Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

RX Vega 64 BSOD on driver install

I picked up an MSI Vega. When I install the card and try to install the 17.3 package from msi, or the 17.8 package from AMD I will get the BSOD about halfway through the driver installation. If I force windows to find and install the appropriate driver through device manager, It will also BSOD as it installs the driver. This card has done this on 3 seperate machines. I have had no problem installing the 17.3 package or the 17.8 package with my rx470 installed. Just with the vega, right as it tries to refresh the screen with the new drivers. Is this card DOA or is there a known issue with the vega drivers atm?

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Re: RX Vega 64 BSOD on driver install

Same here, it errors on ATIkmdag.sys and says this driver is not for your system. It's win 10 64,as is the driver package. Does it on a clean windows install with a fresh driver install,exactly as you describe it. Does it on the last driver version also

motherboard is a gigabyte ga-970a-ds3p with current bios

cpu amd fx 6350

psu Lepa 1000 watt

memory 16 gbs ddr3 1600

Os win 10 64 clean install

graphics radeon vega xtx

I know a weak machine for a powerful card, I won it though. I wonder if its not compatible with my mb

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

Don't take my word on this, Since you didn't post your computer specs, But it does sound like your card is DOA. Since it did BSOD on three separate computers. Using both MSI and AMD drivers. I would try and RMA it and get another card.

Could it be that your Power Supply is too weak and when the Vega starts working it causes a BSOD?

Maybe someone else may have an idea why your VEGA is causing a BSOD when installing it driver. But you first need to post your computer specs including Windows OS , PSU, etc.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Miniboss
Miniboss

you guys could indicate this topic, Sapphire RX Vega 64 Watercooled Version, Bluescreen during driver installation since you already answear there and you are having the same issue.

AMD Issue Reporting Form

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor III

After seeing Hotrith posted link, it does seem to be a AMD driver problem. I imagine the best person to know would be RAY_M or AMD MATT.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

My apologies. My system is as follows

i7 3770

Gigabyte P67A-UD4-B3 on F8 bios (most recent)
16 GB of DDR3
MSI RX Vega 64 8gb Aircooled
Windows 10 Pro. 64bit - Creators update.
750w PSU

The other 2 systems I tested in were

4790k and fx6350 builds. Both on gigabyte boards, ample ram, the 4790k build supporting pcie3.0. 950w PSU in the amd build, 1200w PSU in the intel build. Both on win 10 pro 64 creators update...both fully updated. both on most recent bios updates also (these systems arent mine so I dont know exactly what mobo is in them etc)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

Just came in to say I have the same exact issue. EVGA x58 Mobo with Windows 10. I get a BSOD error with atikmdag.sys when trying to install the drivers. If there is no fix this card will be going back. Looks like AMD's "awesome" drivers strike again.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept I
Adept I

I fixed it by exchanging my card for a 1080. Its the first nvidia card ive owned, but its won me over

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Adept II
Adept II

Unfortunately for me Nvidia is not an option. My x58 board has a Pheonix BIOS and Nvidia cards GTX 600 and newer will not work with Sleep mode, a feature I use daily. Hopefully AMd will fix this, if not I'll stick with my RX480. Please leave the thread as unanswered in the hopes that AMD might see this and do something.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Journeyman III
Journeyman III

Fixed the issue on a PCIE 2.0 Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3.

Updated the BIOS to UEFI bios, and it worked like a charm.

I had the same issue with a VEGA FE that I ended up returning.

0 Kudos