Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

maddoggyca
Newcomer

RX Drivers + Windows Server 2016

First off, Yes I know  AMD Drivers are Not Supported on Windows serve

how ever... having the ability to install win10 x64 drivers on server 2016 minimal would do a hole lot of good regardless if its supported or not.

Could the AMD team not block the driver install ,

I personally have Win Server 2016 Essentials in my house used for file sharing, Vmware, Web page hosting, game  server hosting and I also need the use of  GFX card to handle video processing, rendering, and compiling.  which is why I personally need  "minimal" Driver install , (settings app would also be nice) (I also do some gaming on it directly when my main gaming rig is in use.)

Im stuck on 17.7.2 because its the last version that didn't block the install and it works and all but its also outdate by a lot. If I knowen AMD blocked the driver install I would have bought a NV 1050ti over the MSI RX 560 Nitro (4gig) solely because of drivers.. (my server requires a GPU due to the fact there zero integrated video, due to being Xeon cpu). So it was either 1 or the other at 75watt or lower is what I was stuck with in chooses..

Trying to install the driver manual via device manager or forcing the .inf/.ini file to install dose not work on the newest driver ether..

once again I know its not support.. which is fine... but don't block users from install driver anyways... if it mucks up the users machine that's entirely on them.. and I personally can deal with that.

7 Replies
matteuk
Adept I

Ive just learned this the hard way. Built a vega server system from scratch on the assumption that drivers would installs on windows server 2016, i mean why not right? ive lost so much money I am thinking about legal action. Im sorry but the software team should be ashamed to do this to people, just terrible. Why AMD? just why?

brian0218
Adept I

I really want to know why it is able to install the drivers on the newest version of Windows 10(1809) but can't be installed on Windows Server 2019(or 2016)?

This is very odd, is there any technical problem stucking AMD?

Tyutyunnik-Aleksey
Journeyman III

С такой же проблемой столкнулся. Не мог долго драйвер найти. Пишет система не подходит. По итогу скачал на каком то форуме старую версию. Одна игра не запустилась только COD WARZONE

0 Likes
sombrero
Adept I

This has been a thorn since forever.  There is a way to use driver 19.2 with an edit to the installer config files.  Beyond that no-go.  That does not mean that amd does not mean to support server 2016.  If you want a recent graphics board that has real driver support, get a radeon pro board.  It won't have the high power multiple fans.  Probably not the high end graphics features that you might want if you are a gamer.  And it will cost you more than a gamer board.  The thing about that is that server 2016 is the most stable gaming os I have found.  Not sure about 2019.  

So why doesn't amd want us to use server 2016 for gaming?  That's a toughie.  As many have noticed nvidia has no such reservation.

0 Likes

19.2???? please show me da way

0 Likes

The driver can be installed on Server 2016, with the modification of two files.

Also see https://community.amd.com/t5/drivers-software/how-to-install-drivers-windows-server-2019-for-rx-5700...

at the bottom of the page.  

Note these instructions should work for all Andrenalin 18.xx and 19.xx series of drivers.

First, for Open GL to work, download and run the Win7 driver to extract the driver files. (By default, these will go into C:/AMD).

Second, edit the .inf file in \Packages\Drivers\Display\W76A_INF\ (ex: C7326032.inf)
Change the lines:

[Manufacturer]
%ATI% = ATI.Mfg, NTamd64.6.1.1, NTamd64.6.0.1
[ATI.Mfg.NTamd64.6.1.1]
To:

[Manufacturer]
%ATI% = ATI.Mfg, NTamd64.10.0, NTamd64.6.0
[ATI.Mfg.NTamd64.10.0]
(That is, replace 6.1.1 with 10.0 which is the Server 2016 kernel number)

Third, edit the file \Config\CIMManifest.xml

Change the lines:

<row>
<td>1</td>
<td>WIN_WIN7_64</td>
<td>6.1</td>
<td>yes</td>
<td></td>
<td></td>
</row>
To:

<row>
<td>1</td>
<td>WIN_Server_2016</td>
<td>10.0</td>
<td>yes</td>
<td></td>
<td>Yes</td>
</row>

Also add ; in front of HKR,,CoInstallers32,%REG_MULTI_SZ%   in the .inf file

That is, comment out that line.

Third, run Setup.exe. You will probably get a warning that the driver isn't signed. Click to install anyway.

0 Likes

I hope this works, I'm gonna put my rx580 in my multiseat gaming server... Got the server 2016 for that sweet multiseat gaming powered by multipoint services and Hyper-V like this chap over on the Linus Tech tips forum

https://linustechtips.com/topic/919833-4-gamers-1-cpu-success/

Unlike this gentleman however I have a mix of AMD and NVIDIA graphics cards... I'm glad there is a work around for AMD's criminally negligent attempt at market segmentation.

Oh and all those mining cards that CAN game (some really can't) ALL OF THEM should have a single HDMI port to avoid becoming ewaste, no frills but not ewaste. Applies equally to NVIDIA.

0 Likes