cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

pureinstinct
Journeyman III

rx vega 64 driver crashes

The problem I have been facing for over a month now is that while gaming no matter the type of game open be it Minecraft or Monster Hunter World my pc will crash, as in, both of my monitors will go black for around 15-30 seconds where the displays will then lose signal, then they get the signal back and my game will have crashed and no longer show up on the screen, just an empty box of whatever I'm playing. I will get the notification that "Default Wattman settings have been restored due to an unexpected system failure". Afterwards I can keep using the computer to browse the internet and watch videos but as soon as I start playing another game the same thing happens. After a while, and I mean like after a few restarts of my computer or just not playing games for a couple hours, my computer will stop having that issue in which case I can play for days on end but only if I put the computer to Sleep at night instead of shutting it down because if I shut it down then the next time it gets turned on the same issues come back up again. This has happened ever since I upgraded my GPU from a Radeon RX 580 to the Radeon RX Vega 64. I have tried clean uninstalling the drivers with the Radeon Crimson settings titled RADEON SETTINGS on my computer a couple of time to no avail. I have changed the wires going into my card from a sing wire that connected both connectors to one wire for each one. I have separated those wires to their own rails on the PSU. I have pulled the card out and made sure there is no dust messing with anything. I have gone in the Wattman settings and set the Power Limit (%) slider all the way to the right at 50. I am running out of options but I want this card to work. Here are my specs: Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PRO CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X (YD170XCCAEWOF) RAM: PNY Anarchy 2x8GB DDR4 2400MHz GPU: AMD Radeon RX Vega 64 ROG PSU: Corsair 850x (850w) Gold Fans: 3 120mm CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H60 AIO Liquid CPU Cooler, 120mm Radiator, 120mm Fan

5 Replies
cjhilinski
Adept I

I was seeing a lot of these messages and if I tried to use the Turbo or Custom modes in the Radeon panel, it would happen without fail. I started running some benchmarks and watched the temps and found that my Vega64 was hitting the max temp way too frequently with the fan refusing to go any higher than 41% (or 48%, I don't remember which). I set a custom fan curve that ramped up the fan earlier and while kept the card cooler, I still got the reset messages. Last night, I noticed that the default clock setting was 1630 and the specs for the card say it tops out at 1546 with turbo. I set a custom config with a max of 1547 and I haven't seen any failures yet. With the fan change, the machine is noisier, but I don't care since I use headphones any way.

0 Likes
fixmystuffplz
Journeyman III

I am having this exact same issue man.

I've tried:

-Updating GPU drivers, board bios, chipset
-Updating Windows and other drivers

-Rolling back GPU drivers

-Reinstalling after using AMD utility and DDU
-Changing TDRdelay/TDRlevel in the registry

-sfcscannow + DISM + memtest
-Running as admin

-Running in compatibility mode
-Changing power settings
-Turning off fastboot
-Dropping ram overclock

-Even a clean reinstallation of windows

None of it worked.

I've opened a ticket with AMD and Powercolor, the manufacturer of my Vega 64 LC. I'll update you if I learn anything, let me know if you end up finding a fix.

0 Likes

Did you end up getting a fix?

0 Likes

Yes! Not from AMD or powercolor though. 

There are two things I did that could have fixed it. I did both of these things at the same time though so you might have to test it out.

1. Go to power management settings, in your plan change the option for link shell/ link state power (not at comp atm to check exact name)  to off. 

Reasoning: someone told me this can potentially limit the power going to the GPU

2. I limited the power % Increase to +25% instead of the Internet recommended +50%.

This fixed crashing in most of my games. FFXIV however still crashes occasionally. However overwatch, WoW, pubg, and apex no not crash on me at all anymore 

hope this helps!

0 Likes
acehax
Adept I

I got exactly the same problem, AMD need to fix the driver problem.

0 Likes