA card now that has exactly same issues. So if you got those software running remove them.

Here is a thread on Corsair: Black Screening / Video Card output switching off from iCUE - Page 4 - The Corsair User Forums

yea i know about this problem but this is particular only for AMD Ryzen systems, a friend got an Asus Rog Crosshair II x470 with a Ryzen 2700X and when he used Asus Aura together with a lightning program from NZXT (forgot the program name)  his computer would random shutdown..

but this is now fixed with a bios update.

For myself i only use Aida64 in the background. but even when i won't run it and have 2 Displays connected to the Vega card the instability starts again.

0 Kudos
excelsum
Adept I

Well I don't think it is the card issue - unless it is a hardware problem interacting with drivers from AMD or some of this softwares. Or specific combo of CPU, MOBO and RAM that triggers this.

In any case for me removing iCue and CAM from NZXT solves the issue, its sad thou because i cannot use the profiles for the keyboard and mouse and the color settings.

Hope it gets fixed cause i did not have this issue before April i believe.

0 Kudos
paul17041993
Adept III

hive​ it'll hang on HDMI as well, though I tested that many months back...

The voltage will dip below the safe .850V due to general vdroop and bad VRM signalling, but it'll vary with different connections and tasks as to how much it droops, but the simple point still stands that it's broken and needs to be patched...

0 Kudos