cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drivers & Software

Remilia
Adept I

RX 7900 XTX Disappointing Driver Crashes

A few days ago I recieved my new RX 7900 XTX (Reference model) and after installtaion of the new drivers and removal of the old drivers it kept stuttering and frequently crashing.

Since then I bought new ram (32GB Corsair Vengance 3200Mhz), checked the card for the known junktion temp problem (delta seems fine with peak 11c difference) and even formated and reinstalled everything on my system.

I also updated BIOS drivers and chipset drivers, tried to undervolt the card and even swap out PSUs for another (750 Watt Corsair 80+ Gold).

Nothing fixed this anoying crashing and it also happens really often like every 3 minutes.

Since im new to AMD cards I wanted to hear the opinion of some AMD veterans on if this is a standard release procedure. Unstable drivers and insanely bad compatibility?

My current specs:
Ram: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 Mhz
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X
GPU: RX 7900 XTX 24GB Ref. edition
Motherboard: B350M VD Pro
PSU: Corsair RM750x

0 Likes
1 Solution
MrLeftCoast
Adept II

Try two things...

re-seat your GPU

if using ram XMP profile in bios, disable it and set your ram to its lowest speed. try gaming with ram set to lowest speed.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
MADZyren
Paragon

2600 and B350 with 7900XTX sounds sketchy to be honest.

3200MHz with Ryzen 2600 would not necessarily work.

To actually get rid of old drivers, machine needs to be in safe mode for DDU to work.

0 Likes

Im planning on buying a R9 5900X for 350 Euro in a few days and have only tested the card with my currently available hardware.

I didnt expect to get great results but for it to be crashing my entire pc in Half life Alyx when im just looking around is kind of not normal.

Also good advice (for the old driver deletion) but I wasnt clear enought, I completely reinstalled windows from a fresh image and then only installed the new ones on it. 

0 Likes
MrLeftCoast
Adept II

Try two things...

re-seat your GPU

if using ram XMP profile in bios, disable it and set your ram to its lowest speed. try gaming with ram set to lowest speed.

I heard many people talk about this but why would lower ram speeds affect stability of the GPU?

Im gonna try this thanks for the advice.

UPDATE:
Surprisingly enough this worked? And I rly cant tell why haven't found the explanation yet.
Its still not the performance one might have excepted from a 7900 XTX tho that is probably the CPUs fault. 

0 Likes

Sometimes just enabling the XMP isn't enough to get a fully stable system, depending on the MB and RAM used, it might be required to further finetune certain settings, like timings and voltages in order to get the RAM fully stable. In addition the Zen and Zen+ CPU generations are more prone to memory issues than the newer Zen 2 and Zen 3 models.

0 Likes

>why would lower ram speeds affect stability of the GPU 

That is not the case here. Not all 2000-series Ryzen can handle 3200MT/s. If you used to have a bottlenecking GPU, it might have slowed down machine enough to make it appear stable, while it likely wasn't.

XMP setting tells the system how fast memory can run, not how fast CPUs memory controller can work. Simpy run it either as is or 1.35V Dram voltage and 2600MHz and apply XMP only after you have a better CPU.

0 Likes
CHONKYWOMP
Journeyman III

i know this might sound stupid, i have the 7900 xtx when i bought it there were only 2 power cables in the box so i had to use a splitter cable i assume its called ( 2 cables for 3 ports) i purchased a 3rd power cable last week and now i haven't had a driver crash since.

Your reply/coment is a very relevint and a good reminder to those of us that build on a regular basis ( we tend get a bit complacent after doing/building rigs so many times/or for years) . Also your comment should be a prime rule these days for those just starting out  , specialy those new to building a higher-end rig with a fully modular psu and highend gpu's with 2/3/4 connectors . 

Also make sure to put those multiple gpu connetors in the right ports of the (modular) psu .

Cudo's to you ChonkWomp .

0 Likes