cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

md5man
Adept I

RX Vega 56 random driver crashes

2 Years and RX Vega 56 still doesn't have proper driver support. Some of the cards have an issue where the driver will crash every few minutes randomly even under no work load. I happen to own one of these cards. AMD released a driver that fixes this: Driver 17.11.3 which is less likely to crash but still crashes.

Articles covering this "Hotfix" Driver:

Gigabyte vega 56 oc 8gb crash randomly all the time with any drivers, except which windows automatic... 

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/59968/amds-new-17-11-3-hotfix-drivers-fix-rx-vega-problems/index.html 

*This is not a PSU issue* I have a relatively new Evga 850 G3 and other people also had decent power supplies.

If anyone knows of a fix or has any recommendations I would be glad to hear them.

Other forums posts I've read suggested the issue was with the HBM2 memory clock speeds crashing, but I haven't investigated this myself yet. Also I did use DDU and so did other people, that doesn't solve the problem.

*edit* As an update the only driver so far that seems to be stable is 17.12.1 after going into wattman and selecting the "power save" profile. 

6 Replies
8-fingered
Adept III

Hate to say it, but I think something may be wrong with your card. I've got two Vega 56s. Only crashes I have are game specific bugs or overclocking failures.

0 Likes
mstfbsrn980
Grandmaster

Your PSU is enough. Connect your graphics card to PSU with two different power cables. Find original clock speeds and voltages for Vega 56, set these values with WattMan, and try to fix these problems.

0 Likes

Possibly even lower than stock. I can imagine maybe (however unlikely) a real silicon lottery loser making it past the binning process that isn't stable even at stock settings.

0 Likes

GPU crashes on the desktop do not indicate that the card is damaged. Maybe with CRU, monitor hertz values are changed and the desktop doesn't work with standard clock speeds. The symptoms of video card damages are clear. Works or not... Is simple.

0 Likes

mstfbsrn980 wrote:

GPU crashes on the desktop do not indicate that the card is damaged. Maybe with CRU, monitor hertz values are changed and the desktop doesn't work with standard clock speeds. The symptoms of video card damages are clear. Works or not... Is simple.

Well, something specific to OPs configuration is screwed up. Would be easy to exonerate the card by swapping with another Vega 56 if it actually is good.

0 Likes
md5man
Adept I

Thanks for your inquiries and suggestions about the situation. As an update the only driver so far that seems to be stable is 17.12.1 after going into wattman and selecting the "power save" profile.

I tried:

These drivers all crashed albeit differently. Some of them would cause my computer to randomly restart, others would freeze and others would crash reload the driver and then crash minutes later.

0 Likes